Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #76
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
So the ability to replace batteries is important to me. Waterproofing? I don't read in the water. But I do realize that everyone is different. One person's necessary feature is another person's "meh."
Same here, but my sister needs the waterproofing. It's always good to know what features you NEED.

I need the text-to-speech regularly, but already have it on the Kindle 8 basic. Lots of folks don't use that feature, so not important to them at all. I just bought a second Voyage, so not in the market for a new Paperwhite, but it's cool the features they added.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #77
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
I've got original chargers (both for the mini and micro USB Sonys). I'll try it, but the 350 uses a micrUSB charger, so it's not going to be the same as those who could use the PSP chargers. What it does is, if plugged in, is blink three times if I try to turn it on. Otherwise, no light ever. (Just remembered, I threw the battery away, anticipating getting a new one.) It still blinks three times without the battery when plugged in — I just found that out accidentally.
Mine died the same way.
One day working, next morning kaput.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #78
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
german article with hands-on video:

https://www.golem.de/news/neuer-kind...10-137146.html
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #79
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalOfArt View Post
german article with hands-on video:

https://www.golem.de/news/neuer-kind...10-137146.html
It's a good looking beast. I like the flush display (if, for no other reason, the dust doesn't build up). It does look a lot like a mix between a Voyage and a Paperwhite.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #80
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Mine died the same way.
One day working, next morning kaput.
Did it turn out to be the battery ... or was that the end of it?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #81
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I assume it is a battery issue. Updating the e-ink screen to highlight each word as it is read would drain the battery very quickly.
I wish you could at least read and listen at the same time without the highlighting.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #82
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Personally I'm thrilled! While I was hoping for a comfort-light system, I haven't tried one and don't really know what I'm missing anyway. The Paperwhite screen has never bothered me.

That said, my #1 wish was Waterproofing and I did not think they were going to add it to this newest Paperwhite. I'm delighted!

Second, I did want a more even bevel like the Voyage, which they have done.

Bluetooth isn't a big deal to me since I rarely listen to audio, but it's still a nice extra.

All of this with only raising the price to $10 more is great, IMO

I also need more room - I'm about out of room right now with only about 250 mb left. No idea when the 32 gb will be out but for the price difference I may go ahead and wait for that one.

I'm such a dork, but I'm curious about this new homepage too. That will be rolling out in weeks to older devices as well in updates.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #83
eDP
eDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheese

Device: Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparition B5 View Post
I'm seeing a lot of complaints elsewhere about the new Kindle Paperwhite not having a USB-C charger. Can't say that I blame them.
Would have been nice to not worry about which way the charger lead plugs in.
eDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #84
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I also need more room - I'm about out of room right now with only about 250 mb left. No idea when the 32 gb will be out but for the price difference I may go ahead and wait for that one.
Should be released at the same time, right? You can select the 32GB model when you click on Customize. I have the 32GB Wifi no special offers added to my cart and on checkout page, it says Estimated delivery: Nov. 7, 2018.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:38 PM   #85
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Which is why I'm asking: previous 32GB KINDLE models have been geared towards PDF and Manga, not Gutenberg-sized accumulations.
I was commenting on the not too useful statement. That depends on use.
Quote:
32Gb storage won't be too useful if the firmware can't manage big accumulations.
That said, I expect this won't be jailbreakable out of the box. Without Calibre Kindle Collections/Librarian Sync, I shudder to imagine managing and browsing a Guternberg-sized library on this.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:01 PM   #86
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Should be released at the same time, right? You can select the 32GB model when you click on Customize. I have the 32GB Wifi no special offers added to my cart and on checkout page, it says Estimated delivery: Nov. 7, 2018.
Weird, when I looked earlier it wasn't listed, and an article said it would be announced within upcoming months. Maybe they were still rolling it out.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #87
eDP
eDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheese

Device: Oasis
LEDs are now located at the top of the display according to CNET.com -

Paperwhite 4 Preview

"This new model has five LEDs for lighting the screen instead of four -- the LEDs are at the top of the device -- which adds a little brightness. "
eDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:41 PM   #88
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did it turn out to be the battery ... or was that the end of it?
"It's dead, Jim. "
Other than the LED nothing works.

Screen was showing some fade so I didn't bother with an autopsy.
The PB360 still lives but the screen perimeter shows serious fade. It looks like the early pre-Pearl screens were good for only 7-8 years.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #89
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDP View Post
LEDs are now located at the top of the display according to CNET.com -

Paperwhite 4 Preview

"This new model has five LEDs for lighting the screen instead of four -- the LEDs are at the top of the device -- which adds a little brightness. "
Not sure how moving them to the top improves brightness. It's the 5th LED that does that.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to have the LEDs on the side edge of the device, like on the Oasis 2, so there's less light fall off over the distance of the coverage?
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #90
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I was commenting on the not too useful statement. That depends on use.

That said, I expect this won't be jailbreakable out of the box. Without Calibre Kindle Collections/Librarian Sync, I shudder to imagine managing and browsing a Guternberg-sized library on this.
FBREADER on 2GB Win10/ATOM doesn't even stutter.
FBREADER on FIRE10 handles it fine.
So it is doable even atop Android.
Atop bare Linux it should be doable as long as there is enough RAM (1-2GB).