Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 05-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #1
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: kindle
Possible New Features, Need Your Opinion!

Hello CC Users!

As we continue to move forward with CC we want to hear your feedback on what our next features should be!

We have some initial ideas from our time working with CC but want to hear what your thoughts are:

- If you could have 1 or 2 of the features below what would they be?
- Is there anything you think a large amount of users would benefit from?

1. Add Mega cloud connection
2. Multi Filter on tags (ex: Action Books + rating of 5 stars)
3. Reading status vs read status
4. Integrate with news outlet for feed of news articles

This is all in the ideation stage so we have to evaluate the level of effort for the options above but getting your feedback would really help us with focusing on what to dig in to.

If easier to send an email, please send to ccfeedback@goldtreeway.com.

Thanks,
Alex
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:18 PM   #2
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMrev View Post
1. Add Mega cloud connection
Those two and in that order of preference.

Kind regards,

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2020, 03:46 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMrev View Post
FWIW, you can already do this two different ways with the current Android CC. In the grouping drawer:
  1. Long press on a group item such as an author and answer the pop-up question. The grouping drawer will reset to contain only book with that item. You can then explore other groups, which will match whatever you choose and whatever you long-pressed on. This method is quite fast.
  2. Uncheck the "Use faster search" in the search box then type whatever calibre-like search expression you like, for example
    Code:
    author:weber and rating:>3
    This search scans the database so can be slow.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:39 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
Those two and in that order of preference.

Kind regards,

[INCANUS]
mega cloud collection is a stupid non starter. there are no available APIs for 3rd parties to use. their prized security model does not allow it.
you cant seriously propose retrieving and typing in your super secret mega encryption key ( which is about 1/2 a page long) into CC ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
mega cloud collection is a stupid non starter. there are no available APIs for 3rd parties to use. their prized security model does not allow it.
you cant seriously propose retrieving and typing in your super secret mega encryption key ( which is about 1/2 a page long) into CC ?
Or you can simply enter your account login - email address and password.
Which should be a bit easier and does not differ from OneDrive, Box, Dropbox etc.

And with regard to Mega Api, Google helps!

Last edited by ottischwenk; 05-21-2020 at 07:34 AM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2020, 08:02 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Or you can simply enter your account login - email address and password.
!
actually its completely different. good luck making it work...
when you first sign up for mega a very long complicated encryption key is created, ciphered with your account password and used for uploads. and there is no password recovery system. lose your password = lose your data.

you would have to give your mega account password to CC ... anyone who accesses CC can steal it, and access all your mega data. there's no secure Oauth mechanism like with google or dropbox where CC never sees the cloud password.

I suggest you study the basic design: ( see below)
also mega deletes inactive accounts, imposes huge speed reductions when caps are hit- its basically a bait & switch product where service quickly becomes rubbish unless you pay and pay.
If I was a developer I would not want the headaches of supporting an interface to something which is basically a pirate file locker [ all that encryption is there ti give mega plausible deniability as to what is in the cloud]
plus its 99% owned by a shell company owned by the chinese...

dont take my work for it - go google it
"This is how MEGA works: When you upload a file, a random password is generated for each file.
The file is ciphered using AES in client, and the ciphered file is uploaded to Mega.
The file password is ciphered with your account password and uploaded with the file.
So, at this point, you have uploaded the file to Mega, but ciphered in AES.
Mega has the ciphered file, and the ciphered password. So they don't know how to access your files.
When you access your account, Mega sends you the ciphered password.
Your client deciphers it with your account password.
If you download the file, the client deciphers it while downloading using the file password.
If you want to share the link, the file password is revealed...
for that reason another user doesn't need your account password in order to access that file."
So the security of your files rely on your account password.
If you lose it, or someone steals it , all the security is broken.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:40 AM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been using Mega for about 20 years and never had a problem.
And the data I have there - I don't care who gets it and reads it.
I use Mega as a reliable buffer that I can access from anywhere.
And the fairy tale that Mega deletes an unused account is simply not true - if I haven't looked after one of my accounts for a long time, the message came that I should take care of Mega; login once and that's it.
In general, you should know what you can entrust to a cloud.
And that's the case with everyone.
And solving an account only for CC with 50 GB of space is no problem at all.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

i could post lots and lots of posts from other forums from people who have lost mega data.
also. Mega's own T&C say

We can immediately suspend or terminate your access to the website and our services without notice to you:

31.3: if you are using a free account and that account has been inactive for over *3 months* or we have been unable to contact you using the email address in your account details.

Termination of free accounts for inactivity or failure to respond: .. We’ve therefore instituted an option for MEGA to terminate inactive accounts or non-responsive accounts after 3 months.

the 50gb deal has definitely reduced to 15 now ( you are historically exempt)

if I was CC developer I would choose not to have to intercept messages like " you have exceeded your bandwidth allowance" - try again in 5 hours. new customers get only 1Gb allowed after trial

its good for you - ok, but sensibly the devs should assess demand for support at look closely at what they would be taking on. it is a very different design to the what box, dropbox etc use
i challenge you to name any 3rd party ( not produced by mega) app in google store that can access mega. because ( as I already said) the only way to do it is with your mega account password. There is no concept of secure authentication as used by dropbox, google drive, one drive... where the app is able to get authorised access without ever seeing your cloud password

this may be why you still have 50gb:
https://www.quora.com/Is-the-MEGA-nz...50-GB-to-15-GB
Is the MEGA.nz free account size reduced from 50 GB to 15 GB?
MEGA has changed its policy involving free accounts for a while now, at least since early 2018. This change in policy was not enforced retroactively though, people who created their free accounts before that change (as I did) still have their 50GB intact. Any account created since has 50GB initially, but that is temporary, falling back to 15GB permanently after a certain period.

also the bandwidth limitations are onerous. exceed them and you get throttled or suspended for hours. a 5Gb download allowance would not be sufficient for c some calibre libraries
"The file-storing service Mega usually cuts free users off once they’ve downloaded around 5GB or so, forcing you to wait hours before you can resume whatever it is you were transferring."- how is an app designer going to handle that ?
Old 05-21-2020, 11:17 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard

ps. i am done with writing about mega
i leave you with this, and suggest anyone who wants it should make the case " for" to the developers, and outline how they see authentication, decryption etc working
https://www.cloudwards.net/review/mega/
note that Kim Dotcom sold out/walked away some time ago. its now owned by shadowy chinese figures hiding behind shell companies.
if i was USA resident( I am not) I would be very wary of relying on it continuing, given the anti chinese sentiment there. It could be banned or severely impeded like Huawei has been.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:57 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IMHO just keep it WORKING with Android OS Updates.
It does pretty much what I wanted (1: I update read status. 2: I use my TAB + Moon+ to check code rendering)

Currently, I have turned OFF auto updates over Stability worries
(If it ain't broke, don't give it a chance to get that way . )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:11 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IMHO just keep it WORKING with Android OS Updates.
It does pretty much what I wanted (1: I update read status. 2: I use my TAB + Moon+ to check code rendering)

Currently, I have turned OFF auto updates over Stability worries
(If it ain't broke, don't give it a chance to get that way . )

Yes, it's in a good state now. I took a precautionary backup.

I know there are issues with it remembering creds for box. But that was an option I tested only in case I ever lose Dropbox. Dropbox works now, that was my biggest peeve with the old version.

I have more or less decided though, because of all this android enforced "toss a file to your reader" nonsense ( with creds to " toss a coin to your Witcher" ) , that I will just use it to download, then auto import the cc folder to a moon reader shelf for the actual reading. I don't need it to tell Calibre about read status, I am ok with doing that manually. I shall not touch the read button.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #12
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Fix it back to the way it was. I do not want or need TWO COPIES of ebooks on my phone. If you can not fix the problem of it making a copy when you open it in a reader app then you might as well give it up.

Other than that major problem--which is a deal killer--it is very good.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #13
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
3. Reading status vs read status

in order of preference
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:21 PM   #14
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Fix it back to the way it was. I do not want or need TWO COPIES of ebooks on my phone. If you can not fix the problem of it making a copy when you open it in a reader app then you might as well give it up.

bernie
You have to blame Google for that. Their OS, their new rules...
Or do what I plan, see my previous post. Download with cc, point moon reader at same folder, add to shelf

We have known for a couple of years, and pre ious developer confirmed, that new versions of the app would have to pass COPIES
Old 05-21-2020, 03:29 PM   #15
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Is the MEGA.nz free account size reduced from 50 GB to 15 GB?.
For new accounts! 15 GB free ist more than anyone else offers.