Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
jason.mond
jason.mond began at the beginning.

Device: none
Tablet with largest screen possible

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a tablet device for reading lots of technical pdfs. I know of the obvious ones like the ipad or galaxy, but their screens are all 9~10 inches. I'd like one whose actual screen size is the same as a sheet of letter paper. I googled and any which were larger than 11 inches came with keyboards attached and had pretty much the same weight as a laptop, which defeats the purpose of a tablet. If there isn't one, I'll settle for an ipad, but I'd like to ask just in case.

There are only three criteria for me: As big as possible with the least increase in weight over the ipad. And the battery should last at least 8 hours with no network activity.

Availability of apps (outside of pdf readers), speed, graphics handling, wireless speed etc are irrelevant.

The reason I'm not looking at e-ink readers is that some of my pdfs are reference texts and I need to do a lot of jumping across pages, which e-ink readers aren't suited for.

Any replies appreciated.
jason.mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
The closest I can think of right now is the 12.1" ASUS Eee Slate, but it only gets around 4 hours of battery life and costs close to $1000. It's also thick and heavy.

Supposedly Kno was supposed to release a 14" tablet that wasn't going to cost much more than an iPad, but I believe that one turned out to be a flop.

There are a few other Windows 7 slates around, but they are all expensive, heavy, and have 3-5 hours of battery life in the best case.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
It sounds like you're not interested in most of it's features, but the Asus Transformer gets eight hours with the WiFi turned on and has a ten inch screen.

Have you considered the Nook Color? Rooted Nooks become Android tablets and they cost a lot less than the iPads and nicer Androids. It does have a smaller screen size. I don't have one, so I can't comment on battery life, but the people who do have them seem to like them.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
you could probably find a used JooJoo on ebay. They're 12" and I understand you can jam windows on to it

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 08-29-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:14 AM   #5
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
Something about PDF's is to think about them if you can reduce the margins to around 1/4". I think the measure of an A4 sheet is about a 14" diagonal but that is with give or take 1" margins. If you crop those out then you can likely do OK with 10"-12" depending on your vision.

I looked at the Asus 121 but the battery life and no ability to swap batteries or add an external battery to the tablet make it pretty limited for my uses. I prefer to wait. I am watching what the Lenovo Windows tablet does and costs whenever it's ready for release. I can live with Android for a couple years but, frankly, it's too new of an OS for me and my being pretty Windows centric in my work.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert