Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #16
tweaksource
tweaksource began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Execute optware on the Kindle Touch

I am an experienced Linux user, Java programmer, and html//css/javascript developer and would like to develop some enhancements for the Kindle Touch (which I will gladly share). I am brand new to Kindle, having just gotten a Kindle Touch a week ago.

Thanks to the fine folks here at MobileRead, I have succeeded in jail-breaking, installing the GUI Launcher, installing the extended opware, adding /opt/bin to the PATH in profile, connecting wirelessly via SSH, and executing said optware programs via SSH from a Linux and OSX terminal.

I understand how to access wifi info, server info, debug mode, etc via shortcut bar commands such as ;711.

However, I cannot figure out how to run any of the installed linux utilities from the KT itself. I would like to be able to run a terminal emulator especially, or at least execute shell commands on the KT.

It seems to be possible given the statement regarding backup on the wiki page:

on the Host: nc -l 31337|dd of=mmcblk0p1.bin
on the Kindle: dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1|nc 192.168.15.1 31337

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...Hacking#Backup

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

I appreciate all of the hard work done by various tweakers, and look forward to contributing.
tweaksource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #17
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
Either follow my previous post and add it to your ssh session path or call it as such /opt/bin/nano
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:39 AM   #18
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur
vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4 Touch
Hey, thanks for a great job on getting the image to us. Separate thanks to ixtab for his useful idea.

I'm trying to add a menu item to YiFanLu's Launcher to start an ftp server. Any input on how to do it?

I'm assuming I would have to start sftp, with some params pointing to the server path and a config file. Is this correct?

Last edited by vaniaspeedy; 01-05-2012 at 08:21 PM.
vaniaspeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #19
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur
vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4 Touch
For those interested; I made a toggle for removing ads and a toggle for selectively hiding folders/books.

ads - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164261 (pardon the typo)
folders - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1913727
vaniaspeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #20
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Great additon, thank you for bringing my favorite apps to the Kindle!
Here I have attached the small version, to save time and capacity for others.
All the credits go to dasmoover & ixtab.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle_extend-1.1.zip (13.86 MB, 467 views)
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #21
lukeroge
Enthusiast
lukeroge began at the beginning.

How would I be able to use ipkg? I assumed it would just install new programs to the optware image, but its complaining about a read only filesystem, which makes me thing its trying to install things to root. Thanks.
lukeroge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #22
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeroge View Post
How would I be able to use ipkg? I assumed it would just install new programs to the optware image, but its complaining about a read only filesystem, which makes me thing its trying to install things to root. Thanks.
following your posts in some threads and before answering your question, I have to say for learning a new thing you have to invest time and be patient, asking questions sometimes is not the best idea:

Code:
mntroot rw
Also, welcome on board my friend (you're not quite a newcomer though!).

Last edited by thatworkshop; 03-20-2012 at 08:38 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #23
lukeroge
Enthusiast
lukeroge began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
following your posts in some threads and before answering your question, I have to say for learning a new thing you have to invest time and be patient, asking questions sometimes is not the best idea:

Code:
mntroot rw
Also, welcome on board my friend (you're not quite a newcomer though!).
I know how to mount the main partition as rw, but I had assumed that it would be installing things to the extend image and it wouldn't need access the the root partition. I'll try it again later with it set as RW.
lukeroge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #24
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeroge View Post
I know how to mount the main partition as rw, but I had assumed that it would be installing things to the extend image and it wouldn't need access the the root partition. I'll try it again later with it set as RW.
Here is the reason:
Code:
[root@kindle root]# strace -f -F /opt/bin/ipkg list 2>&1|tail
munmap(0x4001b000, 34)                  = 0
close(3)                                = 0
open("/var/local/system/tzVar", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
gettimeofday({1332300008, 690798}, NULL) = 0
getpid()                                = 18936
mkdir("/opt/ipkg-g1rwEY", 0700)         = -1 EROFS (Read-only file system)
write(2, "ipkg_conf_init: Failed to create"..., 85ipkg_conf_init: Failed to create temporary directory `(null)': Read-only file system
) = 85
exit_group(30)                          = ?
Process 18936 detached
[root@kindle root]#
This is harmless, but I do agree that it's annoying. You can either set the environment variable TMPDIR locally or globally (e.g.: )
Code:
TMPDIR=/tmp /opt/bin/ipkg list_installed
TMPDIR=/opt/tmp /opt/bin/ipkg list_installed
For a permanent fix, directly change the default TMPDIR setting inside /opt/lib/libipkg.so.0.0.0 from /opt to /tmp (that's bytes 209c9 through 209cb in the file). I have attached the patched file for convenience.

In either of these cases, it works smoothly with root mounted ro.
Attached Files
File Type: zip libipkg.so.0.0.0-fixed-TMPDIR.zip (68.0 KB, 377 views)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #25
aranwe
Enthusiast
aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Could anyone reupload the extensions scripts for mount and umount since it seems (at least for me that gitbrew is down).
we can still use ixtabs disk images : http://ge.tt/9Qoa9YD
aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #26
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I just uploaded the installer to the same ge.tt location
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #27
aranwe
Enthusiast
aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

thank you very much
i will edit the Wiki post
ah you already did it

Last edited by aranwe; 09-14-2012 at 08:03 AM.
aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #28
Tonttu
Tonttu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
Has anyone used nanorc initialization file? In which directory should I put it?
edit: I needed this for setting the operating dir and I kind of solved this by creating a n -sh file with nano -o /mnt/us inside it, but would still be nice to know.

Last edited by Tonttu; 09-19-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Tonttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #29
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Installed on PW - SUCCESS

I installed this today on my PW. Works great. Except of course the menu-items. Deleted all cp cmds in mount.sh and unmount.sh.

This is what I did (in that order):

1) I READ ALL POSTS FIRST in this thread

2) grab file in post #20

3) edit /mnt/us/extend/mount.sh and unmount.sh to remove the cp commands for .json (won't work on pw)

4) delete /mnt/us/extensions - no use on PW

5) do post #10. I did that right on the PW with
Code:
# dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024k count=100 >> /mnt/us/extend/optware.img
# resize2fs /mnt/us/extend/optware.img
100mb more should be fine.

6) now it is time to mount this with:
Code:
# /mnt/us/extend/mount.sh
7) grab file from post #24 and copy to where it needs to go

8) then I did:
Code:
# ipkg update
# ipkg upgrade
# ipkg install vim
Yay, syntax highlighting on demand in vi - essential.

And then the last thing I did was edit /etc/motd to add me a reminder that I should run /mnt/us/extend/mount.sh. No need for me to mount at boottime, only needed when actually logging in.

That should be all. This is now also supporting the PW.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-06-2013 at 12:08 AM. Reason: modfied steps slightly
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #30
cubemike99
Enthusiast
cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I installed this today on my PW. Works great. Except of course the menu-items. Deleted all cp cmds in mount.sh and unmount.sh.

This is what I did (in that order):

1) I READ ALL POSTS FIRST in this thread

2) grab file in post #20

3) edit /mnt/us/extend/mount.sh and unmount.sh to remove the cp commands for .json (won't work on pw)

4) delete /mnt/us/extensions - no use on PW

5) do post #10. I did that right on the PW with
Code:
# dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024k count=100 >> /mnt/us/extend/optware.img
# resize2fs /mnt/us/extend/optware.img
100mb more should be fine.

6) now it is time to mount this with:
Code:
# /mnt/us/extend/mount.sh
7) grab file from post #24 and copy to where it needs to go

8) then I did:
Code:
# ipkg update
# ipkg upgrade
# ipkg install vim
Yay, syntax highlighting on demand in vi - essential.

And then the last thing I did was edit /etc/motd to add me a reminder that I should run /mnt/us/extend/mount.sh. No need for me to mount at boottime, only needed when actually logging in.

That should be all. This is now also supporting the PW.
Thanks so much for this info: I got all the included optware tools working fine. What I think might really powerful, though, is ipkg. The only question, though, is how compatible it is with the PW. I mean, vim and screen installed worked absolutely perfectly. However, when I tried to install python3, all its depends installed fine, but the python3 package itself hung during the "extracting data files to /" step (btw you only see this when using the ipkg -V 3 flag). Can anyone proffer any advice? I would *LOVE* python on my kindle.
cubemike99 is offline   Reply With Quote