alpreston began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
You can fix that by doing following:

open terminal, and run
sudo gedit /var/lib/dpkg/status

Search Kobo entry, somewhere down check line depends:
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libsdl-mixer1.2.....

Remove everything after : so that line contains only Depends:
(note that the line above is just an example, not real kobo depends: entry)
That worked for a while here, but today apt is complaining about it even with the "depends:: line cleared; says it can't parse the entry.
alpreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:58 AM   #302
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpreston View Post
That worked for a while here, but today apt is complaining about it even with the "depends:: line cleared; says it can't parse the entry.
Hmm. Maybe newer version of apt requires something in there. Try putting some dummy thing to depends: line, like libc6
(just put it without any version info)
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #303
Goeland86
Goeland86 began at the beginning.

Hi, I downloaded the .deb file today

Is there a list of pre-requisite libraries available, or do I need to do trial & error runs? I'm not on ubuntu (gentoo ~amd64), and I'd like to try out the Linux version of the Kobo app.

I decompressed it but I constantly get the error "libqca.so not found" - even though it's in the same folder as the Kobo binary.

I love the idea of Kobo on linux, so thumbs up!

(Just bought mine today before knowing they had a linux beta of the software going on, this is just icing on the cake!)
Goeland86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #304
Smylers
Smylers began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmanne View Post
has anyone managed to install kobo-desktop on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit? It looks that it has a different libzip library.
Yes. I downloaded libzip1 from here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archiv...9.3-1_i386.deb

And Kobo Desktop from here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2183775/kobo-desktop.deb

Then installed them both with gdebi, which pulled in any further dependencies required.

Does that work for you?
Smylers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:54 AM   #305
allenmaher
allenmaher began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smylers View Post
Yes. I downloaded libzip1 from here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archiv...9.3-1_i386.deb

Then installed them both with gdebi, which pulled in any further dependencies required.

Does that work for you?
I similarly got this working on 12.04 by downloading the libzip1_0.9.3-1_i386.deb and installing with dpkg -i
I also installed
sudo apt-get install libjpeg62:i386

Then the kobo-desktop.deb using dpkg.

And it is up and running... now to throw out the windows version I had been using through wine.
allenmaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #306
magdalencox
magdalencox began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:

Does that work for you?
Works like a charm for me (Ubuntu 12.04, Dell Vostro V13) - thanks for bringing this to my attention!
magdalencox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #307
Simon Taylor
Simon Taylor began at the beginning.

Device: none
64-bit desktop for Kobo Touch please...

wine doesn't work
and the 32 deb has had all sorts of problems over at Ubuntu

am running LinuxMint 13 64-bit
Simon Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #308
Simon Taylor

Any luck with this?
would like to hear more...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goeland86 View Post
Hi, I downloaded the .deb file today
Is there a list of pre-requisite libraries available, or do I need to do trial & error runs? I'm not on ubuntu (gentoo ~amd64), and I'd like to try out the Linux version of the Kobo app.
I decompressed it but I constantly get the error "libqca.so not found" - even though it's in the same folder as the Kobo binary.
I love the idea of Kobo on linux, so thumbs up!
(Just bought mine today before knowing they had a linux beta of the software going on, this is just icing on the cake!)
Old 07-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #309
Simon Taylor

dropbox returns error 404
Quote:
Does that work for you?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #310
snmilliken
snmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo,Kobo Vox & BB Playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Taylor View Post
dropbox returns error 404
Bump

Is there any plans to upgrade to version 3?
snmilliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #311
RainKap
RainKap began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905 and Kindle v4
Thanks very much for this application - I installed it (version 2.1.3) a few months back on my netbook (Acer Aspire One, running Mint 12 32-bit); however recently it developed a funniosity - wouldn't sync properly, so that a book I'd bought recently didn't appear in the library, though it *was* in the library on my Kobo Touch. I downloaded the deb file from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2183775/kobo-desktop.deb as given by Smylers in post #304 and re-installed, and I'm now back in business - started up the new version, it synchronised straight away, and the missing book is in the library. Great stuff!

I might get round some time to trying to install it on my big laptop and my desktop (both running Mint 12 64-bit)...

Thanks again

Ian
RainKap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #312
alpreston
alpreston began at the beginning.

desktop fails again

I had the Kobo desktop running on my 64-bit Kubuntu 12.04 machine, but since upgrading to Kubuntu 12.10 it no longer works. I've tried several of the tricks I did to get it working on 12.04, but that hasn't helped. I'm now getting the error message "Kobo: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib32/libnickel.so.1: undefined symbol: _ZN6QLabel9setPixmapERK7QString"
alpreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #313
code933k
Booze, Broads & Beelzebub
code933k began at the beginning.

Lightbulb

Quote:
I had the Kobo desktop running on my 64-bit Kubuntu 12.04 machine, but since upgrading to Kubuntu 12.10 it no longer works.
They will never keep up updating the desktop application for GNU/Linux. Stop complaining! It has been frozen for an eternity and I even offered to help with packaging and so on -for free.

This is a waste of our time.

Quote:
I've tried several of the tricks I did to get it working on 12.04, but that hasn't helped. I'm now getting the error message "Kobo: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib32/libnickel.so.1: undefined symbol: _ZN6QLabel9setPixmapERK7QString"
The best option you have at hand right now is using Chromium web
browser (or Chrome if you like spyware and backdoors). There is an app which renders obsolete the desktop one, due to the fact that the desktop application didn't even support hardware or self updates to begin with.

I keep using Kobo at this point just because their book prices aren't that bad and their hardware has not blown in my face.

Be happy and prosperous in free [as in freedom] software.

This myopic companies aren't doing any favor to us by supporting our system. It is in their own interest. But CEOs and sales people are often too self-invested to understand that.
code933k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #314
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by code933k View Post
They will never keep up updating the desktop application for GNU/Linux. Stop complaining! It has been frozen for an eternity and I even offered to help with packaging and so on -for free.

This is a waste of our time.
After a little bit of dependency hell, it runs beautifully on Arch.

Kobo Desktop AUR Page

While it may not run at all by next week, it's the best and only corporate ebook portal I know of that even exists for Linux, however "unofficial" and "unsupported" it may be.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #315
impert
impert began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
There is an easier way!

I wasted several hours trying to get kobo-desktop to run first on a Mac PPC, then on my 64 bit machine. (Multi booting GNU/Linux) Finally succeeded with Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid, only to find that there is a much simpler way which should work on any Linux, BSD, or OS/X machine. It comes from Antoine Amarilli, to whom I am very grateful. His blog is at:
http://a3nm.net/blog/fnacbook_kobo_hacking.html

Plug the device in and mount it if it doesn't auto-mount. Then in a terminal type a command similar to:
Code:
echo "insert into user values('foo', 'foo', 'foo', 'foo', 'foo');" | sqlite3 /mnt/kobo/.kobo/KoboReader.sqlite
I say similar to, because the path to the .kobo file may be different, and your PC may mount it at a different point.
impert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desktop, kobo, linux, software