Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-28-2018, 05:41 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm reading of complaints about the battery of the Kindle Oasis 2. The original Kindle is 10.4oz. The KO2 is 6.8oz. I've not read of complaints that the original Kindle s too heavy. I don't think 3.6oz is all that much. If the KO2 was 10.4oz, then the battery could be larger and have more power between charges. Also, the original Kindle was not as thin. We got along find with thicker/heavier devices and I didn't see complaining that it's too heavy and too thick. If give the choice of the KO2 as it is or a KO3 that's thicker/heavier with noticeably better battery life, I would go for the KO3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:44 PM   #32
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm reading of complaints about the battery of the Kindle Oasis 2. The original Kindle is 10.4oz. The KO2 is 6.8oz. I've not read of complaints that the original Kindle s too heavy. I don't think 3.6oz is all that much. If the KO2 was 10.4oz, then the battery could be larger and have more power between charges. Also, the original Kindle was not as thin. We got along find with thicker/heavier devices and I didn't see complaining that it's too heavy and too thick. If give the choice of the KO2 as it is or a KO3 that's thicker/heavier with noticeably better battery life, I would go for the KO3.

I never owned the original Kindle, but my original Nook was heavier than I liked at the time. I believe both had user replaceable batteries. And yes, I lugged it around with me everywhere in spite of the weight. But that was before I owned a smartphone that also has to be carried with me.

I'm thinking very few people are still using their original Kindle devices, perhaps because they LIKE a lighter device? We also all got along just fine with lower resolution screens and no front lights in the early days, yet I VASTLY prefer a 300 dpi screen and frontlight for reading pleasure now that such ARE available. And frontlight is definitely a feature that decreases battery life when used. But most of us are OK with that.

I *do* see people complaining about Kindle Oasis battery life, but most of what I'm seeing indicates the battery life is reasonably comparable with my Kobo Aura ONE? People also have complained about the battery life on the Aura ONE, and it definitely doesn't last as long as my Aura HD, but in practice, it is fine. Might the KOA2 complaints simply be because people are used to the longer battery life of a smaller screen device? Is it really that big of a deal to charge a reader once or twice a week? Or maybe what we need are devices with solar recharge capability?

Anyway, I'm hardly against having better battery life in an e-ink reader, but I really don't want the extra weight. Kobo hit a good balance I think, with the 7.8" screen on the ONE, perhaps Amazon did not do quite so well. Given my 6.8" Aura HD had good battery life, perhaps Amazon didn't go quite large enough on screen size to make people happy with the battery life trade off?

One thing sure, we all each have different needs in our readers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Given that most people are not able to change the battery and when the battery is done, so is the Reader. That's a wast of good hardware for the sake of a dead battery.

Having a better battery means (for most people) that the Reader will last longer.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:53 PM   #34
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Given that most people are not able to change the battery and when the battery is done, so is the Reader. That's a wast of good hardware for the sake of a dead battery.

Having a better battery means (for most people) that the Reader will last longer.

True, but I've owned readers since 2011, none have died of battery death yet. For that matter, my first tablet (Nexus 7 2013) is still kicking along quite well even after years of heavy use.

I put the KA1 in its official cover on the scale, it weighed 13 ounces. I then picked a 260 page hardback off my shelves and weighed it, came in at 15.5 ounces.

So going with heavier and thicker larger readers would potentially put them at weighing MORE than a hardcover book. I'm not seeing too many manufacturers wanting to do that in this day and age! Especially since they really don't have a vested interest in making a reader that lasts forever. I don't see it as a huge issue if I do need to buy a reader every 5-6 years. It's something that can be budgeted for.

There's a lot of pleasure in having a device that can go everywhere with me and not cause my arm to hurt while using it or my knees to hurt while walking around with it in my bag.

I'm willing to give up the possibility of my reader lasting 8-10 years or longer for that. My reader can be replaced, my body cannot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:22 AM   #35
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:

Battery on my older Kindle Dx (white model) is at only 5 % i.e. enough for about 200-250 page turns, but I can still use it without much hassle for the plain reading (audio books or mp3 consume more energy), either by using external battery whenever needed, to charge it for 5-6 minutes for additional 100-150 page turns as I read, or using any wall socket or computer beforehand for 5-10 minutes.

I've bought this "new" 15 $ battery from China and after a month it was as good as my old one, for 200-300 page turns only, whereas luckily a new 30 $ battery for black Kindle DX was truly as new.

Yeah, it would be a pity if it was not possible to change a completely dead battery, even with an almost dead one.

Last edited by Marinolino; 03-01-2018 at 03:48 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:33 PM   #36
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
i still like my Paperwhite, planning to get the latest Paperwhite
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:36 PM   #37
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinolino View Post
Battery on my older Kindle Dx (white model) is at only 5 % i.e. enough for about 200-250 page turns, but I can still use it without much hassle for the plain reading (audio books or mp3 consume more energy), either by using external battery whenever needed, to charge it for 5-6 minutes for additional 100-150 page turns as I read, or using any wall socket or computer beforehand for 5-10 minutes.

I've bought this "new" 15 $ battery from China and after a month it was as good as my old one, for 200-300 page turns only, whereas luckily a new 30 $ battery for black Kindle DX was truly as new.

Yeah, it would be a pity if it was not possible to change a completely dead battery, even with an almost dead one.
how did you replace the battery in Kindle Dx
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:07 PM   #38
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven168 View Post
Tutorial
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:18 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven168 View Post