Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
malmhdy
Enthusiast
malmhdy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Big problem please help

i just updated my KT to new version software 5.1 and after that i tried to install hacks jail break and auto rotate screen then restarted my KT and
seen the following message

your kindle needs repair
please contact kindle customer service at
http://www.kindle.com/support

what can i do to solve this
malmhdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
malmhdy
Enthusiast

also usb not working
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmhdy View Post
i just updated my KT to new version software 5.1 and after that i tried to install hacks jail break and auto rotate screen then restarted my KT and
seen the following message

your kindle needs repair
please contact kindle customer service at
http://www.kindle.com/support

what can i do to solve this
You may need to reset the boot counter or erase mmcblk0p3. Details and links in "Simple Debricking" and "Select Boot" threads. If you are "too bricked" to do either of those, then use MfgTool to boot to fastboot, flash 5.0.0 main kernel, flash diags with SSH, set bootmode diags, boot diags and run SSH, dd 5.0.0 main partition image. If problems, probably low battery. Charge and try again. After debricked, then try system update again. Some hacks might not work with new firmware...

simple debricking: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

select boot: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645

fastboot manifesto: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170241

kindle touch hacking: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch_Hacking

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-12-2012 at 10:03 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
General comment ahead:

Come on guys, use just a little bit of common sense. Firmware 5.1.0 has been out for less than 2 days, and the version number change indicates that it contains rather significant changes.

At least, give a few people a little bit of time to check what the effects of the changes are.

What you are doing is just plain Kamikaze. You install the latest cutting-edge release, which includes significant changes from previous versions, and then you try to install hacks (for those previous versions) which tamper around deeply in the internals of the system.

You're of course free to do these kind of things if you know how to handle it. But if you do dangerous stuff that you can't handle, don't come back whining. Or *at least*, try to solve the problem by yourself before you do so. People here (well, geekmaster in particular) spend *a lot* of time trying to help other people, patiently repeating the same information over and over and over and over again. You could have found the solution to your problem by just searching here, or looking at the wiki page. But of course, it's easier to lay back and let others do the work.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
General comment ahead:

Come on guys, use just a little bit of common sense. Firmware 5.1.0 has been out for less than 2 days, and the version number change indicates that it contains rather significant changes.
People here (well, geekmaster in particular) spend *a lot* of time trying to help other people, patiently repeating the same information over and over and over and over again. You could have found the solution to your problem by just searching here, or looking at the wiki page. But of course, it's easier to lay back and let others do the work.
I became infinitely patient after I had repeated episodes with people going "ape-shit ballistic" after I included "RTFM" in my reply. All these noobs diving into the deep end without checking to see if there is water in the pool first -- geez...

RTFM

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-12-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 05:15 AM   #6
malmhdy
Enthusiast

sorry geekmaster for saying that : i really need help iam from egypt and iam not developer and i don't know any one to repair it for me
i can't understant and do all these steps
please can u help me in simple way
Old 04-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
malmhdy
Enthusiast

and i can't download kindleselectboot file always download not completed server problem can any one put it on mediafire or rapidshare
Old 04-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #8
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Please accept that there is no simple way. Geekmaster linked some threads with information above. I would suggest you work carefully through these threads. Yes, it will take some hours.

Carefully read the threads, and when you have questions, then first check if someone else already asked the question. If you feel that is not the case, then please ask in the corresponding thread.

To get help, don't ask "it's broken, help me". Instead, start on your own and when you have problems, ask explicitly about them. E.g. ask
"I tried to [...] like described in the guide. But when it should [...] according to the guide, instead it does [...]. What can I do about it?"
Or even in simple cases, please ask questions like "I do not understand the guide. What is this [...] thing it is talking about?"

It's not easy for us to ignore desperate pleas for help, you know. But it's impossible to help individually in every case. However, there are good abstract guides which will help you to help yourself. Only that way it is feasible at all to help people on such a large scale.

Edit: sorry, I see you have finally started on your own. That's good. But please give your feedback in the relevant threads. That makes it more probable that you will get help. Some people simply stopped reading those "help me, my kindle is bricked" threads, but will support the "debricking howto" threads. And, please, stop creating a new thread for every problem you stumble upon...

Last edited by hawhill; 04-13-2012 at 05:37 AM.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
geekmaster

Quote:
and i can't download kindleselectboot file always download not completed server problem can any one put it on mediafire or rapidshare
KindleSelectBoot: http://www.mediafire.com/?cx57cgxdglbtggj
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
... And, please, stop creating a new thread for every problem you stumble upon...
EDIT: I deleted the redundant "cross-post" thread, with moderator assistance.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-13-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
malmhdy
Enthusiast

thanks too much sir , i did and opened usb device mode but i don't know what is next to do
Old 04-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
thanks too much sir , i did and opened usb device mode but i don't know what is next to do
What do you mean by "USB device mode"?

That tool supports booting to main, diags, and fastboot mode (without permanently changing the bootmode). Which bootmode did you select?

It is important for you to supply enough information so that we can help you without incorrect assumptions or misunderstandings, but especially so that we do not waste our valuable time and effort by researching the wrong problem...

Please?
Old 04-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #12
malmhdy
Enthusiast

sorry sir iam not expert and my little english dont help to understand
iam very sad now it is frozen no response at all restart or any thing

only the following menu on kindle appear and now response at all to any thing

s)device settings
o)operator test suite
r) run test
e)511
t)power test
b)audio test
h)adjusting battary
m)
n)
y)....etc
Old 04-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
sorry sir iam not expert and my little english dont help to understand
iam very sad now it is frozen no response at all restart or any thing

only the following menu on kindle appear and now response at all to any thing

s)device settings
o)operator test suite
r) run test
e)511
t)power test
b)audio test
h)adjusting battary
m)
n)
y)....etc
From that menu, you can export your USB drive, so you can read and write files to it. You can set fastboot mode there (or boot to fastboot using MfgTool), and from fastboot you can flash a diags partition that has a working SSH. From SSH you can connect in and type linux commands directly inside the kindle. You can fix anything from there. But you need some linux knowledge.

There are probably linux books written in your native language.

You need to know stuff to do stuff, you know...
Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #14
malmhdy
Enthusiast

sorry again sir iam very depressed and i have exams near
i said this menu is frozen with no respond to touch or restart
plz help
Old 04-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
geekmaster

Quote:
sorry again sir iam very depressed and i have exams near
i said this menu is frozen with no respond to touch or restart
plz help
Try pressing the power button to see it it is off, even though the display contains the menu. If that does not help, then it sounds like you have a dead battery. Plug it into a wall charger for a few hours. Then use MfgTool to switch to fastboot mode and charge it in that mode for several more hours. Then boot to diags and see if the diags menu works.

You can ALWAYS restart it if the battery is not dead, but holding the power button for about 20 seconds (until the LED goes off while the USB is plugged in).

Can you boot to fastboot mode with MfgTool? Can you reboot to diags, and if yes, does the screen change during the startup? We need more information.

What do you mean by "frozen"? Does it show diags even when booting from MfgTool, or what?

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-13-2012 at 08:21 AM.