Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-19-2016, 02:27 AM   #1
unfairrobot
unfairrobot began at the beginning.

Device: none
Spellcheck in book view + selected text spellcheck

Hi all,

I'm helping a non-technical book author use Sigil to do some ebook editing and it seems (from reading a few other posts here) that the ability to do on-the-fly spellchecking in book view is not yet available? He's finding code view pretty difficult to work in, so I was wondering whether anyone knew if this feature will be added at some point.

Also, he's asked whether it's possible to do a partial book spellcheck, so that instead of being presented with every misspelling in the whole book, he could, for example, highlight a few paragraphs and just do a spellcheck on the selected text. As far as I could see, this is not possible.

I understand development is done by volunteers and we're certainly grateful to have Sigil even as it is, but I'd appreciate any info on these so that I can feed some answers back to him.

Thanks!
Peter.
unfairrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:00 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Spellcheck will not become available for the bookview afaik. Furthermore, if I understood correctly, the featureset for bookview is frozen.

As the spellcheck is pretty fast, what would be the added value of limiting it to a selection? The power of the list generate a list of all misspelled word is in the complete list. One thing you can spot then (which you usually cannot spot otherwise) is misspelled names in the complete text.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@unfairrobot - not many authors use Sigil as their primary tool , most use a word processor or writer tools such as Scrivener or yWriter. Some spell check and correct as they type into their primary tools, others use their primary tools spell checker periodically.

In that scenario, it shouldn't be necessary to use Sigil's spell checker to find and correct run-of-the-mill misspellings. Although it is useful as a secondary check, providing consistent dictionaries are used.

However its list presentation and options to list all words, do case-sensitive sorts, and apply filters take it beyond conventional spell-checking to facilitate checks for spelling inconsistencies, erroneous hyphens, the 'wrongful' use of digits etc.

For me, Sigil is to the e-book world, what the copy-editor (partially), the printer and bookbinder are to the paper book world. One wouldn't expect (or even want) a printer to be responsible for spelling corrections.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-19-2016 at 05:05 PM. Reason: clarity
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote