Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 05-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #1
fantasyvn
fantasyvn began at the beginning.

Device: none
How can I make an ebook from a downloaded website?

Could you pls help me?

I have downloaded the contents of a website, using a free download tool. The content is in a folder and I can see the index.html file.

What are the steps I should take in Calibre Editor to make it an ebook (epub or other format)?

Thank you
fantasyvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyvn View Post
Could you pls help me?

I have downloaded the contents of a website, using a free download tool. The content is in a folder and I can see the index.html file.

What are the steps I should take in Calibre Editor to make it an ebook (epub or other format)?

Thank you
If you really just want to use the editor, open it up and go to "Files-->Import an HTML or DOCX file as a new book". Point it to your html file. That will make a new book with your file, and you can edit it straight away. There may be css and images somewhere in your folder; doing it this way, you will have to get them separately.

For a head start, you can use a conversion. If you do this, you can add metadata along the way:

It depends on what all you actually have in that folder. If all the text you want is in "index.html", then the easiest thing to do is add that html file to Calibre like any other book (it will show up as a zip file). Then convert it to epub. Look at it in the viewer to see what you have, and open the epub in the editor to fix it up if necessary. Again, you'll have to get any extras manually with the editor.

If it came with other files, you may have another folder associated with the html file (it may be called "files"). This might contain css, images, and so on. If you have this, it's probably already inside the main folder you got. Just try adding the whole folder as a book, and converting it; this often works. And if the extras are there, you get them automatically.

Last edited by retiredbiker; 05-24-2020 at 09:22 PM.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote