Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Using calibre with Kindle for Android (Nexus 7)

I've searched the Device sub-forum regarding this and came up with an old thread, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190191 which says that cable connection is not supported so try Calibre Companion or Dropbox. Another thread suggests e-mailing.

Is cable connection still not supported? (I don't have a Dropbox account and am not familiar with CC and since this will be a once-only process due to the demise of my Sony ePub reader I'm looking for a really simple method.)

I tried e-mailing but got an automated reply saying that the my book was in an invalid format: it was already asw3 but the Amazon email-to-device process seems to expect only non-Kindle formats.

Getting my Amazon purchases into the Kindle/Nexus library is easy since they show up on the Amazon cloud. It's just my ePub to Kindle conversions that I now need to transfer.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update

I think that I'm half way there: I tried the Calibre Companion App and it let me send books from calibre to Nexus over wifi. So far so good, the book is on the Nexus but the Kindle App doesn't seem to know about it. Is there something else that I need to do to complete the connection?
Advert
Old 09-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Update

I think that I'm half way there: I tried the Calibre Companion App and it let me send books from calibre to Nexus over wifi. So far so good, the book is on the Nexus but the Kindle App doesn't seem to know about it. Is there something else that I need to do to complete the connection?
Did you configure CC to open Mobi/AZW3 with Kindle app?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
I tried e-mailing but got an automated reply saying that the my book was in an invalid format: it was already asw3 but the Amazon email-to-device process seems to expect only non-Kindle formats.
Actually, it works with MOBI format, but not AZW3. I suppose there is some assumption by Amazon that the only source for AZW3 books is Amazon themselves, and therefore you shouldn't be sending one as a "personal document".
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Agama
Guru

@theducks: Ah no! I just connected to the wifi and sent the book. I've configured it now and this time it transferred an azw3 rather than the epub, but it still doesn't show in Kindle app. When I try and read via the CC app it says that no reading app is installed.

@Hampshire Nanny: That makes sense. Looks like I'm nearly there with CC, otherwise I can possibly send the ePub via email and let Amazon to the conversion.

Last edited by Agama; 09-21-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Advert
Old 09-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From the forum here for Calibre Companion support.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...25&postcount=5
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #7
Agama
Guru

Thanks PeterT that's got things going.

The azw3's now go to the appropriate folder and do show up in the Kindle app. They don't have covers in the Kindle App Library, although they do in the CC App but maybe this is because I'm using the demo version of CC. I'll upgrade to the full app now that I know it works with my device.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks PeterT that's got things going.

The azw3's now go to the appropriate folder and do show up in the Kindle app. They don't have covers in the Kindle App Library, although they do in the CC App but maybe this is because I'm using the demo version of CC. I'll upgrade to the full app now that I know it works with my device.
Glad I could help
Old 09-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I think Calibre Companion will display the same cover as Calibre does, quite possibly from an external file. The kindle app is probably displaying the cover (or lack there of) from within the book itself. Try a calibre Polish function to embed the new cover in the book file.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think Calibre Companion will display the same cover as Calibre does, quite possibly from an external file. The kindle app is probably displaying the cover (or lack there of) from within the book itself. Try a calibre Polish function to embed the new cover in the book file.
Yes, Calibre Companion uses a personal copy of all metadata including the cover, copied from the calibre database.

If the book is in MOBI format, the only thing that will "update" the cover is a full reconversion. MOBI does not support cover metadata. One of the reasons to prefer AZW3.

An AZW3 will be properly updated.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #11
Agama
Guru

Had a bit of a play and finally spotted the obvious: I was viewing my Kindle cloud library which of course knows nothing about these ePub conversions. Switching to On Device shows the covers just fine.

So thanks to all for the help. Calibre now manages my real Kindle and my pseudo-Kindle, (Android/CC), and I'll soon have access to my ePubs again.