Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Copy is shutting down

I was disconcerted just now to get a pop-up from Copy, saying it will be discontinued as of May 1, 2016. Here's what Lifehacker has to say.

Well, this is a nuisance, but not surprising. Any and all suggestions for cloud storage will be entertained!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I was disconcerted just now to get a pop-up from Copy, saying it will be discontinued as of May 1, 2016. Here's what Lifehacker has to say.

Well, this is a nuisance, but not surprising. Any and all suggestions for cloud storage will be entertained!
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2016, 02:33 PM   #3
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I also got the message. I'm now in the process of moving my Calibre library to Dropbox. A couple of weeks ago I signed up for Stack, a Dutch cloud service that offers 1TB for free. However, you have to sign up for it, you get an invitation once there is cloud space available for you and I think it's only available in Dutch.

For those interested:
Stack
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:59 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
As you say, not surprising.

I signed up, and I think I have a few things there, but for the most part I was always happy with Dropbox. (Plus, I always felt that Copy.com was slower.)
Why do I get the feeling that I wasn't the only one?

Depending on how much space you need... well, I built up 16.88 GB of space via the referral below. (I don't even have to lift a finger! )
2 GB starting space, 4.375 GB misc bonuses, and 10.5 GB of the max 16 GB you can get through referrals.

It easily holds my calibre library and a few other things I need, and f I really needed to store GBs worth of, say, pictures, I would probably be able to keep that in Google Drive/Google Plus. I am pretty sure if the picture is under a certain size they don't count it against your storage.

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-01-2016 at 03:09 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #5
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I liked Copy because they allowed shortcuts. I couldn't find anyone else that did.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I also got the message. I'm now in the process of moving my Calibre library to Dropbox. A couple of weeks ago I signed up for Stack, a Dutch cloud service that offers 1TB for free. However, you have to sign up for it, you get an invitation once there is cloud space available for you and I think it's only available in Dutch.

For those interested:
Stack
Stack is new to me. Thanks for the pointer.

Here's a list of other services:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/1...-on-the-cheap/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:11 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post

For those interested:
Stack
Alas, that service is only available in the Netherlands.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Gigabyte Brix mini-computer (or Intel NUC)
OwnCloud

Do it yourself (or have it done for you). Your own cloud is the only one that can be trusted and the only one you're sure about that won't be shut down. or change its terms or prices.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-02-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I liked Copy because they allowed shortcuts. I couldn't find anyone else that did.
What do you mean by that?
Old 02-01-2016, 04:49 PM   #10
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
What do you mean by that?
You put a link to the file you want sync'd rather than actual file. There was no need to move any files into Copy folder.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:53 PM   #11
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
Quote:
You put a link to the file you want sync'd rather than actual file. There was no need to move any files into Copy folder.
This was my primary pull towards using Copy. Alas, I'll have to review alternatives.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:15 PM   #12
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhevi View Post
This was my primary pull towards using Copy. Alas, I'll have to review alternatives.
If you find something, please let me know.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:32 PM   #13
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
I loved this about Copy
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:42 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I keep forgetting about Windows and the sad symlink replacement they call the "shortcut".
On my linux computer, a link to a file/directory is the file/directory, and applications see it as a file/directory, not a link.

That being said, I thought I heard from somewhere that Dropbox does support this, but it will only notice and sync updates when you resume Sync? Or maybe that was the newer Junction links (which have their own special way of being created)?
I can't keep this Windows stuff straight, sorry.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:44 PM   #15
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I just don't know why drop box doesn't have another plan other then the expensive gigaton bites plan for $10 a month. I would use them exclusively if they'd offer something for less. I don't want to beg for referrals. Everyone already has it. I just want to pay like I do any other product and that is it. Just a smaller plan and therefore cheaper.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote