Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
any new 5" e-ink devices on the horizon?

I know that Pocketbook is promising one in the summer (so may come by Christmas ), and I am aware of the new Trekstor Pyrus, which is however smaller than 5" - does anybody know of any other 5" e-ink ereaders coming out in 2013?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I don't know of the upcoming ereaders in 2013, but I know about the 5" Kobo Mini.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
I don't know of the upcoming ereaders in 2013, but I know about the 5" Kobo Mini.
Yes I do know about that, as I own one! But after a couple of months it gave up on me, and I am at the crossroad of whether to replace it with another Mini or to change brand. The Mini has a lot going for it (besides side, I do very much like the kepub.epub rendering, which e.g. allows you to see footnotes in pop-up, which is great for non-fiction). On the other hand, it is quite bad on pdf (at least as compared with the 5" pocketbook), so I gave up reading pdf documents completely (a big minus as for work I have zillions of pdf documents), while with the 360 I had no issues even on such a small screen.

So my doubt is whether to hold off any decision for a few more months (I have another reader, but as a 9.6" is definitely not portable) in case something better comes along (Pocketbook has discontinued the production of 360).
Old 03-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Yes I do know about that, as I own one! But after a couple of months it gave up on me, and I am at the crossroad of whether to replace it with another Mini or to change brand. The Mini has a lot going for it (besides side, I do very much like the kepub.epub rendering, which e.g. allows you to see footnotes in pop-up, which is great for non-fiction). On the other hand, it is quite bad on pdf (at least as compared with the 5" pocketbook), so I gave up reading pdf documents completely (a big minus as for work I have zillions of pdf documents), while with the 360 I had no issues even on such a small screen.

So my doubt is whether to hold off any decision for a few more months (I have another reader, but as a 9.6" is definitely not portable) in case something better comes along (Pocketbook has discontinued the production of 360).
It is going to depend on a lot of factors.

Are you looking to buy online books? Kobo bookstore has a decent selection of books.

I don't know much about the Trekstor Pyrus since it is not sold in Canada.

Do you plan to buy the Trekstor Pyrus online?

Maybe this review will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT8F3G4ceHc
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
It is going to depend on a lot of factors.

Are you looking to buy online books? Kobo bookstore has a decent selection of books.

I don't know much about the Trekstor Pyrus since it is not sold in Canada.

Do you plan to buy the Trekstor Pyrus online?

Maybe this review will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT8F3G4ceHc
RZetlin,
yes I know about the Trekstor Pyrus, but the 4.6" is too small, while the 6" is too large - I really need to know about which new 5" eink models are going to be out there this year, then I'll be happy to research for myself (and report back) what they are like, is just that I need help in finding out what is announced to be out there. There seems to be a dearth of 5" models...
Advert
Old 03-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I have the feeling that the releases are past the summer for the fall/Christmas mark. If that's the case, I may be a little early to have heard about possible new products.

Kobo fr promised a news for this evening and I was hoping for a hint on new models. Actually it was the release of Jelly Bean (good for the Arc owners). So I'm back to square one
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
You could consider looking for a used / refurbed Sony 350. With Prs+, it is the best pdf reader of its size. But I wouldn't pay too much.

Personally I would convert the pdfs to an epub.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Personally I would convert the pdfs to an epub.
ideally, yes, but for technical texts (with many formulas etc) this is sadly not an option - really looking forward to full Maths integration in EPUB3, but that is still a long way away...