Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #31
oltmannv
oltmannv began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
tlrowley, I assume you using the US book store as I am?

I need folks that are not using the US bookstore to check that declaration. If international iPads are shipped with different dictionaries, it could be a country-by-country matter.

G
I'm in Canada and I'm experiencing this problem with files that previously worked. In Sigil, I opened the epub file of "This Body of Death" which previously allowed me to do dictionary lookup, and I've searched the code for dc:language but I can't find it. In the first xhtml file I found the following line:

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace">

Should I be looking somewhere else?

Vanessa
oltmannv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You want to look in the OPF file for the language declaration.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #33
oltmannv
oltmannv began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You want to look in the OPF file for the language declaration.
The language declaration in the OPF is UND. I set it to en and it worked. I'm using the Canadian store
Vanessa
oltmannv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:37 AM   #34
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Worked great! And it was a weird sort of geek-fun to do. Once. But if I have to do this on all 378 of my ePub files affected I will shoot myself. Ohhhhhhhhhh, Kooooooooooviiiidddd......
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:35 AM   #35
Tim_A
Tim_A began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad, PRS-600
The only book that gives me this problem is Sam Landstrom,s Metagame, downloaded from his site in epub (not available in UK iBookstore). All my others -- included some converted from my Sony Reader -- are fine. UK English iPad.
Tim_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #36
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Worked great! And it was a weird sort of geek-fun to do. Once. But if I have to do this on all 378 of my ePub files affected I will shoot myself. Ohhhhhhhhhh, Kooooooooooviiiidddd......
Calibre 0.7.5 will update the metadata for you automatically as you send the epub to a connected iDevice. Look for the release sometime this weekend.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #37
jbone1313
jbone1313 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Calibre 0.7.5 will update the metadata for you automatically as you send the epub to a connected iDevice. Look for the release sometime this weekend.
Will it actually save the file on your local machine, or does it only update the file as its sent over to the device?

A related question: Will we simply be able to use Calibre to re-convert our books if we use iTunes to transfer/manage books?
jbone1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #38
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
^good questions. I'd be interested in being able to just regenerate to get the correct meta data for dictionary support.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #39
jbone1313
jbone1313 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
^good questions. I'd be interested in being able to just regenerate to get the correct meta data for dictionary support.
One more: This may be a dumb question, but will this be "fixed" going forward for books we convert in the future with Calibre?
jbone1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #40
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, you can reconvert epub->epub and the metadata will be rewritten (as of 0.7.5).

If you transfer the epub to iTunes/iBooks using calibre's iDevice driver, the metadata will be rewritten in the epub automatically.

G
Old 06-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #41
Pachuco
Pachuco began at the beginning.

Device: Asus TF700T
iBooks 1.1. and PDFs

Hi there,

I got the dictionary working with an epub file using the procedure suggested in this thread.

However, what to do about PDFs. I've loaded some 20 plus on to my iPad and - so far - the dictionary is not working in any of them.

Any suggestions?
Pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #42
jchrist
jchrist began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kovid,

I just converted a bunch of books with 0.7.6, and they still have the language set to UND, which means there's no dictionary on the iPad. Could you have an option in calibre to use the system default language for texts in an unspecified language. If not the system default language, how about letting users specify their preferred language in preferences for texts where it's not set?
jchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #43
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
0.7.6 sets the language to the interface language specified in calibre, unless the source document you are converting has its language set to und
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:16 AM   #44
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
Hi there,

I got the dictionary working with an epub file using the procedure suggested in this thread.

However, what to do about PDFs. I've loaded some 20 plus on to my iPad and - so far - the dictionary is not working in any of them.

Any suggestions?
The dictionary feature does not work for PDFs in iBooks 1.1

G
Old 07-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #45
buecherhans
Enthusiast
buecherhans began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
0.7.6 sets the language to the interface language specified in calibre, unless the source document you are converting has its language set to und
How would the interface language influence English ebook conversion on a German or French or etc setting on Calibre? There are lot of countries out there that do not speak English as a first language and we create ebooks in our mother language and in English. Further, maybe in the hopfully not to far future we will have multible dictionaries on our iPads. I would prefer a manual setting.
buecherhans is offline   Reply With Quote