Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I have a 2nd generation nano that supports audible just fine.

Dale
That's what I use too & it works just great.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:13 PM   #17
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I've a 50+ gb music library, but I find my 4gb iphone is just fine. I had gotten used to my 30 gig ipod, but realized I was getting a better music experience when I got choosier about what to have on my ipod - and then, of course, I can change it everytime I go home.

Video's are okay... much better than you'd expect, but still - I just don't do video's to go really. But I also don't have anything like a commute or any other time where I'm sitting around passively that I wouldn't rather be reading :grins:.

Still..... love the device. Best gadget I've ever owned (and I'm king of buyers remorse) - eBook reader comes out as number 2. Sure, my old smart phone did most the things an iPhone does - but the big difference, the huge difference is that using the iphone is a pleasant, intuitive experience as opposed to the windows mobile s which feels like you're wrestling a bear every time you want to do anything.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #18
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Flash memory is likely to go down in price faster than bigger capacity drives have. It is relatively new in the public psyche and companies are...well, banking on the hype for now. aPple, in particular wants us to change pods on a regular basis. In two generations, roughly one year, I'm pretty sure pods will reach a 128 GB capacity.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #19
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
My wife has an iPod Touch. In my opinion, it's so different from a traditional iPod that it deserves a different name; what it's really competing with is the Nokia Internet Tablet. It's basically the best palmtop web browsing experience, bar none -- thanks to the multitouch interface: on paper the Gecko-based browser on the Nokia N810 ought to slaugher the webkit based browser on the lower-resolution iPod Touch, but in practice it's clunky to use and horribly cumbersome once you've tried the Touch.

Alas, the touch doesn't let you open file:/// URLs, else I'd have tried sticking some ebooks on it as web archives. Anyone know if there's an ebook reader applet for the iPod Touch/iPhone yet?
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:19 PM   #20
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstross View Post
Alas, the touch doesn't let you open file:/// URLs, else I'd have tried sticking some ebooks on it as web archives. Anyone know if there's an ebook reader applet for the iPod Touch/iPhone yet?
Haven't tried it myself, but here you go:

http://code.google.com/p/iphoneebooks/
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #21
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I have a 2nd generation nano that supports audible just fine.

Dale
My better half has a 1gb Nano and I love it...problem is it's HERS...trust me I want to keep all my fingers so I only get to touch it when she wants a book installed.

That's OK because everytime I do, I sneek a new book for myself from HER Audible account...hehehehe...we take my Creative with us on the road because, well, it has our whole library on it...

I think the size of the Nano is ideal. It has a fantastic display and the menu system is as easy as it gets. That said I bought a Nokia N800 today for myself...wtf do I know...hehehehe...looked at the iTouch (iPod Touch I guess is the real name) but didn't look like it was as much fun.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:16 AM   #22
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I love my 8Gn iPod Touch. Works great for video (movies and TV) and as others have said, the somewhat limited space doesn't matter much to me because I can unload/load new media at home anytime I need to (if, when I need to is when I am home, of course).

Great device. But If I needed to choose, I would still prefer the Sony Reader, or the Kindle I don't own yet.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #23
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I love my 8Gn iPod Touch. Works great for video (movies and TV) and as others have said, the somewhat limited space doesn't matter much to me because I can unload/load new media at home anytime I need to (if, when I need to is when I am home, of course).

Great device. But If I needed to choose, I would still prefer the Sony Reader, or the Kindle I don't own yet.
You're right about changing media on a need to basis. We're always near the computer anyway, a simple plug and it's only a matter of choosing material for a good time.

Somehow there is a hording sickness going on where one seems to feel that all their collections have to be on board the device. Go figure where that comes from...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #24
sana
sana began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Hehehe I just got my new iPhone this morning
i got my iPhone 3 days before this announcement too

i have no problem though - i don't carry around tons of music or videos, only sync some playlists and some videos so i'm not too worried about my puny 8GB iphone
sana is offline   Reply With Quote