Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-26-2024, 02:35 PM   #46
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Please tell me why you would need a GUI wrapper on a GUI program that is simpler and 1000 time easier to use than Word or LibreOffice?
Indeed. Though perhaps not 1000x easier.

It even looks a bit like Excel*, but is far simpler. Rows, Columns, Sort and right click on cells.

[* Historically, I've not used any recent Excel]
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 02:39 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Might I ask that moderators identify themselves in their avatars, or use the green box for moderator actions, so that forum members know who is and is not a moderator, and when something is a moderator action as opposed to a normal post that is legal to replay to?
Generally, the administrator name is shown in green making identification relatively simple. I tend to assume that if the mod box is not present, the mod is speaking their personal opinion.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-26-2024 at 02:46 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2024, 02:41 PM   #48
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Isn't Calibre a GUI program? I think I remember reading in the docs about command line access to some functions. But I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of Calibre users interact with it only from it's GUI.

FWIW, I consider Calibre's GUI to be one of the top GUI's of all time. It is extremely visually appealing and everything you need for day-to-day operations is right there in front of you IMHO. There are some things that you have to dig down deep to find, but that's the case with any program that supports thousands of functions. The major functions are up front, the lesser used ones might require archaeological digging skills to uncover though.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 02:48 PM   #49
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Generally, the moderator name is shown in green making identification relatively simple.
Ah! I never noticed that or never gave it a thought. Just thought it was part of the way people could customize their avatars, usernames, the text under the username, etc.

Good to know. But not obvious until you've been told what it means. This color indication could well be covered in some forum FAQ, but I didn't remember that detail. I don't usually peruse forum FAQ's on a routine basis - usually only when I join a new forum. Typically I find FAQ's are pretty static, remaining unedited for decades sometimes.

Thanks for pointing it out!
Old 03-26-2024, 02:55 PM   #50
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
... I tend to assume that if the mod box is not present, the mod is speaking their personal opinion.
..+1..
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2024, 02:58 PM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Note that I corrected that comment to administrators (AKA Greenies). Moderators don't get that indicator.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:12 PM   #52
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post

Might I ask that moderators identify themselves in their avatars, or use the green box for moderator actions, so that forum members know who is and is not a moderator, and when something is a moderator action as opposed to a normal post that is legal to replay to?

I know you will probably deem my post here as "questioning moderator action". But it is not. I am only asking for clarification on how members are supposed to know what posts can be responded to, and what posts cannot.
The Board level Moderator NAME is in GREEN . The rest of us (including Forum level) can't color our handle.
At the bottom (where there is Guidelines), there is also a list of Moderators for that FORUM (those may not all be Greenies)
Correction, that is only for Forums that hav forum level mods

Last edited by theducks; 03-26-2024 at 03:15 PM. Reason: corrected
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:17 PM   #53
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Here you go:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showgroups.php

Not all names are currently active .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:19 PM   #54
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I tend to assume that if the mod box is not present, the mod is speaking their personal opinion.
That is certainly my policy. Take this for instance:

Moderator Notice
Stop derailing this thread with discussions about Editors/Moderators.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-26-2024 at 03:25 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:35 PM   #55
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
I have always wished calibre would have a GUI wrapper
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 04:15 PM   #56
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If the original poster had only one or two posts I'd have suspected the big endorsement of spending $50 to be spam!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 04:39 PM   #57
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'd have suspected the big endorsement of spending $50 to be spam!
Talk about targeting the wrong audience...
Old 03-26-2024, 05:21 PM   #58
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
Once you install Calibre, install the NoDRM plugin, and do some relatively simple configuration (NoDRM will automatically detect an installed Kindle for PC or Adobe Digital Editions)
It's not so easy on Linux. If you're running ADE in WINE, configuration is not automatic.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:57 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
I have always wished calibre would have a GUI wrapper
What are you on about? Calibre has a GUI.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:02 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If a version of calibre is released that breaks DeDRM, you'll know of it. As it will be mentioned here big time. And if you've updated calibre to that version, you can go back to the last version that works until either calibre is fixed or DeDRM is fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote