Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-16-2022, 06:15 PM   #1
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Brooklyn Library discontinuing out-of-state library cards

From their borrowing page.
Quote:
As of July 15, 2022, Brooklyn Public Library is no longer offering its fee-based out-of-state library card. Our priority remains serving Brooklynites and assuring that they can access the materials they need in a timely manner. BPL Library cards remain free for anyone who lives, works, pays property taxes or attends school in New York State. Existing out-of-state accounts will remain active until their expiration date and will not be renewable.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 07:25 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Well, that’s a blow. My state OverDrive stinks, to put it mildly. However, I think they’re entirely in the right; $50 was never going to cover the costs of an aggressive out-of-state user.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2022, 10:22 PM   #3
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
This makes me sad

At least I have 7 more months on my current membership. I will now concentrate on library loans instead of purchased titles.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 11:14 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Instead of annual memberships, maybe they should've done it monthly: $9.99~$14.99
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 01:20 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Well, that’s a blow. My state OverDrive stinks, to put it mildly. However, I think they’re entirely in the right; $50 was never going to cover the costs of an aggressive out-of-state user.
I hope Queens doesn't follow. I'm using their out-of-country membership and it's great.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2022, 06:17 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I hope Queens doesn't follow. I'm using their out-of-country membership and it's great.
Does Queen's Overdrive allow you to do recommendations?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:33 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm going to need to replace my Brooklyn membership. I would be interested in recommendations. I'm going to go through the list here:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBo...ail.2C_to_non-

I currently have Brooklyn and OCLS "cards".
Old 07-17-2022, 06:44 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Does Queen's Overdrive allow you to do recommendations?
Yes it does
Old 07-17-2022, 07:25 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I always kind of thought it was unfair to the local taxpayers who built the libraries and paid the help with their taxes.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 09:02 AM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm quite surprised, especially as it was only a few months back that Brooklyn offered free out-of-state cards to teenagers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I didn't even know the Queens system offered nonresident cards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm going to need to replace my Brooklyn membership. I would be interested in recommendations. I'm going to go through the list here:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBo...ail.2C_to_non-

I currently have Brooklyn and OCLS "cards".
I have a Charlotte Mecklenburg card ($45/yr, or $35/yr for senior citizens); I got it specifically for access to Hoopla. But I've used it more often to borrow new books that have much longer waiting lists at my three NYC library systems.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 11:42 AM   #11
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
I've got almost 11 months left, glad I went for it when I did. Based on the audiobook value I've gotten in a little over a month I would happily pay double for the out of state membership.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 12:15 PM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I always kind of thought it was unfair to the local taxpayers who built the libraries and paid the help with their taxes.
I'd happily pay more than I already do - it's not free. I'm assuming they've done their sums and this is a welcome extra revenue stream.
Old 07-17-2022, 01:23 PM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer

The Wiki looks rather old and I'm not sure how to edit it, so this post will have the info that I find. The number of books will be Overdrive Epub books using advanced search.

Brooklyn Public Library : Number of books: 177,000

Metropolitan Library System of Oklahoma City: Annual fee $70, 186,000 ebooks + Hoopla. Thank you to Fbone for posting this:

Quote:
I chatted with a woman there, and she told me this, "Yes, you can email us at askalibrarian@metrolibrary.org with your name, date of birth, phone number, and address. With that information, we'll be able to create the account and get you set up to pay the $70 annual fee online."
Orange County (Florida) : Annual fee $125, Number of Books: 116,000. No Recommends. They also have FReading.

Houston library : Annual fee $40, Number of books: 49,300

Queens library: Annual fee $50. 48,000 epubs. Thank you to issybird for the info.

Charlotte Mecklenburg : Annual Fee $45, Number of Books: 28,700

Westchester library (NY) : Annual fee $75 (looks like you need to mail the payment)., Number of books: 52,300

Carnegie library of Pittsburgh: "Out of State Residents: As a resident outside of Pennsylvania you will be asked to pay a $30.00 Out of State fee to register for a library card. This card must be renewed every two years at any CLP location."

Other libraries had less then 30,000 ebooks.

And I'm going to stop updating this, as I've joined the Metropolitan Library.

Last edited by John F; 07-18-2022 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:00 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
^^And Queens: Annual fee $50. 48,000 epubs, but 86,000 OverDrive Reads, which is unfortunate. Assuming entire overlap, that’s roughly 40,000 books that can only be read in a browser.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 02:15 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
^^And Queens: Annual fee $50. 48,000 epubs, but 86,000 OverDrive Reads, which is unfortunate. Assuming entire overlap, that’s roughly 40,000 books that can only be read in a browser.
Thanks, I'll add it to the list.