Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
roatto
roatto began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook 3Gen - iRex Iliad - DR800SG
Change Language in DR800SG

has someone try to put the "Language" file present in the DR800S (where is possible choose 7 different languages) on the DR800SG? my wife don't speak english and she has many problems with the menu, I think that it ...can be possible....
roatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:39 AM   #2
vakya
Connoisseur
vakya doesn't littervakya doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, IREX DR800, Kindle 3 y Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by roatto View Post
has someone try to put the "Language" file present in the DR800S (where is possible choose 7 different languages) on the DR800SG? my wife don't speak english and she has many problems with the menu, I think that it ...can be possible....
I've tried changing the ini file, but has not worked. So we must change the firmware.
vakya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
roatto

Change language in DR800SG

vakya,
you think that can be possible ask directly to irex for have a patch ?
Old 03-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
Mr. X
Connoisseur
Mr. X is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex DR800SG
There isn't a single language file, there are a bunch of translation files for each localized program... See the second post in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75946 for a file listing of the differences between S and SG. Copying those locale files over to a SG should work...
Mr. X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
roatto

Change Language DR800SG

thanks Mr. X for your post, you give us a chance, could you explain us which are exactly and the process for copyng the local files to the SG?
thanks in advance
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
Mr. X
Connoisseur

It's not a very straightforward task, unfortunately. Since I already had both extracted filesystems around I tar'd up the locale files and attached them with this message. Copy all three files in the .zip to Personal Documents on your reader, then run the "Install Locales" program. When it's done you can remove all three files. If this doesn't work or the DR starts acting up you can re-install the firmware to remove all traces.
Attached Files
File Type: zip locale.zip (1.09 MB, 391 views)
Old 03-23-2010, 06:31 AM   #7
roatto

Change Language DR800SG

many many thanks Mr. X for your beautiful work, the file is perfect, no any type of problems to the DR800SG after the reboot, is all perfect, but I can not find in "Setting" the languages icon (as in the 800S) or in alls the different "Menu" the possibility to choose the different languages, have you some suggestion?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:21 AM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
many many thanks Mr. X for your beautiful work, the file is perfect, no any type of problems to the DR800SG after the reboot, is all perfect, but I can not find in "Setting" the languages icon (as in the 800S) or in alls the different "Menu" the possibility to choose the different languages, have you some suggestion?
Just a guess:
When changing the DR.ini https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=396 to "first boot" (*) it should ask you for the language of choice after rebooting (initial bootup for the unit then).

(*) just change the "false" into "true". Be careful: Use (on PC) Wordpad and not Notepad, to keep the formatting.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
roatto

Change Language DR800SG

THANKS THANKS AND THANKS AGAIN!!! to Mr. X and mgmueller
now I have (I Think) the only DR800SG in Italian language, but what's important is that my wife is so happy that can use Italian menu, only a last thing, you think that after the next upgrade of April (Note Taking application ecc...) it is possible repeat the operation?
Old 03-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
THANKS THANKS AND THANKS AGAIN!!! to Mr. X and mgmueller
now I have (I Think) the only DR800SG in Italian language, but what's important is that my wife is so happy that can use Italian menu, only a last thing, you think that after the next upgrade of April (Note Taking application ecc...) it is possible repeat the operation?
You're welcome.
I'm pretty sure it will remain possible.
iRex carefully is tracking the various iRex threads in this forum. And they are extremely responsive and customer oriented. Even if, by accident, the option should disappear, they'll certainly re-enable it. I've been pretty surprised anyway, that 800SG doesn't have the language option preinstalled. Yes, it's US only. But at least Spanish and French should be a "must" for US.
BTW: Did you activate the folder "hack"?
It's similar to what you've done before: Just adding a single line to the DR.ini. Then you've got folder view (and still can use the existing "flat" library structure).
Pictures here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=400
And the details here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=392

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-23-2010 at 03:11 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
roatto

Folder Hack

Done! thanks again mgmueller
you are a precious member of this forum and I'm sure that many others appreciates your help
Old 03-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
Mr. X
Connoisseur

A new firmware (or a reflash with the existing firmware) will erase all the translation files. If the SG isn't multilingual in April bump this thread up and I'll create a new .tar file with the translation files... Glad it worked for you.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #13
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I've been pretty surprised anyway, that 800SG doesn't have the language option preinstalled. Yes, it's US only. But at least Spanish and French should be a "must" for US.
If you're including Canada in "US" then yes, French would be important to include. For USA alone it isn't. From the 2000 Census, what people speak at home:
English only – 80.60%
Spanish – 12.03%
Chinese – 0.57%
Tagalog – 0.51%
French – 0.49%
Vietnamese – 0.42%
German – 0.41%
Korean – 0.37%
Russian – 0.31%
Italian – 0.29%
I'd prefer that iRex unify the language options between the 800S and 800SG. More choices can't hurt. And perhaps some of the 0.29% Italian Americans would appreciate it.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #14
roatto

Change Language DR800SG

I have write to the customer support of irex and ask them about the additional languages, if I will have news, about, I will post it immediately
Old 04-09-2010, 03:56 AM   #15
roatto

.tar file

For Mr. X

can you create a new .tar file with the translation language?
thanks in advance