Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
Murre
Connoisseur
Murre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five words

Device: Nook
Pocketbook HD 2 vs Kobo Aura One vs?

Looking for a good e reader.
Was set one the Pocketbook HD but found some discussion on this vs Kobo Aura One.

The Pocketbook HD 2 is 170 euro while the Kobo Aurora one is 230 euro. Don't know if it's worth the difference in price. The Kobo H2O is 160 euro. Paperwhite 3 is 140 (how big of a deal is non epub support?, I have no books yet).

Reading experience is very important since I will be reading a lot of heavy educational stuff.

I'm in Sweden so my choices are a bit more limited I recon.
Murre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What you don't say is what format the stuff you want to read is. If it's PDF then that will have a major impact on what you get.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
Murre
Connoisseur
Murre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five words

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What you don't say is what format the stuff you want to read is. If it's PDF then that will have a major impact on what you get.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I don't know what format it will be unfortunately.
Anyway to cover all bases or will have to make trade off on other things?
Murre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #4
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murre View Post
I don't know what format it will be unfortunately.
Anyway to cover all bases or will have to make trade off on other things?
Most readers read epub, and it's easy to convert from epub to something else if you wind up needing to.

The real format limitation is PDF. If you mostly have PDF books, you're better off getting a tablet and reading on that. No current eInk reader is really good with PDFs, although we're starting to get some large ones that are decent.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
@Murre

As has been mentioned already, a major factor is whether the educational books you intend to read only come as pdfs. If they do, then I second the suggestion that you get a tablet.

If the books are available from Kobo and Amazon in non pdf format, then the next factor is perhaps whether you just wish to buy and download directly to your ereader and avoid any use of a computer. In my opinion, Kobo and Kindles are the best at this. I think Amazon offers the best straight out of the box experience, but I prefer the Kobo reading software. Unfortunately, unless you start to get in to stripping drm and converting formats, you cannot buy from one store and read on the other's reader.

I happen to use a Pocketbook Touch HD (though I also have a Kobo H2O and a Tolino) and I love it, but to get the best out of it you really need to also use the Calibre software (and de-drm plug-ins) on your computer and install the Coolreader app on the Pocketbook.

A final factor could be screen size. The Pocketbook and Paperwhite are 6" screens whereas the Kobos you mention are bigger screens (personally, I prefer the 6" screen but many rave about the larger screens).

Though it always pains me to say it, I do think the Paperwhite is still a really decent introduction to ereading.

Last edited by church mouse; 12-04-2017 at 09:22 PM.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are wanting to read PDF, get an iPad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:23 AM   #7
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
The Pocketbook HD 2 is 170 euro while the Kobo Aurora one is 230 euro. Don't know if it's worth the difference in price. The Kobo H2O is 160 euro. Paperwhite 3 is 140 (how big of a deal is non epub support?, I have no books yet).

Reading experience is very important since I will be reading a lot of heavy educational stuff.
Heavy educational stuff? This comes in two forms:
- New fresh expensive textbooks, either in epub or well-formatted pdf
- Old books and typed pages scanned into pdf without much consideration to the form.

The latter files in particular require a bigger screen, so go for Kobo Aura One and install Koreader on it https://youtu.be/i2oSOeAnD10

But on another note, I question the need to buy an ereader when you don't have any ebooks yet. The first step should be to accumulate an e-library little by little and read it on computer/tablet screen, and when it later turns out that there's too much to read too often and the computer/tablet screen becomes untenable, then pick an ereader.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:28 AM   #8
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
In addition to reading experience, it could be important how to take notes on educational reading material. Pocketbook has a good app for notetaking, but if you need to export or sync the notes, you will have to consider how additional apps or plugins work. For example, I have not got Evernote to work on Pocketbook, but I have not tried much either. Other people have got it to work.

Or just use a tablet or netbook.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:23 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Heavy educational stuff? This comes in two forms:
- New fresh expensive textbooks, either in epub or well-formatted pdf
- Old books and typed pages scanned into pdf without much consideration to the form.
I believe there's also a third option there, which is proprietary locked-in educational platform stuff. These are likely to have tablet app options, but not e-reader.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #10
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Educational stuff? If you have to read material with graphics that illustrates the text, then get a big screen because I don't think changing page to view quickly the pictures that help understand what text explains would be comfortable.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote