Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: What's more important, New features or fix the current bugs first?
New features are important, fixing the bugs as Kobo adds features is fine with me. 31 33.33%
I don't want any more new features, they should spend all their energy on fixing the bugs first. 62 66.67%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #46
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
And that's why there's lots of eReaders. We have different priorities and preferences. I don't mind any of the three you listed, and if I did I can easily take care of two of them by installing PRS+ and booting the custom firmware instead. And install any font I want.

But I can't imagine living without the multiple bookmarks or collections feature, or the ability to switch between sorting by title, author, date added, date read, or file name.
Then you might as well wait for the new Sonys to come out before buying your back-up reader. Looks like it will be a good price point, and should be packed with all the Sony features you know and love
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I don't get is why Kobo needs to use an SQL database. Nobody else uses such.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #48
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
lol sorry, that didn't mean to come out as aggressive at it seemed, but I think I've been letting peoples feelings of self entitlement get to me on some game boards I read, and it kinda just exploded here
Bah, no worries. This is the internet, only newcomers take things personally.

I actually agree completely with you. Side-effect of that tech support job I mentioned earlier...
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #49
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Then you might as well wait for the new Sonys to come out before buying your back-up reader. Looks like it will be a good price point, and should be packed with all the Sony features you know and love
The thought has crossed my mind... I'm watching them very closely.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #50
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
B&N uses their own DRM format. But underneath, it's still just simply an epub format book. I have no idea why Kobo felt compelled to create their own proprietary changes to epub and are now stuck have two support two reader code paths. (I'm sure it made sense at the time, but surely there must come a time when it will make more sense to give it up and just go with epub)
and for all intents and purposes, a KEPUB is, now, just an epub. we were even experimenting a few months ago with regular epubs giving them .kepub.epub extensions so we could access the kepub features. Previously (with the original Kobo, and with the wifi for a bit), they had used an SQL database to store the books. since they moved away from that, it has gotten better
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #51
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I don't get is why Kobo needs to use an SQL database. Nobody else uses such.
I don't believe it's SQL anymore though.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #52
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
and for all intents and purposes, a KEPUB is, now, just an epub. we were even experimenting a few months ago with regular epubs giving them .kepub.epub extensions so we could access the kepub features. Previously (with the original Kobo, and with the wifi for a bit), they had used an SQL database to store the books. since they moved away from that, it has gotten better
Yes, I know, I tried that. At best the cover wouldn't work at all when you did that. At worst.. well, I tried with some epub books with multi-level toc, the results were not pretty. (You couldn't actually read the book, the reader would skip to the next top level chapter when you tried turning a page.)
Kepubs are, alas, not just epubs. But they should be.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I don't believe it's SQL anymore though.
But it is still an easily corruptible database format isn't it?

Anyway, I'd rather the bugs be fixed and then the new features can be rolled out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #54
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
Quote:
I own both the prs-650 and the Kobo touch. I've long since switched to the Kobo as my primary reader, despite the .... flaws. As far as some features, such as Bookmarks, annotation and text search, the Sony is miles ahead, no doubt.
I guess a lot of this depends on what you use your eReader for - I'm using it for personal reading only - where I mostly read one book at a time, no endnotes, no annotations, no need for more than one bookmark, etc, so the KT is just what I wanted.

If I were back in school, reading either for a literature class, science books, etc., I can see where this type of ability would be great to have. Hmm, although, at that point, I probably would lean more towards a tablet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Bottom line, the Kobo should not be recommended for folks who will be sideloading content.
Ummmmm, I've got ~500 side-loaded books that would say otherwise A collection of drm-free from Baen, converted from other sources (lit, mobi, etc), and hand-crafted.

Admittedly I did write up some scripts to "clean" the html, but that seemed more because of the poor formatting of some of the copies I've been grabbing (slowly duplicating my brothers paper library on my KT)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But it is still an easily corruptible database format isn't it?

Anyway, I'd rather the bugs be fixed and then the new features can be rolled out.
Hum, isn't it SQL, or close to? Been a while since I've done anything more than basic database stuff, but I know I dumped all of the preloaded content using the sqlite plugin in firefox when I first bought the KT.

It'd be interesting to know what, if any benefits there are to having a DB, and how Sony/B&N keep track of thigns...
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:38 AM   #55
chookie2
Connoisseur
chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad mc7 16gig
I would simply like the Marvin I paid for to work with Calibre...an IOS 8.02 fix is needed urgently.
chookie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #56
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
What does Marvin and its issues with iOS 8.0.2 have to do with a Kobo bug fix vs. new features discussion? Perhaps a complaint at MarvinApp.com would be a better starting point.

Have you checked the Calibre plugins forum for issues with Marvin? See Marvin XD

Last edited by DNSB; 10-13-2014 at 10:00 PM. Reason: added Calibre plugsins forum referenced
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #57
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'd like kobo to fix their quality control issues and actually allow me to be able to buy an ereader that isn't faulty and works okay.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote