Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2022, 01:15 AM   #1
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
calibre 6.x needs latest Obok plugin (10.0.3)

I updated to Calibre 6.2.1 the other day from 5.x. Now I get errors when accessing Obok. Apparently, it's a Calibre/Mac issue (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=74).

Here's the error message:

Until a fix is released, you can
1. download the master file of DeDRM-tools-master
2. unzip it
3. open Terminal
4. cd into the DeDRM-tools-master folder
5 type "py make_release.py"

This is assuming you have Python installed. (I'm pretty certain Python is installed by default, but I've had it installed and upgraded to Python 3 for so long that I can't recall.) You should end up with a file in the directory called DeDRM_tools.zip. Unarchive that and import the two zip files inside into Calibre as plugins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Cootey; 08-09-2022 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Issue is primarily with Calibre
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 02:02 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firstly, why do people insist on posting screenshots of errors from calibre when they could press the "Copy" button and paste the text of that error in? It is a lot easier for the people who might help to read and copy bits so they can look up things.

But, that error has nothing to do with the Kobo desktop update. It is an error because the Obok plugin has not been updated for calibre 6/Qt6. The error is typical of the errors seen with the non-migrated code. In this case, "QTableWidgetItem.UserType" should probably be replaced by "QTableWidgetItem.ItemType.UserType". I have not looked, but, there is probably an update to the plugin available from the DRM plugin source.

And for the record, I haven't updated the Kobo desktop application and have gotten the same error. And the post you are referencing is about the other parts of the DRM plugin, not Obok. And I thought it had been solved.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2022, 02:12 AM   #3
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Firstly, why do people insist on posting screenshots of errors from calibre when they could press the "Copy" button and paste the text of that error in? It is a lot easier for the people who might help to read and copy bits so they can look up things.
To irritate you? Honestly, I didn't even notice the "copy" button. I'll do that if there's a next time.

Quote:
But, that error has nothing to do with the Kobo desktop update. It is an error because the Obok plugin has not been updated for calibre 6/Qt6. The error is typical of the errors seen with the non-migrated code. In this case, "QTableWidgetItem.UserType" should probably be replaced by "QTableWidgetItem.ItemType.UserType". I have not looked, but, there is probably an update to the plugin available from the DRM plugin source.
I was updating my entry while you typed yours. It should reflect the correct issue now, but the title may not be changed, which is regrettable.

Quote:
And for the record, I haven't updated the Kobo desktop application and have gotten the same error. And the post you are referencing is about the other parts of the DRM plugin, not Obok. And I thought it had been solved.
Since I've updated this post three times, I'm not sure which version you read. I only ran into the problem after I updated Kobo Desktop, but as I started to look into it, I realized that the issue was with Calibre. I found more information about the problem outside of this site, including the link I posted which didn't come up in my site search.

However, your plugin works now for me. I compiled it from the GitHub master.

Last edited by Cootey; 08-09-2022 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:49 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
To irritate you? Honestly, I didn't even notice the "copy" button.
Sometimes I wonder.
Quote:
I was updating my entry while you typed yours. It should reflect the correct issue now, but the title may not be changed, which is regrettable.

Since I've updated this post three times, I'm not sure which version you read.
I was probably looking at it after the first edit. I know it had an edit, but, there was nothing below the image when I was replying.
Quote:
I only ran into the problem after I updated Kobo Desktop, but as I started to look into it, I realized that the issue was with Calibre. I found more information about the problem outside of this site, including the link I posted which didn't come up in my site search.

However, your plugin works now for me. I compiled it from the GitHub master.
It is not my plugin. I hadn't bothered to update the DRM removal plugins since the calibre 6 release. I have updated Obok now and the last released version, 10.0.3, works. The changes in the code since then are in areas that are not being used. Most of them are in "common_utils.py" and that is not being used.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:35 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've updated the thread title
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2022, 12:04 AM   #6
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've updated the thread title

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2022, 12:06 AM   #7
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
It is not my plugin. I hadn't bothered to update the DRM removal plugins since the calibre 6 release. I have updated Obok now and the last released version, 10.0.3, works. The changes in the code since then are in areas that are not being used. Most of them are in "common_utils.py" and that is not being used.
All this time I thought it was your plug-in. But you do Kobo Utilities, right?

Old 08-10-2022, 03:35 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
All this time I thought it was your plug-in. But you do Kobo Utilities, right?
Yes, the Kobo Utilities plugin is mine. As is the Kobo Book metadata source plugin. I get involved in the other Kobo related plugins as needed. And there are a few other plugins with my name against them, as I have been update them when the original authors retired or disappeared.

For Obok, it might have some work in it from me in the GUI, but, that was done a long time ago.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:11 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
To irritate you? Honestly, I didn't even notice the "copy" button. I'll do that if there's a next time.
How about recreating the error and replacing the graphic with the text?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote