Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-22-2017, 04:19 AM   #1
Amaru
Amaru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Convert files on Kindle Paperwhite to AZW3 possible?

Hello,

I have many documents on my Kindle Paperwhite, that I've sent without converting it to the AZW3 format, which now I understand it to be the optimum format. Kindle is a really suboptimal PDF reader.

I have synced all my Kindle files with my library, so I could theoretically delete the Kindle files and resend them in the right format azw3. Only thing is, I'd lose my collections and the highlights.

Is there a way to convert the documents on the Kindle itself directly?

edit: I tried a few documents converted from pdf to azw3, the readability is not much better, few are, some are not. Is there a useful method with calibre at all to make pdfs Kindle Paperwhite readable?

Last edited by Amaru; 12-22-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Conversion does not make the document better.
Conversion from PDF is usually worse. PDF is a paste-up format, not a linear format.

Conversion CAN allow you to add finer control by allowing further editing.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2017, 02:50 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
Is there a way to convert the documents on the Kindle itself directly?
Don't think so - but you would get a definitive answer in the Kindle forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
edit: I tried a few documents converted from pdf to azw3, the readability is not much better, few are, some are not. Is there a useful method with calibre at all to make pdfs Kindle Paperwhite readable?
Converting PDF documents is a hit and miss affair, there is no single or best way to do it, see ==>> Read this before Posting PDF Questions.

And search the forums for "convert PDF", the topic has been discussed dozens if not hundreds of times at considerable length.

Also take a look at k2pdfopt: optimizes PDFs for viewing on e-readers

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote