Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Viewsonic g Tablet

So, I purchased a Viewsonic g Tablet from woot.com a couple of weeks ago. It arrived yesterday. The stock UI is blah. For some reason it wouldn't update to 4349 after it updated to 3859. I decided to try one of the ROMs from XDA.

Currently, the VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition is installed and it is very nice. The only problem is that I can't get my books stored in Calibre to download via the web. But that is a minor problem. My only other complaint is that I prefer the original keyboard but that's another minor issue.

Kindle and Aldiko work fine. The only app I haven't been able to get working is Weatherbug Elite.

I have Google Android Market and all Google applications on the g Tablet. It's a very nice 10" tablet.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
How's the screen on it? I saw it on Woot, too, and almost snagged one. But, held off cause I'd not been able to see one in person.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
How is the screen in portrait mode? I've heard conflicting reports about it.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #4
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
So, I purchased a Viewsonic g Tablet from woot.com a couple of weeks ago. It arrived yesterday. The stock UI is blah. For some reason it wouldn't update to 4349 after it updated to 3859. I decided to try one of the ROMs from XDA.

Currently, the VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition is installed and it is very nice. The only problem is that I can't get my books stored in Calibre to download via the web. But that is a minor problem. My only other complaint is that I prefer the original keyboard but that's another minor issue.

Kindle and Aldiko work fine. The only app I haven't been able to get working is Weatherbug Elite.

I have Google Android Market and all Google applications on the g Tablet. It's a very nice 10" tablet.
+1, I love this thing. No one's using the stock ROM I don't think. I just switched to GingerEdition as well (I was using Zpad-3.0 previously) and I love it. You think it's fast now, try using LauncherPro instead of the VeganTab launcher and it flies. Really, switching ROMs on this isn't nearly the challenge it can be on some phones. I did a howto on my site that is similar to the one at XDA only using the ZPad-Clean ROM if anyone's interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
How is the screen in portrait mode? I've heard conflicting reports about it.
They're conflicting reports because not only do people have different uses and expectations but also because it's different on each unit: From what I can tell it's the way the backlight LEDs are situated behind the screen, and it varies from one to the next. Talk to a manager wherever you look for one of these and ask them to waive the restock fee if it's not to your satisfaction (I did so at TigerDirect). My personal opinion: It's not as wide a field-of-view as the Xoom but in trade you get more tweakability (and, of course, at half the price). If you'll use your tab for watching a lot of movies this one might disappoint (despite being HD-capable). For reading it works well, not much heavier than an iPad. I found the latest free version of Aldiko to be kind of a pain but my wife feels this might be a matter of opinion as well.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
+1, I love this thing. No one's using the stock ROM I don't think. I just switched to GingerEdition as well (I was using Zpad-3.0 previously) and I love it. You think it's fast now, try using LauncherPro instead of the VeganTab launcher and it flies. Really, switching ROMs on this isn't nearly the challenge it can be on some phones. I did a howto on my site that is similar to the one at XDA only using the ZPad-Clean ROM if anyone's interested.

They're conflicting reports because not only do people have different uses and expectations but also because it's different on each unit: From what I can tell it's the way the backlight LEDs are situated behind the screen, and it varies from one to the next. Talk to a manager wherever you look for one of these and ask them to waive the restock fee if it's not to your satisfaction (I did so at TigerDirect). My personal opinion: It's not as wide a field-of-view as the Xoom but in trade you get more tweakability (and, of course, at half the price). If you'll use your tab for watching a lot of movies this one might disappoint (despite being HD-capable). For reading it works well, not much heavier than an iPad. I found the latest free version of Aldiko to be kind of a pain but my wife feels this might be a matter of opinion as well.
This device certainly has great value if the screen is reasonably usable in portrait mode (my preferred orientation). Office Depot had it for $280 last week, and it looked really nice, but the display was bolted down so I couldn't check the viewing angles.

Last edited by Noah98; 04-17-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I've been using my mostly in portrait mode and it's fine. IMO, the screen quality is better than my Galaxy TAB. I don't care about the view angle, with my thick glasses anything other than headon is iffy. I just hope that NVidia continues with product development because from what I've read the G Tablet is no longer being produced.

I had some issues with installing the ROM. Apparently, my G Tablet was one that had the wrong partitions. I had to NVFlash it back to original stock, get the OTA update to 3588 and then install CWM .8 and then VEGAn Gingerbread.

I sold some of my other gadgets to get this and I like reading on it.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote