Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch & Kobo Arc
Angry Issue since update to 2.4

Ever since I updated to this new version on my kobo touch it goes into sleep mode after I have just woken it up - within maybe 5- 10 seconds. I never had this problem before and find it extremely annoying. I'll be in the middle of a paragraph, or line and poof, off it goes.

It would not be so bad if it instantly awoke - but it takes another 5-10 seconds for it to wake up... I know, not long in the grand scheme of things, but annoying none the less.

Also it seems to take much longer to navigate between screens, to change a page, to bring up the contents etc. It was slow before, but now it is pathetic.

I wish I had not updated, but I wanted to be able to use the archive feature. Normally I don't update it unless I see there is something that really captures my attention.

Any idea when these will be fixed?
cyndersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndersk View Post
Ever since I updated to this new version on my kobo touch it goes into sleep mode after I have just woken it up - within maybe 5- 10 seconds. I never had this problem before and find it extremely annoying. I'll be in the middle of a paragraph, or line and poof, off it goes.

It would not be so bad if it instantly awoke - but it takes another 5-10 seconds for it to wake up... I know, not long in the grand scheme of things, but annoying none the less.

The return to sleep if the Kobo is woken up and there is no activity seems to take about 60-70 seconds for most people who have mentioned the issue. Your 5-10 seconds seems a bit faster than that. That seems to be a by design behaviour intended to put the Kobo back to sleep if it was accidentally woken up -- I suspect mostly for sleep cover users.

OTOH, my Glo and my daughter's Touch take less than a second to wake up from releasing the power switch. Page navigation seems, if anything, slightly faster than in the older firmware revisions.

I'd suggest that you might want to consider trying two suggestions. The first would be signing out from your account (Settings, Account, Sign Out) and then signing in again which seems to clean up quite a few database related issues. If that doesn't make any difference, try the Factory Reset from the Device Information menu. The latter wipes any sideloaded books on the internal storage, will downgrade your software to the factory version, etc. so it takes quite a bit longer as a firmware update and full database rebuild will be needed. Factory resets are a great argument for having your sideloaded content on a uSD card that can be removed and re-inserted.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
If anything my Touch seems faster after the last upgrade to 2.4.0. I'd definitely try what was suggested above.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Same problem here. 1 minute to sleep then 1 more til power off. This happens for ech setting unless I set it to 'never' sleep/power.

Wtf kobo?
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you wake the device and touch the screen within the first minute, is it still going to sleep? There is a bug/feature in 2.4.0 that puts the device back to sleep in a minute if you don't touch the screen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Will not do a reset as ALL my books are loaded via calibre. I HATE the way KOBO handles the loading of books, so don't use it. Not about the sign out and back in since I don't use the store on my kobo, but that I will try.

As for it going to sleep, I've been trying to purposely touch the screen after I wake it up, but that is also frustrating since once I touch the middle of the screen lets say to bring up the menu I have to wait up to 2 minutes for it to respond.

I've found that this has always been an issue on my kobo.

Thanks for the suggestions tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The return to sleep if the Kobo is woken up and there is no activity seems to take about 60-70 seconds for most people who have mentioned the issue. Your 5-10 seconds seems a bit faster than that. That seems to be a by design behaviour intended to put the Kobo back to sleep if it was accidentally woken up -- I suspect mostly for sleep cover users.

OTOH, my Glo and my daughter's Touch take less than a second to wake up from releasing the power switch. Page navigation seems, if anything, slightly faster than in the older firmware revisions.

I'd suggest that you might want to consider trying two suggestions. The first would be signing out from your account (Settings, Account, Sign Out) and then signing in again which seems to clean up quite a few database related issues. If that doesn't make any difference, try the Factory Reset from the Device Information menu. The latter wipes any sideloaded books on the internal storage, will downgrade your software to the factory version, etc. so it takes quite a bit longer as a firmware update and full database rebuild will be needed. Factory resets are a great argument for having your sideloaded content on a uSD card that can be removed and re-inserted.

Regards,
David
Old 03-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you load all books via calibre then it's really easy to reset and reload. One method would be to use the reading list plugin and add all books currently on the Kobo to a list. With the device plugged in, sort the library view by the on device column and then add all those books to a to reload list.

The other approach is just to plug the Kobo in and do an copy of the directory tree, and then after the reset copying all back.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
As for it going to sleep, I've been trying to purposely touch the screen after I wake it up, but that is also frustrating since once I touch the middle of the screen lets say to bring up the menu I have to wait up to 2 minutes for it to respond.

I've found that this has always been an issue on my kobo.
If it's taking that long for something to come up, you have some sort of problem with your device. Factory reset would be a good start to try and fix it, but that's just not normal to have to wait 2 minutes for a menu to come up.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Soon I hope. But when this bug is fixed, you can be sure that they've come up with some other ones.
Kobo doesn't grasp the concept "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Unfortunally.

Last edited by Anak; 03-05-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Soon I hope. But when this bug is fixed, you can be sure that they've come up with some other ones.
Kobo doesn't grasp the concept "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Unfortunally.
This user has something atypical going on with their device; it's not an across-the-board 'bug' in the 2.4 firmware that's causing this, as is clear from all the other helpful comments. Your content-free whinge is not useful or helpful for anyone in this thread.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
cyndersk
Enthusiast

I have tried all the suggestions - up to and including a reset, and neither issue has been improved. In fact yesterday I brought my reader out of sleep mode - started reading and before I even completed a paragraph it went back to sleep. I am not a slow reader, so this occurred in under a minute.

The slow response is also still there. I would open an issue with kobo but historically their support is pretty much non-existant for all the good they do.

I'm thinking that the next time I purchase a reader it will be either a sony or a kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
This user has something atypical going on with their device; it's not an across-the-board 'bug' in the 2.4 firmware that's causing this, as is clear from all the other helpful comments. Your content-free whinge is not useful or helpful for anyone in this thread.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I have tried all the suggestions - up to and including a reset, and neither issue has been improved. In fact yesterday I brought my reader out of sleep mode - started reading and before I even completed a paragraph it went back to sleep. I am not a slow reader, so this occurred in under a minute.
Is this waking with a book opened? If so, just swipe vertically on the screen. This will reset the sleep timer without changing page or opening the menus.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote