Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
JDriver
JDriver began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
[Android App] Calibre companion and Aldiko

A question from a newbie.
When I synch a few books to my Nexus 7 with CC, they all sit there neatly in the app. If I tap one I get the option of reading with Aldiko or importing to Aldico. If I choose the latter the book appears in both Aldico and CC.
My question is does the book file actually get copied, or is it just a symbolic link? (I'm thinking of space usage.)

Also can somebody point me to a review of the readers available, as I would ideally like one which will open all formats of book. Also how do I delete books from the Nexus?

TIA
JDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I got the Aldiko option as well. I did not have an option to import into the Kobo app. I was able though to go to the Kobo app and import from CC. In app I had the choice whether to leave the file on the disk in CC or to delete it from there and only have it in the appropriate Kobo directory.

I did this on a Nexus 7 running the latest Kobo and Aldiko apps.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #3
ellett
Connoisseur
ellett began at the beginning.

Device: Android
@JDriver, if you "import to Aldiko", Aldiko does indeed copy the book into its own folder. If you just "read with Aldiko" the book is not copied, but Aldiko doesn't remember where you are in the book, so if you close the book and/or Aldiko, when you come back in you'll be at the front cover.

And there's no way to tell Aldiko to move its data store or use someone else's data store, and Aldiko has to be the one that puts the book in its data store in the first place.

Very frustrating. Aldiko is a lovely reading experience and I've used Aldiko Premium for years, but it doesn't play nicely with Calibre or Calibre Companion or any external book manager at all.
ellett is offline   Reply With Quote