Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-23-2023, 06:13 PM   #1
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Can't recommend library books through Overdrive after April 30th

I just saw this message on my library account when I was checking to see what books I had already recommended for purchase. Anything you've already recommended through Overdrive will still be active, but anything you ask for from May 1st on will have to be through Libby.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:32 PM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I just saw this message on my library account when I was checking to see what books I had already recommended for purchase. Anything you've already recommended through Overdrive will still be active, but anything you ask for from May 1st on will have to be through Libby.
If you recommend through Libby, will the book automatically be put on hold in libby and overdrive if the library purchases it?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:38 PM   #3
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If you recommend through Libby, will the book automatically be put on hold in libby and overdrive if the library purchases it?
The notice doesn't say....

You can recommend 0 more titles for purchase.

On May 1, 2023, you'll no longer be able to recommend titles using this site. Your previous recommendations will still be placed on hold for you if they're added to the collection.
Instead, you can use Libby to express interest in titles we don't have and get notified if we add them.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:43 PM   #4
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Doesn't sound like it will be automatic.

Quote:
you'll get a notification and have the option to borrow it or place it on hold right away.
https://help.libbyapp.com/en-us/6115.htm
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 11:25 AM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
The notice doesn't say....

You can recommend 0 more titles for purchase.

On May 1, 2023, you'll no longer be able to recommend titles using this site. Your previous recommendations will still be placed on hold for you if they're added to the collection.
Instead, you can use Libby to express interest in titles we don't have and get notified if we add them.
Well that sucks for people who prefer to use the website over a shitty app. Or who don't have smartphones in the first place.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 11:35 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-26-2023 at 11:41 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 11:43 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Well that sucks for people who prefer to use the website over a shitty app. Or who don't have smartphones in the first place.
Libby is also a website. https://libbyapp.com
Old 03-26-2023, 11:49 AM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Oh. I did not know that.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 12:07 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Oh. I did not know that.
I've added all of my library cards to Libby so I can use it to make requests.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:33 AM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can someone walk me through how to recommend a title through the libby website. I don't see a "notify me" icon anywhere, and I don't see how to setup a "notify me" smart tag.

I'm trying to follow the instructions here:

https://help.libbyapp.com/en-us/6115.htm

Here is an example title:

https://libbyapp.com/search/nypl/sea...page-1/9496759

Please and thank you.

Edit: I have 5 libraries registered with Libby.
Old 04-04-2023, 02:31 PM   #11
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I got the same message at my local library, looks like a global change:

Click image for larger version

Name:	FA4EA561-306A-4134-A2D0-E02376F96F7A.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	200782
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 08:20 PM   #12
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Can someone walk me through how to recommend a title through the libby website. I don't see a "notify me" icon anywhere, and I don't see how to setup a "notify me" smart tag....
Click the little bell and if/when one of your libraries purchases the book you will be notified (either by email or push notification from the app depending on your settings). ETA: the Notify me and bell (see attached) appear below the picture of the cover if you are using the Libby website. I haven't set the app up yet so can't say how it looks there.

Note that expressing interest in a title does not put the title automatically on hold for you the way recommendations in Overdrive did. If/when you are notified you will have to manually place the title on hold.

If you have multiple libraries registered you will only receive a notification when the first library (whichever one that may be) buys the title. You will not be notified for each of the libraries registered.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-04 201835.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	200791  

Last edited by library addict; 04-04-2023 at 08:23 PM.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 08:29 PM   #13
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I filled out the survey on the Libby website re: automatic holds, but looking at the Overdrive FAQ it appears this was a feature not a bug so don't think it will be changing unless libraries request it do so.

Quote:
If my library acquires a title that a user tagged as Notify Me, is the user automatically placed on hold?
No. Users will receive a notification and can choose to place a hold or borrow the title (depending on its availability). This helps wait lists move more efficiently by not including holds for users who have acquired it elsewhere or are no longer interested in the title.
from: https://resources.overdrive.com/notify-me-faqs/ )I didn't see anything about why on the Libby FAQ, but it's possible I missed it there.)
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 05:39 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Click the little bell and if/when one of your libraries purchases the book you will be notified (either by email or push notification from the app depending on your settings). ETA: the Notify me and bell (see attached) appear below the picture of the cover if you are using the Libby website. I haven't set the app up yet so can't say how it looks there.

Note that expressing interest in a title does not put the title automatically on hold for you the way recommendations in Overdrive did. If/when you are notified you will have to manually place the title on hold.

If you have multiple libraries registered you will only receive a notification when the first library (whichever one that may be) buys the title. You will not be notified for each of the libraries registered.
Thank you for the help.

I'm using the website, and I don't see the bell. Is it because one of my libraries already has the title in its catalog? The problem is that one one of my libraries buy copies far ahead of release date (there are currently some for September), so I'm guessing the bell doesn't appear for any of the libraries because I can place a hold at 1 of my libraries.

I attached some screen shots.

For me, Libby is a case of 1 step forward, 3 steps back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-05 052241.png
Views:	96
Size:	791.8 KB
ID:	200806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-05 052410.png
Views:	91
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	200807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-05 052431.png
Views:	91
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	200808  
Old 04-05-2023, 05:49 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you for the help.

I'm using the website, and I don't see the bell. Is it because one of my libraries already has the title in its catalog? The problem is that one one of my libraries buy copies far ahead of release date (there are currently some for September), so I'm guessing the bell doesn't appear for any of the libraries because I can place a hold at 1 of my libraries.

I attached some screen shots.

For me, Libby is a case of 1 step forward, 3 steps back.
So I tried removing the library from my list. At first I thought this didn't work, because it I actually only removed the card, but the library was still active; a little confusing to me at first.

Switching to another card, it didn't work, because the library doesn't allow recommends, so there is no deep search.

So finally, switching to another library card, I was able to get the bell. So for me, the work around appears to be not to include the libraries at Libby that buy books far in advance, or add and remove libraries.

I think it is going to be tedious (for me) using Libby to get recommendations to my libraries.