Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #76
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Updated to this point.

It looks like we have 8 fully nominated choices - listed in post #1 (and #3).

Please let me know if there are any errors, or it stands as it is.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #77
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Updated to this point.

It looks like we have 8 fully nominated choices - listed in post #1 (and #3).

Please let me know if there are any errors, or it stands as it is.
Only thing to add (and it will only matter if the book is chosen) is that both you and Bob have only an Inkmesh search for "The Windup Girl" and that search only brings up Amazon. The book is available at Baen in multiple formats here. (And cheaper )
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #78
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
I third "A Canticle for Leibowitz" by Arthur M. Miller Jr.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #79
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
That would have been my fourth vote.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #80
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
I'll third Jon's choice of Time's Eye by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter. That's my last nomination.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #81
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Only thing to add (and it will only matter if the book is chosen) is that both you and Bob have only an Inkmesh search for "The Windup Girl" and that search only brings up Amazon. The book is available at Baen in multiple formats here. (And cheaper )
I added the Baen link. Thanks, it is very helpful to have the additional links.

I put it in post #3 and up in the list in post #1.

I'll update..

It looks like we now have the 10 fully nominated books.

I believe nominations are closed now.

EDIT: If anyone has additional links to the nominated books (not already found in the listed links), please let me know.

Last edited by dreams; 10-23-2010 at 06:36 PM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #82
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Whoop! Now the mind-numbing choice begins......
Old 10-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #83
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
It looks like we now have the 10 fully nominated books.

I believe nominations are closed now.
Should we check with Jon first??
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #84
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Should we check with Jon first??
Yep, probably should. Some of those might not fit the criteria or rules.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #85
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
I'll third Jon's choice of Time's Eye by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter. That's my last nomination.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #86
nieperdragon
nieperdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by obs20 View Post
Actually, Amazon does list 1984 under Science Fiction/Fantasy.
There's a lot behind this book, but if you need to file it, it's definitely science fiction. Especially if you bear in mind when it was written.

BTW I'm new to this thread so I might be behind the times but I throughly recommend this. I tried reading it when I was much younger but I just didn't get it. Recently I've been going back over all that stuff every body talks about but few have actually read (1984, Dracula, Jekyll and Hyde etc). This time round 1984 was a huge revelation. A genuine page turner. I'm not sure if the ending was unexpected or maybe I was just hoping for the happy ending (which is not like me). Either way it was thought provoking, gripping and not a little shocking. A true masterpiece.
nieperdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #87
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Got it in just under the wire.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #88
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Got it in just under the wire.
My man!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #89
nguirado
Wizard
nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I'm reading Canticle now. I fifth it.
nguirado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:22 AM   #90
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
BTW, for those who have read A Canticle For Leibowitz, there is a sequel called Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman. Unfortunately it only seems to be available in dead tree form.

Here is the link to it at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Saint-Leibowit...7901091&sr=8-6
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote