Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2021, 11:37 PM   #31
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
Re contrast: KoReader has a great contrast adjuster.
I don't know whether some 'inbuilt' contrast within the device 'transcends' this.

I do know that on the first Libra (H20) it made at least one PDF I tried significantly easier to read.

This also begs the question: if KoReader can do it, why hasn't Kobo built that into the software?

Last edited by LivresInOz; 12-03-2021 at 11:40 PM.
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:39 PM   #32
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

This whole 'swipe to wake' thing in the Forma is irking to hear about.

Is there a chance this might become optional in the software?
Is there a hack to get around it?

It might seem trivial but my whole love for the first Libra (H20) is it got me reading more cos it was so easy to just pick up and start reading. Adding the need for a swipe degrades that a little.

Lol I have a bad association with 'waking things up' because I did something to my X Redmi 2 that meant I could no longer fully wake it with the power button, requiring thousands of (to me) pointless swipes over the last couple of years. Really annoying when you're trying to quickly access maps to catch the next tram, train or bus!

Last edited by LivresInOz; 12-03-2021 at 11:42 PM.
Advert
Old 12-04-2021, 12:23 AM   #33
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I don't get what swipe to wake means. On my forma I use the sleep cover and I merely open the cover and the device is awake.

On my libra 2, (whilst I wait for my sleep cover to arrive), I lightly depress the power button and it wakes up. Same way to send the device into sleep mode, I lightly depress the power button.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:25 AM   #34
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenji View Post
Re contrast: KoReader has a great contrast adjuster.
I don't know whether some 'inbuilt' contrast within the device 'transcends' this.

I do know that on the first Libra (H20) it made at least one PDF I tried significantly easier to read.

This also begs the question: if KoReader can do it, why hasn't Kobo built that into the software?
Personally I neither use (or need) KOReader nor read PDFs. Font weight adjustment does it for regular books, but good default contrast is still important.

I guess that there are lots of users like me, who don't read PDFs on their eink reader.

I've tried KOReader. But for regular books it did nothing the default reading software (with patches) didn't. For me, that is. All my ebooks are sideloaded and manually edited, so I don't need the KOReader ability to override the css.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:40 AM   #35
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also don't read pdf's, and nor do I use koreader or any other 'enhancement ' on my ereaders. I guess if I did read pdf's I'd used my tablet. Not sure. Same as maps and photos and graphs etc in ebooks,, they really are best viewed in colour on a tablet, and pinch to zoom etc is simple and useful.
Advert
Old 12-04-2021, 04:14 AM   #36
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenji View Post
This whole 'swipe to wake' thing in the Forma is irking to hear about.

Is there a chance this might become optional in the software?
Is there a hack to get around it?

It might seem trivial but my whole love for the first Libra (H20) is it got me reading more cos it was so easy to just pick up and start reading. Adding the need for a swipe degrades that a little.

Lol I have a bad association with 'waking things up' because I did something to my X Redmi 2 that meant I could no longer fully wake it with the power button, requiring thousands of (to me) pointless swipes over the last couple of years. Really annoying when you're trying to quickly access maps to catch the next tram, train or bus!
There’s a patch for it. I don’t have it on mine.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:15 AM   #37
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I don't get what swipe to wake means. On my forma I use the sleep cover and I merely open the cover and the device is awake.

On my libra 2, (whilst I wait for my sleep cover to arrive), I lightly depress the power button and it wakes up. Same way to send the device into sleep mode, I lightly depress the power button.
It’s a ‘feature’ Kobo introduced in a software update. I had it on my new one yesterday. There’s a patch to disable it.

Last edited by Josieb1; 12-04-2021 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:18 AM   #38
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
It’s a ‘feature’ Kobo introduced in a software update. I had it on my new one yesterday. There’s a patch to disable it.
as I'm currently unaware of it, and haven't actually mistakenly activated it, I hope I don't
Old 12-04-2021, 04:21 AM   #39
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
as I'm currently unaware of it, and haven't actually mistakenly activated it, I hope I don't
I’m pretty sure it’s a Forma only feature
Old 12-04-2021, 04:24 AM   #40
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

i haven't updated my forma for a while, I tend to leave the software alone when I'm happy with it.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:10 AM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
The swipe up to unlock was a feature introduced with the Forma and is only on the Forma. I remember it being very popular

One of the updates changed it so it was less intrusive. But, I thought an option to turn it off was added. I don't have a Forma near me to check. There is an option for the config file "UnlockEnabled" to turn it off. Or turn it in on other devices. I don't remember if it is in the UI on the Forma.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:26 AM   #42
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The swipe up to unlock was a feature introduced with the Forma and is only on the Forma. I remember it being very popular

One of the updates changed it so it was less intrusive. But, I thought an option to turn it off was added. I don't have a Forma near me to check. There is an option for the config file "UnlockEnabled" to turn it off. Or turn it in on other devices. I don't remember if it is in the UI on the Forma.
I assume you are referring to
UnlockEnabeled=false in the PowerOptions section of the .kobo/Kobo/KoboeReader.conf file

And agreed this was very popular when it first came out in FW back in 2018! I loved it, loved to hate it that is

I don't see any setting in the UI for it on my Forma, at least not in the Energy Saving and Privacy settings page, which is where I would expect it to be.

I don't patch for this or use the conf file fix either one and never see this anymore so it sure seems to be less intrusive as you say. I do have the sleep cover so shouldn't see it anyway but if I do disable the sleep cover function in the UI I still don't see the swipe to unlock screen on my Forma but I likely don't remember the details in how to make it happen. I hated it when it was introduced but that was three years ago and my memory isn't what it used to be.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:33 PM   #43
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I edited my OP to include my final battery life measurements:

"I fully drained the Sage's battery (until the unit shut down), recharged it and read for one hour at a time until it shut down again. I got a total of 8 hours and 12 minutes worth or reading time. Here's the breakdown of charge used for each hour:

Hour 1: 100% to 92% = 8% battery use
Hour 2: 92% to 79% = 13% battery use
Hour 3: 78% to 63% = 15% battery use
Hour 4: 62% to 46% = 16% battery use
Hour 5: 46% to 26% = 20% battery use
Hour 6: 25% to 18% = 7% battery use
Hour 7: 18% to 13% = 5% battery use
Hour 8: 13% to 1% = 12% battery use (and then 12 more minutes for that last percent of the battery to go and the Sage power itself down).

So, along with the battery life of the Sage being only about 2/3 of the Forma's, whatever algorithm they're using to determine the State of Charge of the battery needs work. The supposed battery use for any given hour of reading in the same text-based kepub should not vary from 5% to 20%.

Also, the Sage seems to charge faster than the Forma. But, the difference isn't anywhere near what it should be by using a USB 3 port vs a USB 2 port. My Forma charged from 0 to 94% in the first hour, 94% to 99% in the second hour, and then fully charged to 100% sometime thereafter. The Sage went from 0 to 99% in the first hour and then to the full 100% charge 50 minutes later."

I'm going to give dark mode a try now and see if that makes enough difference for me to actually keep it.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:56 AM   #44
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Re swipe-to-unlock

Thanks Josie, Davidfor and Jimin' for that info.

Some might like it but for me it would add insult to injury lol:
you have to press a dodgy power button a few times AND swipe?

Last edited by LivresInOz; 12-05-2021 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:59 AM   #45
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLessnau View Post
Here's the breakdown of charge used for each hour...
Very generous of you Dave !