Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-20-2018, 05:27 AM   #31
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
13531 items right now, I have a couple thousand more than haven't been added but some are duplicates.

Have I mentioned I love calibre? Screw directories file trees... life wouldn't be the same without this software. So many features, one day I am going to run a server to share my library and book scarcity will not be an issue for anyone ever again. Once we figure out the food thing life on this planet should be pretty swell <3
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #32
urnmo
urnmo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
a mere 3,181. And here I thought I was already in too deep. Thanks for enabling, y'all.
urnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2018, 07:46 PM   #33
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmo View Post
a mere 3,181. And here I thought I was already in too deep. Thanks for enabling, y'all.
There is a guy on reddit using calibre to organize 30,000 items and I think he has more now
Old 11-22-2018, 02:32 AM   #34
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung tab s , fire HDX 8.9, fire hd 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
There is a guy on reddit using calibre to organize 30,000 items and I think he has more now
30k is trivial- a search of this board will find claims of 300K or more books in calibre

& it seems to be bad form to ask if they were all legit purchases, or if they plan to live another 3000 years to actually read them
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:52 AM   #35
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
30k is trivial- a search of this board will find claims of 300K or more books in calibre

& it seems to be bad form to ask if they were all legit purchases, or if they plan to live another 3000 years to actually read them
We are talking about Calibre LIBRARIES. Where does this requirement that we should limit our libraries only to books we will definitely read. Or its corollary, that we should feel guilty if we have more books than we can read, or if we decide that a book we have will never be read.

I suspect most of those with truly large libraries acquired them in the old days when attitudes to piracy were a little different, and publishers had little or no interest in ebooks. Many also take advantage of the very good public domain ebooks which are now available from various sources.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #36
Aprril8
Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: none
I have 3400 books on my computer. Some having borrowed from the library. I have Adobe Reader.
Aprril8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:23 AM   #37
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
We are talking about Calibre LIBRARIES. Where does this requirement that we should limit our libraries only to books we will definitely read. Or its corollary, that we should feel guilty if we have more books than we can read, or if we decide that a book we have will never be read.

I suspect most of those with truly large libraries acquired them in the old days when attitudes to piracy were a little different, and publishers had little or no interest in ebooks. Many also take advantage of the very good public domain ebooks which are now available from various sources.
56,000 items maybe in US Public Domain. I would likely be satisfied with *only* those books to read. There is such an awesome amount of material before we die let alone TV and soon VR content. Makes me giddy

I want it all simply because I can have it all. Why not? Sure, the destruction of society is unlikely but what about destitution? That isn't too far off the charts of possibility. There is nothing wrong of having 'too much' of an infinite resource but too little of the same is borderline irresponsibility.

I may have brought that too far. But like I said... thinking about it makes me giddy!
Old 11-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #38
compurandom
Addict
compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo aura h2o
Public domain? I've got nearly 700 books in my library that are manuals downloaded from manufacturer's websites. (And probably a few hundred more in my calibre library at work.) I doubt these would be considered public domain, but I'm also sure it's not a copyright violation to collect them. (Yes, I've probably at least skimmed most of those, and likely at least touched the related device.)

Calibre has been great for organizing material like that, as well as adding notes and tags where the manual's title doesn't match the device's part number(s).
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #39
calibrejunkie
calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Android Phone, Original Kindle, Surface Pro 3
How large is your Calibre library?

This is exactly my line of reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
56,000 items maybe in US Public Domain. I would likely be satisfied with *only* those books to read. There is such an awesome amount of material before we die let alone TV and soon VR content. Makes me giddy

I want it all simply because I can have it all. Why not? Sure, the destruction of society is unlikely but what about destitution? That isn't too far off the charts of possibility. There is nothing wrong of having 'too much' of an infinite resource but too little of the same is borderline irresponsibility.

I may have brought that too far. But like I said... thinking about it makes me giddy!
calibrejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, library size