Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-30-2024, 03:12 PM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I use Gil Sans on my Kobos.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 03:16 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Comic Sans
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2024, 03:17 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
So long as it's not Comic Sans or something silly, I just use whatever the default for the app/reader is. I couldn't even tell you the name of that font on my main reading app right now. I'm fairly font agnostic.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 03:21 PM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I think I mostly use Georgia, but I don't really care.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 03:51 PM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think I mostly use Georgia, but I don't really care.
I mostly use Georgia on eink, but something a little posher on paper (really PDFs for POD).

People mock Comic Sans, but

A Comic Sans Heading
Some Georgia body text
However I wouldn't use Comic Sans because it's got such a bad rep from people misusing it.

A long time ago I thought Lucida Console was nice; maybe that was in Windows NT 4.0, but I'd never use it now. I use some sort of Courier style font if simulating telgrams, consoles etc.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2024, 03:39 AM   #21
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
I like the Liberation family of fonts. I think it is an updated Times New Roman.
It is free for the download.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 04:56 AM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I use Bookerly with religious fervor and unmitigated joy!
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 05:35 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I use Bookerly with religious fervor and unmitigated joy!
Sacrilege! String him up!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 06:04 AM   #24
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sacrilege! String him up!

OK, I admit, I sometimes use your font. (I like that one, too.)
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:26 AM   #25
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried other fonts besides Bookerly or other fonts that come on a Kindle?
I'm personally quite averse to all Kindle fonts. They're all too heavy for me. Even their Helvetica and Futura. I'll sometime move to Futura when just speed reading stuff that's of little importance to me, but I'll go with Adobes Futura BK instead of Amazon's Futura. I'm pretty sure that Adobes regular Futura is also slimmer and taller than Amazons.
While their serif fonts always had these heavy serifs that were rarely present in other fonts. That's something that was always puzzling me. E-ink is spectacular with thin serifs, even on very low resolution screens they look way better than on other display technology, yet all they give you is regular thick serifs and fonts that were originally designed for low resolution crt displays.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:36 AM   #26
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
A long time ago I thought Lucida Console was nice; maybe that was in Windows NT 4.0, but I'd never use it now. I use some sort of Courier style font if simulating telgrams, consoles etc.
Consolas and Lucida Console are great for exactly that...a monospaced console/text editor/etc.

As you noted, Courier is right for the "old fashioned" feel of telegrams, but if I want to display computer output in an eBook, I use a sans-serif like Myriad, so that it looks similar to what people see on actual computer screens today. Even in a book set in the 1960s, it seems to feel OK without using a fixed-pitch font.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 12:00 PM   #27
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
Consolas and Lucida Console are great for exactly that...a monospaced console/text editor/etc.

As you noted, Courier is right for the "old fashioned" feel of telegrams, but if I want to display computer output in an eBook, I use a sans-serif like Myriad, so that it looks similar to what people see on actual computer screens today. Even in a book set in the 1960s, it seems to feel OK without using a fixed-pitch font.
I need serif fonts in my terminal windows and also hate to think of having to deal with proportional spacing there.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 01:13 PM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I need serif fonts in my terminal windows and also hate to think of having to deal with proportional spacing there.
Agreed. Sometimes I get nostalgic and use green or amber text on very dark green or dark brown.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 02:27 PM   #29
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I prefer Bookerly but if I read a Kepub on Kobo I use LexiaDama because Kepub doesn't handle ligatures.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 03:34 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
I prefer Bookerly but if I read a Kepub on Kobo I use LexiaDama because Kepub doesn't handle ligatures.
Actually you can get KePub to render ligatures.

In the file Kobo eReader.conf (found inside .kobo) under [Reading} add in webkitTextRendering=geometricPrecision and you will get ligatures.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote