Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
cookiedough10
cookiedough10 began at the beginning.

Device: none
ereader with light to read at night

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy an ereader + cover&light combo so that i can read it at night before going to sleep.

There are no sockets and therefore no lamps beside my bed and getting the above would facilitate my lazy preference

I'm just wondering are there any alternatives to getting a Kindle and the cover they provide? The cover costs an additional 60euro or so and I was hoping that there might be a cheaper option.

Not at all fussy on the brand as I will only be using it for reading

Thanks!
cookiedough10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Get one of those new readers with builtin light. Kindle PaperWhite, Kobo Glo, etc... which are coming out now. They also offer higher resolution (sharper text) than the older models, and the covers will be cheaper and the handling easier without extra lights + batteries.

Apparently some of the new Kobos have already shipped so we should start seeing users first hand experience reviews in a week or two...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
cookiedough10
cookiedough10 began at the beginning.

Brilliant that's just what i'm looking for, thanks!

Those would all accept the same file formats as a Kindle would i'm guessing?
cookiedough10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
No, the Kindle uses Amazon's own file format (.azw or .mobi), whereas the Kobo Glo uses the more standard .epub format. The Kobo can probably read drm free .mobi files (at least the Kobo Touch did), while both can read pdf, html, txt files.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
askak
Enthusiast
askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi,
Amazon is going to launch soon the Kindle Paperwhite http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GEKXUO/ref=fs_cl
askak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
another option is the M-edge eluminator light. i really enjoy mine. combining this with one of the "old style" ereaders would save some money, but if i were buying now i would go with the K paperwhite.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote