Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #2101
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Sea Change is the fifth in the Jesse Stone series by Robert B. Parker. It has dropped to $1.99 at Kindle and Kobo US.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Change-Jesse-...dp/B000PDYW0Q/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/sea-change-4
Also $1.99 is Fool me Twice book 11 in the Jesse Stone series and Paper Dolls number 20 in the Spencer series(Paper dolls also has add the audio for $3.49)
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #2102
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
This omnibus is free again at Kindle US, but not, at least as of now, at Kobo US. The links below are still good, so you can price-check at Kobo easily if you wish. Last time the omnibus was free for a couple of weeks, but I wouldn't count on it - grab it now if you missed it last time and still want it!

Quote:
An omnibus with the first book and what SYKM describes as two ebook short stories in Diane Capri's Hunt for Jack Reacher series is free right now at Kindle and Kobo US. Titles are:
  • Don't Know Jack
  • Jack in a Box
  • Jack and Kill
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Licensed-Thri...dp/B00ZPPZGV8/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/licensed-to-thrill-1
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2018, 11:37 AM   #2103
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note that Fool Me Twice is actually written by Michael Brandman, and not by Parker himself, in a continuation of the Jesse Stone series. I've read a couple of Brandman's continuation titles and enjoyed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Also $1.99 is Fool me Twice book 11 in the Jesse Stone series and Paper Dolls number 20 in the Spencer series(Paper dolls also has add the audio for $3.49)
Old 05-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #2104
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

All four titles in Rosemary Steven's Beau Brummel historical mystery series and all three titles in her Bebe Bennett 1960's series (written as Rosemary Martin) have dropped to either $0.99 or $1.99 at Kindle US. I've read all of these back in DTB days and have good memories of them - they are pretty high on the cozy/cute factor, though. Not on sale (yet, at least) at Kobo US.

Titles in the Brummel series include:
  • Death on a Silver Tray
  • The Tainted Snuff Box
  • The Bloodied Cravat
  • Murder in the Pleasure Gardens
Titles in the Bennett series include:
  • It's a Mod, Mod, Mod, Mod Murder
  • Twist and Shout Murder
  • Secret Agent Girl
link for all seven: https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/?se...price-asc-rank
Old 05-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #2105
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Note that Fool Me Twice is actually written by Michael Brandman, and not by Parker himself, in a continuation of the Jesse Stone series. I've read a couple of Brandman's continuation titles and enjoyed them.
Thank you Sufue I was about to launch into a rant about authors co-opting others work without being upfront about it until I rechecked and realized I’m blind as a bat it clearly states Michael Brandman. I’ve been putting off an eye check but think I shall wait no longer

Thank you for all your deal posts they are very much appreciated
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2018, 10:57 PM   #2106
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

And another...

The Devil's Apprentice (Nicholas Bracewell, #11)

link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devils-Appr...dp/B00GQDQHKW/

Spoiler:
Quote:
Winter, Witchcraft and Devilish Deceit Faced with the austerities of a bitterly cold English winter, the theatre is deserted and Westfield's Men find themselves out of work. Fortuitously, the company is invited to perform at a country home in Essex; welcome news to the disgruntled players. The company decide it's the perfect opportunity to trial their new play The Witch of Colchester. However, when the group's leading actor begins to fall mysteriously ill, the company fear witchcraft might be involved. Then on the performance night, an audience member inexplicably collapses and dies, paving the way for Nicholas Bracewell to uncover the cause of the strange events taking place in Silvermere.

Quote:
The random Edward Marston titles for £1.90 at Kindle UK continue...

The Roaring Boy is the 7th in Marston's Nicholas Bracewell series.

link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roaring-Boy...dp/B00FO82T6G/
Old 05-24-2018, 08:29 AM   #2107
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Murder Has Nine Lives is the fourteenth and next-to-most-recent (2016) in the Jaine Austen series by Laura Levine. It is a US Kindle Daily Deal at $1.99 today, price-matched at Kobo US.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Murder-Lives-...dp/B0165HUV96/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/murder-has-nine-lives

Spoiler:
Quote:
"I'm crazy about Laura Levine's mystery series. Her books are so outrageously funny." --Joanne Fluke

The future is looking bright for freelance writer Jaine Austen. She's signed up for a new job, she's looking forward to a tropical vacation, and her cat Prozac is slated to star in a major commercial. But when the claws come out behind the scenes, Jaine worries that murder might be the only thing to meow about. . .

A writer's life is far from glamorous. Still, Jaine's new gig to write an ad campaign for Toiletmasters' new line of self-flushing toilets comes with a few perks--including a date with the president's dreamy nephew. And with a much-needed trip to Maui on the horizon, it seems life couldn't get any better--until her cat Prozac is tapped to star in a Skinny Kitty commercial. But Jaine never would have guessed the world of cat food could be quite so catty. . .

Jaine is nervous that Prozac won't be able to take direction, but the finicky furball ditches her diva behavior for the camera, eating and napping on cue like a seasoned pro. But just as Jaine begins dreaming of fame and fortune, Skinny Kitty's inventor drops dead on the set. Everyone is a suspect--including Jaine. And she'll have to get her paws on the truth before the killer takes a swipe at another victim. . .

ADD: I also just noticed that three other titles in this series, including the most recent, are currently priced at $1.99.

Killing Cupid, #12
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Killing-Cupid...dp/B00R511AZ6/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/killing-cupid-3

Death by Tiara, #13
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Death-Tiara-J...dp/B00ONTR4JO/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/death-by-tiara

Death of a Bachelorette, #15
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Death-Bachelo...dp/B01LZCVJIX/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/dea...a-bachelorette

Last edited by sufue; 05-24-2018 at 08:38 AM. Reason: added other titles
Old 05-24-2018, 08:43 AM   #2108
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

The Virgin Kills is a non-series title by Raoul Whitfield. It has dropped to $1.99 at Kindle US and Kobo US (coupon/VIPable).

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Virgin-Kills-...dp/B00MG7BD7Y/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the-virgin-kills-1

Spoiler:
Quote:
A killer stalks the guests of an eccentric millionaire at a Hudson River boating event in this classic thriller from one of the unsung masters of early noir mystery

In the years between the world wars, in the heyday of Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, and Leslie Charteris, Raoul Whitfield was a mystery author to be reckoned with. Considered by many to be more realistic than his famous contemporaries, Whitfield wrote gripping tales of murder and mayhem, full of unanticipated twists and turns. His work was often featured in Black Mask, the legendary mystery magazine of the 1930s. The time is ripe to rediscover one of the godfathers of noir fiction.

The guests of millionaire gambler Eric Vennel are gathered on their eccentric host’s yacht, Virgin, speeding north up the Hudson River toward the Poughkeepsie Regatta, a renowned collegiate competition of boating skill. The crew on board is a motley one, including a famous Hollywood starlet, an acclaimed author, a sports writer, some society swells, a well-known aviator, a gossip columnist, and a hard-boiled newspaper reporter.

Vennel is said to have a lot of money riding on this race. There is also speculation that someone wants him dead, which is why an underworld thug has been brought along to serve as the rich man’s bodyguard. Neither the rumors nor the thug is doing much to alleviate the already considerable tension. And the questionable demise of a favored regatta competitor only heightens the sense of unease. It seems there may indeed be a killer among them—a suspicion that is emphatically confirmed when, one by one, the passengers of the Virgin begin to die.

This ebook includes an introduction by Boris Dralyuk.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:47 AM   #2109
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

B is for Burglar is the Bth in the Kinsey Millhone series by Sue Grafton. It has dropped to £1.09 at Kindle UK.

link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Burglar-Kin...dp/B004P1JFWY/

Spoiler:
Quote:
Winner of the first Anthony Award for Best Novel, B is for Burglar is the second in the Kinsey Millhone mystery series by Sue Grafton.

Female, age thirty-two, self-employed and wiser than she used to be. For Kinsey Millhone, private investigator, only one thing stays the same. When a client sits down in the chair across the desk, she never knows what’s going to happen next . . .

There was nothing about Beverly Danziger to cause Kinsey concern. She was looking for her sister. There was a will to be settled. She paid up front. And if it seemed a lot of money for a routine job, Kinsey wasn’t going to argue.

She kicked herself later for the things she didn’t see – Beverly Danziger did not look as if she needed a few thousand dollars and she didn’t seem like someone longing for a family reunion. But just as Kinsey begins to suspect foul play and start asking questions, Beverly Danziger pulls her off the case and fires her . . .
Old 05-24-2018, 12:23 PM   #2110
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
B is for Burglar is the Bth in the Kinsey Millhone series by Sue Grafton. It has dropped to £1.09 at Kindle UK.

link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Burglar-Kin...dp/B004P1JFWY/
I think it's part of the Bank Holiday sale so it won't last past next week.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:57 PM   #2111
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

In the UK, they have bank holidays; in the US this weekend is Memorial Day , and Kobo is having a sale on various genres for $4.99 or less, with 5 x Super Points. I just recently used a bunch of my Super Points to start getting the Patricia Moyes titles that are being put out by Felony & Mayhem press, whose books only rarely go on sale, and even then, not much of a sale. So I am happy to see the 5 x Super Points. Here's a link to the whole sale - I'm not going to do individual links below: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/p/memorial18

I've cast a quick eye over the Mystery & Detective part of the sale, and here's what I spotted - using my personal preferences for what to mention, so YMMV . Because I'm cheap, the ones I'm listing are all under $2.99. Most (all?) are VIP/couponable.
  • PennDutch Mystery Series Box Set 1-3, by Tamar Myers is pretty much what it says it is: Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth; Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Crime; and No Use Dying over Spilled Milk - all in one omnibus for $0.99. I picked up one of these back in DTB days, but was never really able to get into it, but at this price, I may try again
  • A bunch of titles by Sylvia Nobel
  • Dead Men Whistling by Graham Masterton, the 9th and most recent (2017) in his Katie Maguire series
  • April Fool, the second in William Deverell's Arthur Beauchamp series
  • Who Invited the Dead Man? - #3 in Patricia Houck Sprinkle's MacLaren Yarbrough series
  • Most or all of the Thea Kozak series by Kate Flora
  • Most or all of the Daisy Gumm Majesty series by Alice Duncan - I really like this series, and even the newest upcoming one on pre-sale is only $2.99, while it's at $4.61 at Kindle - so although I rarely do pre-sales, I may do this one
  • Track of the Scorpion is the first in the Nicolette Scott series written, according to SYKM, by Robert Irvine (using pen name Val Davis) with his wife, Angie - I read several of these in DTB days and enjoyed them
  • North of the Border is the first in the Neil Hamel series by Judith Van Gieson
  • Two collections by John McFetridge that are more than $2.99, but have multiple titles in them, so may be worth checking out: one collection has three titles in McF's Toronto series for $4.99, and the other has three titles in his Eddie Dougherty series, also for $4.99
There are also titles by quite a few other authors...please pile in if you think I've missed something of note. And, as I said, I semi-arbitrarily cut my list off at $2.99, which included most, but not all, of the titles on sale, so keep that in mind if your tolerance is a bit higher than mine

Kobo's sale also has a Suspense & Thriller section which I haven't had a chance to look through - and I'm not much of a Thriller person (although Kobo sometimes puts books in some odd categories) - if someone else wants to take a crack at it, please do!

Last edited by sufue; 05-24-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:49 AM   #2112
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Three titles by Robert Wilson have dropped to $1.99 at Kindle US and Kobo US (VIP/couponable).

The Vanished Hands, apa The Silent and the Damned, Javier Falcón, #2
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Vanished-Hand...dp/B004H1U256/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the-vanished-hands-1

The Ignorance of Blood, Javier Falcón, #4
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Ignorance-Blo...dp/B003K16PDM/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the...nce-of-blood-3

Capital Punishment, Charles Boxer, #1
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Capital-Punis...dp/B008LQ24IQ/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/capital-punishment-21
Old 05-25-2018, 07:54 AM   #2113
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Rebecca Schwartz Mysteries 4-5 by Julie Smith is pretty much what it says it is - the fourth and fifth titles in Smith's Rebecca Schwartz series: Dead in the Water and Other People’s Skeletons. It also includes a bonus short story: Blood Types.

Schwartz is free right now at Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Rebecca-Schwa...dp/B01KU65TY0/
Old 05-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #2114
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Sweet Sunday is a non-series title by John Lawton. It has dropped to $1.99 at Kindle and Kobo US (coupon/VIPable).

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Sunday-...dp/B00JLQ4OBU/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/sweet-sunday-3

Spoiler:
Quote:
1969 is a time of turmoil and murder for a New York PI in this “twisty, sometimes terrifying” novel from the author of the acclaimed Inspector Troy series (Kirkus Reviews).

New York PI Turner Raines is a has-been—and the things he has been include a broken Civil Rights worker, a second-rate lawyer, and a tenth-rate yippie reporter. But in 1969, as the USA is about to land a man on the moon and the Vietnam War is ripping the country to pieces, Raines is working as a skip tracer, making sure draft-dodgers are safe and sound in Canada.

When Raines returns from Toronto, he discovers that his oldest friend, a left-wing journalist, has been murdered, and has taken his latest powder keg of a story to his grave. Following the trail of his buddy’s death, Turner hits the road for the Texas of his childhood, confronted anew with his divided family, and blown into the dangerous path of a band of brothers from ’Nam whose secrets could not only change Turner’s life but the country itself.

“Lawton has done historical crime before, in his excellent . . . series about Inspector Troy, a WWII-era London police detective. This time we’re in the U.S., where . . . Lawton convincingly nails the essence of those chaotic years.” —The Seattle Times

“Atmospheric . . . absorbingly intelligent.” —Financial Times

“John Lawton writes great thrillers. . . . He can hold his own with contemporaries Alan Furst and Phillip Kerr.” —Boston Herald
Old 05-25-2018, 08:05 AM   #2115
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

The Smiler With The Knife is the fifth in the Nigel Strangeways series by Nicholas Blake (pen name for Poet Laureate Cecil Day-Lewis). It has dropped to $1.99 at Kindle and Kobo US (VIP/couponable). It was on sale for $0.99 at Kindle US not too long ago, so check carefully before you buy.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Smiler-Knife-...dp/B07CMGNCX5/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the...th-the-knife-2

Spoiler:
Quote:
A couple in the British countryside finds themselves fighting fascists in this suspenseful novel by “a master of detective fiction” (The Daily Telegraph).

In 1930s England, Nigel and Georgia Strangeways have settled into rural bliss, thinking their days of globe-trotting detective work are behind them—but little do they know a disturbing mystery is lurking in their own front yard. When a letter arrives commanding the couple to tend their hedges, the most menial of domestic duties propels the Strangeways out of their cozy life, and into the peril of a power-hungry plot.

With the help of Nigel’s uncle, Sir John Strangeways, they learn of a treasonous conspiracy bigger than their small town. To expose the sinister schemers, Georgia must risk her life and infiltrate a group of fascist sympathizers before they succeed in their plan to overthrow the government . . .

“Good adventure-intrigue, and well-written.” —Kirkus Reviews