Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Model update lifecycle

With the recent announcement of both the aura one and aura HD 2nd edition, does this fall in line with kobo's model release updates? Can one assume these are the new readers for the next year or so? I haven't followed when new models have been released in a few years. Or does kobo stager model updates for each device. For example Glo then glo HD so one can assume glo HD 2nd edition to compliment the other models.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:08 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
It's been two years since the H2O was released, less than a year since the Glo HD, and I don't recall how long since the 6" model that's actually meant to be replaced with the new One 6".

As it stands the Glo HD is arguably the better buy versus the 6" One. But that may change.

In any event I don't think we'll see a new release next year unless there's some groundbreaking hardware development fairly soon. Though this may be Kobo syncing the release cycles of their devices up.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
It's been two years since the H2O was released, less than a year since the Glo HD, and I don't recall how long since the 6" model that's actually meant to be replaced with the new One 6".

As it stands the Glo HD is arguably the better buy versus the 6" One. But that may change.

In any event I don't think we'll see a new release next year unless there's some groundbreaking hardware development fairly soon. Though this may be Kobo syncing the release cycles of their devices up.
Not looking for the latest and greatest but don't want to purchase if the updated model is only a month or two away. I like the new one just not crazy about a 7.8" screen size.

JJ
Old 08-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
The time would be now

Glo HD - released earlier this year
Kobo One 7.8" - releasing in September
Kobo Aura 2 - releasing in September

Really the only models to avoid would be the Kobo Touch as it's a bit old at this point. And the Kobo H2O to a very much lesser degree than the Touch, I really only suggest avoiding it because the One is a pretty clear replacement for the H2O. If you don't care about the extra screen size of the One vs the H2O, nor the Comfortlight Pro features of the One, nor the Overdrive features of the One (we've had no confirmation that OD support will appear on the H2O), then the H2O is perfectly good large ereader.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:39 PM   #5
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
The time would be now

Really the only models to avoid would be the Kobo Touch as it's a bit old at this point. And the Kobo H2O to a very much lesser degree than the Touch, I really only suggest avoiding it because the One is a pretty clear replacement for the H2O. If you don't care about the extra screen size of the One vs the H2O, nor the Comfortlight Pro features of the One, nor the Overdrive features of the One (we've had no confirmation that OD support will appear on the H2O), then the H2O is perfectly good large ereader.
I'm leaning towards the glo HD I think. I appreciate your response.

JJ
Old 08-22-2016, 10:28 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The time would be now

The Glo HD was released early last year. So, April or May 2015.
Quote:
@jerryleejr: Kobo's releases happen in either March/April/May or August/September/October. So, we won't see another new device for at least six months. And I don't think we'll see one early next year.

To my mind the next device would be a 6" device with the extra hardware features of the Aura One. So, a "Glo One".

All the currently available devices are good. They will work for a long time no matter what new hardware is released. Look at them and decide which you think fits your use and buy it. Don't wait for a mythical device that might be available in six or twelve months.

For Overdrive, I think that Kobo will release this to the other devices. I think it would be a mistake for them not to. The main question is the timing. But, I can see them only releasing it to the currently available devices (Glo HD, Aura H2O) and not the older devices no longer sold (Touch, Glo, Mini). The Touch 2 could be excluded as well as it is a budget device. And I'm surprised it isn't on the Aura Edition 2.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:33 PM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
I'm leaning towards the glo HD I think. I appreciate your response.

JJ
In my opinion the Glo HD remains an excellent buy at the moment if you're after a six inch reader.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:36 PM   #8
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The Glo HD was released early last year. So, April or May 2015.

@jerryleejr: Kobo's releases happen in either March/April/May or August/September/October. So, we won't see another new device for at least six months. And I don't think we'll see one early next year.

To my mind the next device would be a 6" device with the extra hardware features of the Aura One. So, a "Glo One".

All the currently available devices are good. They will work for a long time no matter what new hardware is released. Look at them and decide which you think fits your use and buy it. Don't wait for a mythical device that might be available in six or twelve months.

For Overdrive, I think that Kobo will release this to the other devices. I think it would be a mistake for them not to. The main question is the timing. But, I can see them only releasing it to the currently available devices (Glo HD, Aura H2O) and not the older devices no longer sold (Touch, Glo, Mini). The Touch 2 could be excluded as well as it is a budget device. And I'm surprised it isn't on the Aura Edition 2.
I learned a long time ago if you wait for the next latest and greatest you will always be waiting...I like everything about the Aura one expect the size, I've been reading on a PRS T1 and also my iPad mini to compare the screen sizes. I prefer the smaller screen and portability. So I guess it's more of a get the glo HD now or keep using the T1 for a few more months until Kobo releases a smaller device with the features of the "One"

JJ
Old 08-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #9
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
The Glo HD is currently on sale in Canada.

If you're in the States, many people recommend buying online from Chapters, as you can take advantage of the exchange rate.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #10
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
The Glo HD is currently on sale in Canada.

If you're in the States, many people recommend buying online from Chapters, as you can take advantage of the exchange rate.
Shipping is 2-3weeks, and I'm assuming the price already reflects the exchange rate?

JJ
Old 08-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #11
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
The price on Chapters/Indigo is always in CDN $. So, given today's exchange rate, a Glo HD would cost roughly $93.00 US. There is shipping, of course, and possibly even a bit of duty, but it's still quite the improvement over paying in US$ from the Kobo US store.

Also, there's the whole Visa Checkout discount on right now too. If that does apply (and as near as I can tell, it does) then that would be another 15% off if you can use Visa Checkout.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:10 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Shipping is 2-3weeks, and I'm assuming the price already reflects the exchange rate?

JJ
I don't think so as the exchange rate is constantly changing.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #13
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I don't think so as the exchange rate is constantly changing.
I assumed it used your IP address for location. I'll see what it does at checkout.

JJ
Old 08-23-2016, 09:30 PM   #14
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Quote:
I assumed it used your IP address for location. I'll see what it does at checkout.
Pretty sure it will bill you in Canadian $. Your credit card will convert and may ding you a fee for conversion but with the current Can$ vs US$ spread you'd still be better off buying from Chapters. Kobo U.S. will sell you in U.S. $ but they just have a set price for Canada and the U.S. that really has no particular relation to current exchange rate.
While it says shipping is 2-3 weeks most of the reports I've seen on here are well under a week. Chapters is covering themselves for that rare occasion when your parcel happens to get held up at the border for no apparent reason.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:13 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Not looking for the latest and greatest but don't want to purchase if the updated model is only a month or two away. I like the new one just not crazy about a 7.8" screen size.

JJ
Have you thought of the H2O? It's a 6.8" screen and it's very nice for a larger screen since the 7.8" screen is too large for you. I like the extra screen space. It's not too large.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote