Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Endgadget reports Microsoft's dual-screen Courier booklet

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/22/m...-late-prototy/

Might be something we all can use EReader and Netbook lovers alike.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
I know it's a prototype right now but it looks rather fat. And it's probably not eInk.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
There's also an article about it on Gizmodo:
http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-f...-secret-tablet

I'm not sure which is the 'root' article.
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh Son View Post
I know it's a prototype right now but it looks rather fat. And it's probably not eInk.
Well, it shows colour screens, so eInk it is not...
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
You all and your "it's no e-ink thus it's no good".

I really liked the concept. The question will be how much of it will be left when they finally have a finished product
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
You all and your "it's no e-ink thus it's no good".

I really liked the concept. The question will be how much of it will be left when they finally have a finished product
Never said I didn't like it, I just said it's not eInk since it is using colour screens. I would love a device like that actually
Old 09-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Well, it shows colour screens, so eInk it is not...
Depends on when it's due out. eInk color screens are supposed to be available starting in 2010 last I read...

Not that eInk is the end all in screen tech.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Speaking of dual screens, whatever happened to that dual-eink screen prototype from iriver?

acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Speaking of dual screens, whatever happened to that dual-eink screen prototype from iriver?

It turned into this I think...
Old 09-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
It turned into this I think...
What, a generic Kindle clone? Bah.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
What, a generic Kindle clone? Bah.
disappointing, isn't it ?

as for the rumoured courier device... it reminds me of this :

i hope it gets close, at least...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
lionfish
Connoisseur
lionfish doesn't litterlionfish doesn't litter

Device: E-Book Reader
But why use dual screen for an ereader. IMO, it just doesn't make sense. Double price, double weight, double volume, double power but you are always reading one of the screens only. The only benefit is that you make half of the no. of page turns.

Last edited by lionfish; 09-23-2009 at 10:58 AM.
lionfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #13
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionfish View Post
But why use dual screen for an ereader. IMO, it just doesn't make sense. You pay double price and waste double power while you are always reading one of the screens only. The only benefit is that you make half of the no. of page turns required for a single-screen reader.
I think the main thinking behind the dual-screen setup would be that it would be more like reading a dead-tree book. As in, the feel of it actually beeing one, it would probably get joe public more positive to ereaders.

And I peronsally like the idea of having an ereader that looks like a "normal" book, as for batterydrain, well, I see no real problem as long as it is eink based (with current technology base)
Old 09-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionfish View Post
But why use dual screen for an ereader. IMO, it just doesn't make sense. You pay double price and waste double power while you are always reading one of the screens only. The only benefit is that you make half of the no. of page turns required for a single-screen reader.
- Nostalgia (hey, it looks like a book )
- Natural screen cover/protection when closed.
- Research (different documents on screens, or notes on one screen, or what-have-you)

The screens themselves, given the bi-stable nature of e-ink won't be the biggest power draw by the way. Plus with ever-advancing battery tech the power won't be a problem forever. lithium-polymer is fairly light; you could stick in two smaller batteries one on each side.

Anyway, I'd buy it. I'm a loon but I'm not the only one.

Last edited by acidzebra; 09-23-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Dual screens would be neat for books with maps and stuff. You could have the map on one screen while reading on the other. Even for books without maps if it's set somewhere "real" I like to find a map online to "see" the places being mentioned.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote