Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #106
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
In the US Kobo will have a real hard time grabbing market share until they make it a lot easier to purchase.
It's incredibly easy to purchase a Kobo device. You just go to their website and order one. You can also buy them off of Amazon.

No the problem is nothing to do with ease of purchase. It has everything to do with lack of marketing. It's not that people are clamoring to buy a Kobo but have trouble acquiring one. It's that people don't even know what Kobo is. I'm serious, when I'm reading on my Kobo people always think it's a Kindle. I know it's kleenex vs paper tissue kind of issue, but if I say "it's a Kobo" I always get a blank look.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:02 AM   #107
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My H2O is not all that fragile if you treat it properly. I've never broken a screen and I've used six different Readers.
Yes me too. I've owned many ereaders and have not broken a single one. I'm thinking that those people are careless, clumsy and don't use a cover. People that routinely break ereaders need to take more care or switch back to paper.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2016, 08:05 AM   #108
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
My kindle paperwhite (gen 2) screen is tough as nails. I throw it around everywhere and have been using it since my H2O broke and the screen itself is tactilely tougher, to the touch I mean. I understand the H2O is bigger but it still doesnt explain why some appear to be breaking so easily. I can assure you that it is not due to clumsiness or carelessness, I went through many Kobos to get a device without a light gradient until I finally got one. It was my holy grail and this tiny crack onthe screen popped up out of nowhere. Its actually still readible but 1 or 2 lines of text disappear on every page which makes reading quite distracting. But utilises my imagination much better I suppose.

Last edited by cerem0ny; 08-11-2016 at 08:08 AM.
cerem0ny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:09 AM   #109
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
My kindle paperwhite (gen 2) screen is tough as nails.
In all honesty, I would not recommend attempting to demonstrate this by hitting it with a hammer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:03 AM   #110
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
It seems to me that some day I layed on the couch and it probably was under me.
Yup, it won't like that. That's where the 'bending or twisting forces' come in. LCD screens are thicker and far more resistant to them.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #111
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Yup, it won't like that. That's where the 'bending or twisting forces' come in. LCD screens are thicker and far more resistant to them.
Yes, I didn't know that I thought they were as tough as tablets... And it had a hard cover!
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:35 AM   #112
Jason90
Addict
Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
My PW3 slipped out of my hands once and fell down the stairs onto quite a thick carpet,all was ok except a tiny hairline crack appeared somewhere in the middle right and whilst unnoticeable with the light off,with the light on it creates a long dark streak going upto the edge of the device,it's usable but not ideal.

Last edited by Jason90; 08-11-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Jason90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:54 AM   #113
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Personal and comfortable
Are your eyes tired? Choose from 50 fonts and font sizes, and if you are looking for a fully customized reading experience can choose from 11 different fonts. With adjustable margins, the ability to highlight passages, take notes, and a built-in dictionary at your fingertips.
Wow, 50 fonts? That's a bunch! Is this translated correctly? The current Kobo firmware only has around a dozen. I wonder if they'll add all these new fonts to older devices in an update?
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:58 AM   #114
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Wow, 50 fonts? That's a bunch! Is this translated correctly? The current Kobo firmware only has around a dozen. I wonder if they'll add all these new fonts to older devices in an update?
I think they mean 50 font sizes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #115
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
My H2O is not all that fragile if you treat it properly. I've never broken a screen and I've used six different Readers.
And I've never broken a screen, though I've had 6 readers too (since October 2015), which I use hard: I hate reading with a cover, so even though I put readers in a rigid cover for suitcases, backpacks or going thought security at airports, I read without, even on the go, and drop them fairly often (at home - parquet; in trains, buses or planes - whatever).

I know about torque though, so am very careful where I position them in suitcases and especially backpacks.

EDIT: And I choose handbags with an outside pocket just right for my on the go readers without cover: my cervicals are very sensitive to weight, and I even minimize the quantity of loose change, which is another reason to avoid covers.

Last edited by anacreon; 08-11-2016 at 10:11 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:47 AM   #116
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You mean dedicated ereader devices? Eink devices have always been a niche product among those used to read ebooks (mostly phones and tablets). The size of the Aura One is somewhat inbetween - larger than 6 inch devices (harder to stick in a pocket and take anywhere) but too small to comfortably read full page pdf files.

In the US Kobo will have a real hard time grabbing market share until they make it a lot easier to purchase.
Absolutly

There are some things I buy at Brick and Mortar stores because I can touch the goods (If I visit a B&M store, I do not, then buy that exact product online. I might decide to NOT buy that model, because of the Demo)

Kindle, Nooks (and formerly: Astak and Sony) were on offer at local area businesses

Kobo? Where can I try one of those without the hassle of returns
Not Fry's
Not Wal*Mart
Not Target
Not Borders (now gone )
Not the Public Library

These are Consumer Items. Shouldn't they be available in normal Consumer Channels?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:51 AM   #117
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Another is cats.
Amen! Thank goodness for the Cover.
Both have survived falls onto a concrete slab floor (we have wonderful radiant heat, so we avoid soft floor coverings)
Old 08-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #118
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
These are Consumer Items. Shouldn't they be available in normal Consumer Channels?
The free market will decide whether they're economically viable for B&M stores to stock. If there's a demand for them, and if the manufacturer offers retailers a sensible discount, someone will take advantage of the market opportunity and sell them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:28 PM   #119
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
Ive read many buyer reviews of the device saying that their H2O's were very fragile. I believe some were on the Kobos website itself? Or the Chapters listing. Either way theres no way I damaged my device due to misuse - I treated that particular H2o as delicately as if it were my first born child.

Check out these reviews!!! https://m.indigo.ca/product/gifts/ko...o/681495006670

Im with them on this one - hope the new device is a bit better in that regard. Though I doubt it - a larger sheet of glass seems a little more unwieldly with a greater propensity to snap, in my minds eye
I see your problem. You are supposed to treat them like the second or third born child.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #120
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The free market will decide whether they're economically viable for B&M stores to stock. If there's a demand for them, and if the manufacturer offers retailers a sensible discount, someone will take advantage of the market opportunity and sell them.
Chicken or Egg
No demand because they are NOT in popular stores

Everyone (with a charge/payment card) can buy from Amazon, but the stores still carry those Kindles.
B&N (obviously) had Nooks, but so did Targe
Stores get rid of things that don't move. Then will Never have a chance, if not stocked.

Product Placement helps. That is why Branded things clearly show in TV and Movies (some are now banned, like Cigarettes)