Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
dbillmanql
dbillmanql began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Problems downloading metadata for books

I have been using Calibre for a while and never had problems downloading metadata. I recently started getting errors.

I am still on XP (on this machine)

I also am unable to check for updates for plugin but that is probably another post/thread.

Thank you in advance.

Dave

When I look at the details I see the following:

calibre, version 1.48.0
ERROR: No matches found: <p>Failed to find any books that match your search. Try making the search <b>less specific</b>. For example, use only the author's last name and a single distinctive word from the title.<p>To see the full log, click Show Details.

Running identify query with parameters:
{u'authors': [u'Randall Wood'], u'identifiers': {u'isbn': u'9781938825200', u'mobi-asin': u'B00AXW0RFS'}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'Scarcity (Jack Randall #3 Book 1)'}
Using plugins: Barnes & Noble, Google, Amazon.com
The log from individual plugins is below

****************************** Barnes & Noble ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Barnes & Noble took 3.34300017357
Querying: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...=9781938825200
Failed to make identify query
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.barnes_noble.__init__", line 145, in identify
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 199, in open_novisit
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 230, in _mech_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_opener.py", line 193, in open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 344, in _open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 332, in _call_chain
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1142, in http_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1118, in do_open
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it>

************************************************** ******************************

****************************** Amazon.com ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Amazon.com took 8.0
Failed to make identify query: u'http://www.amazon.com/s/?sort=relevanceexprank&search-alias=aps&field-isbn=9781938825200&unfiltered=1'
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\amazon.py ", line 909, in identify
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 199, in open_novisit
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 230, in _mech_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_opener.py", line 193, in open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 344, in _open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 332, in _call_chain
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1142, in http_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1118, in do_open
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it>

************************************************** ******************************

****************************** Google ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.3 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/6.0.472.63 Safari/534.3')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Google took 3.18700003624
Failed to make identify query: u'http://books.google.com/books/feeds/volumes?q=isbn%3A9781938825200&max-results=20&min-viewability=none&start-index=1'
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\google.py ", line 301, in identify

The identify phase took 8.23 seconds
The longest time (8.000000) was taken by: Amazon.com
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates from the worldcat.org service
We have 0 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds
dbillmanql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbillmanql View Post
I have been using Calibre for a while and never had problems downloading metadata. I recently started getting errors.

I am still on XP (on this machine)

I also am unable to check for updates for plugin but that is probably another post/thread.

Thank you in advance.

Started this after an update? Looks like something on your PC is actively blocking Calibre from going out to the Internet. Your firewall of antivirus program probably needs to be (re)told that Calibre is a trusted application.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A

That message says no books found for that ISBN and offers suggestions.

OTOH
You state that you are having 'trouble checking for Updates' (could not see that post).

That may be the same cause: Calibre being blocked from Net access on your machine. You might Fix that first.

Your configured Metadata sources may be part of the issue also

Note: I am running Calibre on XP, just not using those sources.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
dbillmanql

Thanks. I will look into my Firewall and Anti-virus. I thought I had temporarily isabled my firewall but I will double-check.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #5
dbillmanql

I did more checking and discovered the cause of the problem. (I was looking for suggestion of where to look for the problem).

Anyways, Turns out the box to use a proxy server in Internet Options --> Connections --> LAN settings had somehow gotten checked.

Unchecking this resolved the problem.

I figured it was something like this (could figure out what though) when I could get to the Internet using Firefox but not with Internet Explorer.

It explains a number of other issues I was having also.

Thank again for the suggestions.

Dave