Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-25-2020, 06:11 AM   #2791
MOREAWESOMETHANU
MOREAWESOMETHANU began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hey
I'm reading any and every book that cross reference The Dark Tower, The Crimson King, and Randall Flagg ( S.King)
I'm on The Stand
Recently Finished
The Talisman, Eyes Of the Dragon, The Black House.

Best It

In the near future
Harry Potter ( spoken of in DT)

Happy Reading
MOREAWESOMETHANU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #2792
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I started and finished The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks read by Stephen Kenny.

However, this is not only a dark book, it's a gross and violent book, especially towards animals, and I'm sure some people would have trouble reading some of it.
I like Iain Banks so it's good to know in advance about this issue. There are times when I just can't read that kind of stuff, but it will be on my list with that note. I finished that free short story at Audible called The Bone Farm by Dean Koontz and that had some powerful violence in that as well (serial killer). Note - I think the series of short stories by Koontz was free with Prime.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2020, 03:12 PM   #2793
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Currently listening to the 4 book epic Heritage of Shannara by Terry Brooks (it's one story). I'm on book 2 - Druid of Shannara. I started a relisten of the Shannara books in anticipation of the final book currently scheduled to be published in June. I won't be able to get the audiobook until I rejoin Audible in November, but I think it will take me until then to get the rest done anyway.
I actually started my audiobook habit with the Shannara books years back, which also took me back into the fantasy genre, largely abandoned since high school. I hit a wall with Ilse Witch, though: the only version available (still) is an abridged recording with the single worst narrator I've ever encountered. As far as I can tell, he's never had any other work in the industry, and with good reason. It was the first of the very few occasions I've dropped a book because of the narrator. You'd think such a popular and lucrative series would get a new version done, unabridged and with a professional reader.

I did like the Shannara Chronicles TV series that ran a couple seasons a few years ago. It drew a lot of criticism, but I thought the aesthetics were 100% appropriate for the source material. It covers the "Elfstones" trilogy, the second cycle of Shannara books.

Right now, I'm on the last book of The Passage series. The series borrows a lot aesthetically from early Stephen King, but Cronin doesn't have King's writing chops, and characterization is pretty crude/absent. Also, he's very invested in the fatey-watey "Lord's will" shtick. The result is pulp that takes itself rather seriously, lending it an Ed Wood kind of appeal. There is a lot of violence, but rarely much graphic detail, and again sufficient unreality to the whole order of things in Cronin's world that the gore is not too hard to take.

ETA: As I think about it, the Ed Wood comparison is spot-on, even if they have a very different set of delusional aesthetics. Both lean heavily on cliches and other peoples' work and are not creative in a traditional sense, but when the borrowed or repetitious material passes through their deluded mindset, the results have a unique quality. The delusion substitutes for creativity.

Last edited by taosaur; 01-28-2020 at 03:26 PM.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #2794
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I actually started my audiobook habit with the Shannara books years back, which also took me back into the fantasy genre, largely abandoned since high school. I hit a wall with Ilse Witch, though: the only version available (still) is an abridged recording with the single worst narrator I've ever encountered. As far as I can tell, he's never had any other work in the industry, and with good reason. It was the first of the very few occasions I've dropped a book because of the narrator. You'd think such a popular and lucrative series would get a new version done, unabridged and with a professional reader.
I was puzzled too as to why this wasn't reissued unabridged (and with a better narrator). We can hope. Put in a request to Audible and if enough people do, they will work to seek the rights and redo it. It would be great to have John Lee do this trilogy as well, but really anybody professional - Just not Scott Brick who did a half-assed job on Shannara. I am actually a fan of Scott Brick and was rather disappointed with his narration of the book.

I'll just have to read the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara trilogy. Wasn't one of my favorites either but it's been more than 15 years since I read it the last time.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:18 PM   #2795
Bonilla
Bonilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Being Mortal. My grandfather is living with me now (95 years old) and I put it on for him to read. He was crying, so I figured I better read it, too. It's great so far
Bonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2020, 05:40 PM   #2796
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Finished up The Forge. It was well done. I enjoyed it. I picked up the next in the series (The Hammer) and put it in my reading list.

I started a re-listen of The Lightning Thief, by Rick Riordan. This is the first of the Percy Jackson books. I like to change the pace in the books that I listen to so I don't get burned out on one particular type of book. In general, one of the things that I look for in YA books is a certain sense of humor/whimsy. Sure there are a lot of YA books that are grim, but I tend to avoid those.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:43 PM   #2797
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Finished up The Forge. It was well done. I enjoyed it. I picked up the next in the series (The Hammer) and put it in my reading list.

I started a re-listen of The Lightning Thief, by Rick Riordan. This is the first of the Percy Jackson books. I like to change the pace in the books that I listen to so I don't get burned out on one particular type of book. In general, one of the things that I look for in YA books is a certain sense of humor/whimsy. Sure there are a lot of YA books that are grim, but I tend to avoid those.
I am currently reading the second of three volumes of The Complete Hammer's Slammers. I think I need to get these in audio and listen to them too.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #2798
Tarana
Wizard

Just finishing Dead or Alive by Tom Clancy and Grant Blackwood. It's a good book (Violence) but compared to Clancy's earlier books, only so-so. There is a fair slog early on and some of the politics was Clancy's personal spurting, but otherwise, multiple missions. I gave it a 4 as I will likely listen to it again in future. Narrator was great. Very long book (900+ pages). Getting a lot of fantasy in this month, so need the break with thrillers and scifi.

Also finished Dead Beat, Dresden series. I'll fit it another at the end of the month after I finish Shannara.

On or about the 15th of the month is when I'm starting the Shannara mini-series every month. Word and the Void is the next group and I've never listened/read this one before so looking forward to it.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:18 PM   #2799
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I am currently reading the second of three volumes of The Complete Hammer's Slammers. I think I need to get these in audio and listen to them too.
Apache
I don't think they have any of the Complete Hammer's Slammers books. I've got the first four Slammer's books, all read by Stefan Rudnicki, one of the better narrators in the business. Very good.

It kind of looks like the days of the huge sales at audible.com is over. It use to be that I could count on at least a few books in my wish list to go on sale, but I haven't seen any go on sale over the last 5 or 6 months. I do have a few that are no longer available. Oh well.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:07 PM   #2800
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Currently listening to Anne of Green Gables, by Lucy Maud Montgomery, and the (excellent) narration is by Rachel McAdams. This is the New Leaf Book Club selection for February, and I'm quite enjoying it, though discussion will have to wait until the 15th.

Last edited by CRussel; 02-12-2020 at 04:10 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:56 AM   #2801
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Finished up my change of pace re-listen of The Lightning Thief and started on The Hammer, book 2 of the General series. The Lightning Thief stood up to a second listen rather nicely. That's not always the case.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #2802
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Just finished The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny then started Blight of the Blackwings by Kevin Hearne narrated by Luke Daniels and Xe Sands.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:05 AM   #2803
Tarana
Wizard

Listened to Call of the Wild by Jack London yesterday (free for Echo owners). Haven't read it since high school in the 70s. Still a great story! Now on book 2 of Word and the Void trilogy by Terry Brooks. FWIW, I returned an audiobook to Audible. The Science of Diskworld by Terry Pratchett was so boring I could not keep on. There is pretty much no humor in this.

Last edited by Tarana; 02-21-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:07 PM   #2804
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I have two going at present...

Murder at Kensington Palace, third in the Wrexford & Sloane series set in Regency England. There is a romantic angle of sorts, but in the background (implied). Really like these books!

Wasn't really getting into the novel French Exit, but when the action shifted from New York to Paris midway through it became funny rather than dark.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:44 PM   #2805
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’ve also got two going, two 19th-century classics.

The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain is narrated by Grover Gardner, who is doing his typical excellent job with a folksy voice as an interpreter of Twain.

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, which I know I’ve read but have no memory of it. Tremendous fun with its combination of sinister melodrama and humor and shifting unreliable narrators. Better than I anticipated, in fact. Read by James Langton who is new to me and very good.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations