Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-13-2014, 04:01 AM   #1
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Possible viewer bug?

I ran a library check today and came across some anomalous behaviour that looks like it may be a viewer bug?

I was investigating extra book formats that had been reported. In Calibre I went to the book in question which said there should be an epub and mobi format files and pressed the 'Click to Open' option to go the books folder. There were 3 ebook files there:
Code:
The Third Science Fiction Megap - Various.epub
The Third Science Fiction Megapack - Various.epub
The Third Science Fiction Megapack - Various.mobi
As an extra epub file had been reported I assumed that it was the first one and I deleted it. As a check that I had deleted the correct file, I then selected the option to view a specific format and selected epub. The book appeared to come up in the viewer fine. I then simply exited the viewer. On checking the first file had re-appeared!

On slightly different issue relating to how the Library Maintenance runs I have set it to ignore files called 'c2o_thumbnail.jpg' or 'c2o_resizedcover.jpg' as I use Calibre2opds and it can store its cover and thumbnail image files with each book (also could I have used c2o_*.* as a shorthand for these files?). Despite that I was given a long list of files with these names with the error statement 'Unknown files in books'. Should these not have been ignored?

Should I raise either of these as a formal bug report?

BTW: I am running Calibre 1.36 on Windows
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:36 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@itimpi - First one looks like it might be a path length issue - but why would the viewer be creating any files in the library book folders anyway!

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2014, 04:44 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@itimpi - First one looks like it might be a path length issue - but why would the viewer be creating any files in the library book folders anyway!

BR
I agree - which is why I thought the bug must be in the viewer rather than the main Calibre program. However I guess it could be created by Calibre before launching the viewer.

Normally I would not notice such behaviour as I avoid browsing the Calibre filestore unnecessarily. However in this case I was doing so because I was trying to resolve the issues reported by Library maintenance.

Last edited by itimpi; 05-13-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:53 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I agree - which is why I thought the bug must be in the viewer rather than the main Calibre program. However I guess it could be created by Calibre before launching the viewer.

Normally I would not notice such behaviour as I avoid browsing the Calibre filestore unnecessarily. However in this case I was doing so because I was trying to resolve the issues reported by Library maintenance.
Do you have the viewer set to save the last read position? If so after inserting the bookmark file maybe something is happening upon repacking.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:11 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Do you have the viewer set to save the last read position? If so after inserting the bookmark file maybe something is happening upon repacking.
On looking in the preferences I do not think so (although I could have been looking at the wrong setting).

All settings should be a defaults as I only use the viewer for quick checks - not for normal reading.

Whatever the cause it suggests a mismatch between the maximum path lengths being used by the viewer and the main Calibre program.
Advert
Old 05-13-2014, 05:20 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
On looking in the preferences I do not think so (although I could have been looking at the wrong setting).

All settings should be a defaults as I only use the viewer for quick checks - not for normal reading.

Whatever the cause it suggests a mismatch between the maximum path lengths being used by the viewer and the main Calibre program.
@itimpi See attachment for the setting

Oh, and bookmarking will cause file to be written.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	122912  

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-13-2014 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:42 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard

That is the setting I checked and it is not set.

I did not get a chance to do any bookmarking. I simply opened the book, viewed the cover and closed the book.

All a bit puzzling at the moment
Old 05-13-2014, 06:33 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
And is this repeatable. That is if you delete that file and rerun the viewer does the file re-appear? Nake sure that the file is actually deleted by eyeballing the folder in windwos explorer. The viewer does not write to the original file unless it is set to remember the current page when quitting. It does not however, alter its filename in anyway.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:48 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
And is this repeatable. That is if you delete that file and rerun the viewer does the file re-appear? Nake sure that the file is actually deleted by eyeballing the folder in windwos explorer. The viewer does not write to the original file unless it is set to remember the current page when quitting. It does not however, alter its filename in anyway.
Yes - it is definitely repeatable. I currently have two books I have found exhibiting this behaviour. As you say the viewer is not expected to write a file in normal use so it is definitely puzzling behaviour.

I have checked and the option to remember the current page is NOT set. I actually tried the option to restore defaults (which set it so the default is to have it set), applied that, and then unchecked it again and applied that. I wonder if there is any other setting that can cause this behaviour?

The new ebook file appears as soon as I click to view the book as epub (before the viewer has managed to display the contents). I do not get any new book file appear if I elect to view the mobi format file I also have (as I expected would be the case).

Is there anything else I can do to try and get you some diagnostics to pin down why it is happening?
Old 05-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try disabling the internal viewer via Preferences->Behavior and see if it happens happens with some other viewer. That will tell us if the problem is in the viewer or elsewhere.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:03 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Another thought - convert the The Third Science Fiction Megapack - Various.epub EPUB to say AZW3 - what file name do you get for the AZW3?

BR
Old 05-13-2014, 07:21 AM   #12
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Try disabling the internal viewer via Preferences->Behavior and see if it happens happens with some other viewer. That will tell us if the problem is in the viewer or elsewhere.
I did this. I had to change the Windows file assoications as I hd them set to use the Viewer as well for ePub. I actually set it instead to open in TextPad (which is not really an ebook viewer but could load the file). The anomalous file was still created so it looks like it is the main Calibre program creating it and not the viewer.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:32 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The only way this can happen is if the longer path is too long for windows, which will causes calibre to be unable to read that file. When that happens, calibre will look for files of the same format in the directory and use the first one it finds, automatically copying it to the correct filename.

You shoudl be able to fix it by simply renaming the author/title to something short and then naming it back.

There was a bug in the pre 1.0 version of calibre that could end up creating files that were too long for windows in some corner cases, that bug has now been fixed.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #14
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
The only way this can happen is if the longer path is too long for windows, which will causes calibre to be unable to read that file. When that happens, calibre will look for files of the same format in the directory and use the first one it finds, automatically copying it to the correct filename.
The strange thing is that it found the one that was apparently 'too long'.

The path name was not very long - the total path before renaming being
Code:
W:\eBOOKS\CalibreLibrary\Various\The Third Science Fiction MegaPack (22827)\The Third Science Fiction MegaP.epub
This has now been shortened to
Code:
W:\eBOOKS\CalibreLibrary\Various\The Third Science Fiction MegaPack (22827)\The Third Science Fiction MegaP.epub
This is shorter, but I would assume that the previous one was well within Windows limits. Just a suggestion - could the library maintenance function have identified this as a possible problem case?

Quote:
You shoudl be able to fix it by simply renaming the author/title to something short and then naming it back.
That worked - thanks very much.

At least I now know what to do if I encounter it again.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It wont happen again, this is the result of a historical bug that has been fixed since 1.0 was released.

I will look into adding a check for it in check library, unfortunately, i am rather swamped at the moment.