Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-09-2022, 01:28 PM   #1
synecdoche
synecdoche began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unhappy Replacing Kindle: Signature or another Oasis?

Yesterday I started to have an issue with my Kindle Oasis. It's frozen, displaying the cover of the book I was most recently reading. After trying a rest and spending some time chatting with Amazon support, I've learned that it probably needs to be replaced.

Just my luck, the warranty expired about five weeks ago. After some back and forth Amazon has offered me 40% of a replacement ereader and now I am trying to decide if I want to get another Oasis or go with a Signature Paperwhite.

And now I am torn. I like that the Paperwhite uses USB-C (I find micro-USB cables to be really unreliable) and the battery life is appealing, to say nothing of the fact that it's cheaper and this is an unexpected purchase. But, I do find that the Oasis is a bit easier to hold when I'm lying down and reading in bed and I like that there are physical buttons. I guess the question is if I like those things enough to pay the extra dough.

Any other factors that I should be considering, or strong arguments in favour of either device? Anyone made the switch from the Oasis to the PaperWhite and have any opinions?
synecdoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 01:46 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The new Oasis is probably going to be released soon, as the current Oasis is 3 years old. I would wait until the new model is out before deciding anything.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2022, 04:07 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The new Oasis is probably going to be released soon, as the current Oasis is 3 years old. I would wait until the new model is out before deciding anything.
But it's possible the OP doesn't have a backup reader, so waiting may not be an option. And who knows how long the wait would be?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:28 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
But it's possible the OP doesn't have a backup reader, so waiting may not be an option. And who knows how long the wait would be?
Then it's a question of how important the lopsided shape and the buttons are to the OP.

I wouldn't buy a 3-year-old model unless it's heavily discounted. But then I wouldn't want a buttonless Paperwhite even for free. YMMV, of course.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:36 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Amazon’s specific discounts tend to have an expiration date, also, which if it applies in this case makes waiting on a new Oasis a non-starter.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2022, 05:03 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Where did yu get this info that you keep telling others?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 05:49 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Where did yu get this info that you keep telling others?
I said "probably", in the case you didn't notice. And I go by the age of the current Oasis. Of course it's pure speculation and it's entirely possible Amazon won't release a new Oasis at all anymore.
Old 05-09-2022, 05:55 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I said "probably", in the case you didn't notice. And I go by the age of the current Oasis. Of course it's pure speculation and it's entirely possible Amazon won't release a new Oasis at all anymore.
Maybe Amazon is done with the Oasis and the next Kindle will be something else. Suggesting to wait for something that you have no idea if it's even going to happen is not good advice (IMHO).
Old 05-09-2022, 05:58 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe Amazon is done with the Oasis and the next Kindle will be something else. Suggesting to wait for something that you have no idea if it's even going to happen is not good advice (IMHO).
Neither is it good advice to buy a device which is several years old at full price.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:13 PM   #10
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Neither is it good advice to buy a device which is several years old at full price.
Technically it’d be 40% off, but I’d still agree. Why get a three year old model when it’s likely that the Oasis 2019 replacement will be announced?

Note I said replacement they can call it the Kindle Wave for all it really matters
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:40 AM   #11
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I think the new paperwhites look rather appealing: larger screens, warm light etc. But once you're used to page buttons, they can be missed. However, you might quickly become used to swiping.

Maybe take a good look at the Signature, but consider how much you'd miss having the features of an Oasis.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 03:44 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Then it's a question of how important the lopsided shape and the buttons are to the OP.

I wouldn't buy a 3-year-old model unless it's heavily discounted. But then I wouldn't want a buttonless Paperwhite even for free. YMMV, of course.
I guess I can't quite understand why a three year old model (not a three year old device) makes that much difference in an eReader.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 03:49 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I guess I can't quite understand why a three year old model (not a three year old device) makes that much difference in an eReader.
It may not (depending on what features matter to you), but I wouldn't pay the full release price for it on principle, nor advise anyone else to do so. You might, of course, preferences differ.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:28 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Technically it’d be 40% off, but I’d still agree. Why get a three year old model when it’s likely that the Oasis 2019 replacement will be announced?

Note I said replacement they can call it the Kindle Wave for all it really matters

And it's now available!

The Kindle Wave will be released this Summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Kindle - The Wave .jpg
Views:	155
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	193766  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:38 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
And it's now available!

The Kindle Wave will be released this Summer.
The dog is waving goodbye to the Kindle and going off to buy a Kobo.

Tags
kindle, oasis, paperwhite, signature