Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 11-23-2009, 01:39 AM   #1
Zyzybalooba
Zyzybalooba began at the beginning.

Device: none
Questions about the jetBook vs the jetBook Lite

Has anybody tried both the original jetBook and jetBook Lite? I'm hovering inbetween the two. I know that the jetBook is what I want; I just don't know which version I want to get. I've been mulling this over for at least a week now. I tried going around to local electronics/computer stores, and not surprisingly, none of them carry the Jetbook, and few carry eBooks at all. (We don't have a Fry's around my part of the US.)

My main question is about the body of the two. Ectaco's site says they're both the same thickness, but images/video of the jetBook Lite suggest that battery bump makes it much larger than the jetBook. The size itself isn't vastly important; I'm more interested in how it would feel. Does the battery pack actually make it more comfortable to hold?

I'm leaning towards the jetBook Lite because the original jetBook doesn't offer anything over the jetBook Lite for me. I don't mind the use of batteries on the jetBook Lite since I use rechargables in all of my electronics, and I can see some big advantages to swappable batteries. Also, I'm not going to miss the mp3-playing capabilities, as I already have a good mp3 player that I'd rather use. My biggest concern with the jetBook Lite is the lack of a case or sleeve included with the product. I expect it to be bumping around in a bag or backpack daily, so a case is a must; however, all of the sleeves I've seen push the price over that of the original jetBook. Are there any good sleeves for the jetBook that don't cost over $20?
Zyzybalooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzybalooba View Post
Has anybody tried both the original jetBook and jetBook Lite?...

My biggest concern with the jetBook Lite is the lack of a case or sleeve included with the product. I expect it to be bumping around in a bag or backpack daily, so a case is a must; however, all of the sleeves I've seen push the price over that of the original jetBook. Are there any good sleeves for the jetBook that don't cost over $20?
I'm pretty sure that Kris has one of each and can answer your questions.

I too am concerned about the cost of a case.

I have one other concern about the Lite that I have not seen discussed: The cover of the battery compartment must be removed every few days to change the batteries. How likely is it that the cover's hinge, clip, etc., will break long before the device has given up the ghost?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

I have one other concern about the Lite that I have not seen discussed: The cover of the battery compartment must be removed every few days to change the batteries. How likely is it that the cover's hinge, clip, etc., will break long before the device has given up the ghost?
Duct tape?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

Every few days? That would be a lot of reading...

But I do see your point, and I'm curious as well.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:07 AM   #5
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Yes, I have both units. If you don't need DRM support I will recommend jetBook for $159.99 from NewEgg.com (just $10 more than jetBook-Lite). It comes with case and not so heavy if compare with JetBook-Lite.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #6
Zyzybalooba
Zyzybalooba began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hey, they must have changed their prices sometime in the past week. I swear the jetBooks were $189 and $179 last time I checked. I was planning on getting the Graphite version, but for that price, I think I could justify getting the white one.

Their Open Box prices are great too, but I just don't trust buying Open Box.

Either way, I can wait a little bit to order; nothing is going to arrive before Monday due to Thanksgiving and the holiday weekend.
Zyzybalooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzybalooba View Post
Hey, they must have changed their prices sometime in the past week. I swear the jetBooks were $189 and $179 last time I checked. I was planning on getting the Graphite version, but for that price, I think I could justify getting the white one.

Their Open Box prices are great too, but I just don't trust buying Open Box.

Either way, I can wait a little bit to order; nothing is going to arrive before Monday due to Thanksgiving and the holiday weekend.
yes, $159.99 is the best price for original jetBook
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote