Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-01-2023, 01:09 PM   #1
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
New Kindle Paperwhite colored backs

Seems like we're at least getting some spice on the paperwhites.

https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperw...09TMZKQR7?th=1

The 16gb and SE editions have 2 new colors. Agave (Sage), and Denim.

I hope we get them here too.

I would've liked if they also made the new colors available for the 8gb version as well.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:50 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Who makes the Kingle Paperwhite?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2023, 01:52 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Colored backs are useless because they aren't seen using a case. Should be different color bezels.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:15 PM   #4
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Not everybody uses a case while reading. I carry my Kindle in a neoprene sleeve for protection, remove it from there, and read with it totally naked (the Kindle, not me! - although I might have to try that if bystanders around me keep talking and making noise when I'm reading)
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 03:24 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Who makes the Kingle Paperwhite?
Kris does.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2023, 03:50 PM   #6
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There is also a new colour option for the fabric and leather cases. They now come in "Agave Green".

Although they are supposed to be the same colour, the fabric cover looks a quite a bit different. More grey instead of green.

-> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BFBQMH3J?th=1

-> https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperw...dp/B0BFBSD9S3/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	712HhERqYYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	199391   Click image for larger version

Name:	81V-P2cUZbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	199392  

Last edited by kyôdai; 02-01-2023 at 03:52 PM.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:25 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
There is also a new colour option for the fabric and leather cases. They now come in "Agave Green".

Although they are supposed to be the same colour, the fabric cover looks a quite a bit different. More grey instead of green.

-> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BFBQMH3J?th=1

-> https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperw...dp/B0BFBSD9S3/
These covers are rather expensive.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:44 AM   #8
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
I have the first generation Oasis, and have had it for over six years, so this is tempting, with the denim Signature being "only" $140 USD right now.

I do admit, however, that I like the design of my old Oasis, regardless of all its design flaws to keep the main battery in the cover. I especially like the physical buttons, the metal back, and the light weight when removed from its cover.

I've been waiting to see if they make a new Oasis or discontinue it. And with this Signature Paperwhite being over a year old, I'm hesitant about jumping ship to it right now. But...this price point is good.

Opinions?
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 11:59 AM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I wish they had gone full body on the colors like they did on the Basic. I think the denim Basic looks really nice.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:11 PM   #10
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
I've been waiting to see if they make a new Oasis or discontinue it. And with this Signature Paperwhite being over a year old, I'm hesitant about jumping ship to it right now. But...this price point is good.

Opinions?
The Oasis should've been updated right after the Basic, but we had the Scribe instead so who knows if there's even gonna be an Oasis at this point.

If we're going by the averages of release dates, the Paperwhite is due for a refresh next year. But we just had these new colors released so I doubt we'd get a new paperwhite so soon.

Honestly though, I think we're reaching a peak with e-readers. Even the Basic and the Paperwhite right now only have minimal differences. The Paperwhite being a year old doesn't really mean anything when it comes to e-readers.

Personally, unless you're really, really in love with the Oasis' form factor, it's hard to justify its price when the current Paperwhite exists.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:39 PM   #11
PredicateD
PredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with others

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10th Gen.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
I have the first generation Oasis, and have had it for over six years, so this is tempting, with the denim Signature being "only" $140 USD right now.

I do admit, however, that I like the design of my old Oasis, regardless of all its design flaws to keep the main battery in the cover. I especially like the physical buttons, the metal back, and the light weight when removed from its cover.

Opinions?
While I agree that it's a pretty nice price for what you get, I'd personally hold off until I truly needed to replace my current kindle. Just my two cents.
PredicateD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:31 AM   #12
cgk
Enthusiast
cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite Signature
just traded out my oasis for a green PW signature. It was my final usb-a device and so I gave up on waiting.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:47 AM   #13
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk View Post
just traded out my oasis for a green PW signature. It was my final usb-a device and so I gave up on waiting.
I'm probably going to do the same thing. I got rid of my Bose QC35 II and now only the Oasis is left with micro-USB connectors and I only have one charging cable that fits
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 02:40 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk View Post
The Oasis uses micro-USB, not USB-A.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:27 PM   #15
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Oasis uses micro-USB, not USB-A.
Whatever it uses. It is old. Everybody understood what was meant. The micro-USB cable that fits the older models will have most likely a USB-A at the other end to stick into your charger. The USB-C to micro-USB cables are a lot less common, let alone the reversible micro-USB charging only cables.

ETA: there is nice cables that are USB-C to USB-C with optional (and removeable with scissors later) USB-A on one end and micro-USB adapters on the other. They would be a good stop-gap until all micro-USB devices died off and got replaced. (e.g. this cable on Amazon)

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 02-05-2023 at 03:35 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote