Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Post Hey Smart Q7 Owners, Would you...

Would you buy a Smart Q7 if you did not own one now? I'm thinking of buying one. I'm interested in it for ebook and comic's only.
So would you choose a Smart Q again?
And for those of you who have tried multiple OS's, what works best for ebooks.
Thank You
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
Arg, I had a big min-review type up and lost it... sigh, short answer yes. Long answer, yes but you need to realize that you're going to be making some sacrifices in other areas versus a fully functional pc like the Archos 9 - but having the q7 I now realize that the Archos 9 would be too large for me to hold comfortably while reading in bed.

My favorite ebook software is Alreader2(free, wince) but FBreader(free, linux, preinstalled) is more than acceptable as well. If you use Alreader2 make sure to install the oh-so-excellent Droid fonts that FBreader uses.

My favorite comic software is Comic Reader Mobi(~$15, wince) but Comix(free, linux) is also available. The lens feature of Comic Reader Mobi is what really sets it apart.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
Would you buy a Smart Q7 if you did not own one now? I'm thinking of buying one. I'm interested in it for ebook and comic's only.
So would you choose a Smart Q again?
And for those of you who have tried multiple OS's, what works best for ebooks.
Thank You
I would.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
If its only for comix and ebooks then yes I would still get it. Much better than everything else I have tried.

Wouldn't use it for much else though, because its a bit slow, but it works great for reading comics.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:07 AM   #5
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post
...... Wouldn't use it for much else though, because its a bit slow, but it works great for reading comics.
A bit slow compared to what?
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Roguefan99, is page turning slow?
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
I would, but I only use it for ereading.

I didn't like FBreader on linux though, I found sometimes when I was reading it would jump to the end of the book and system meter would go nuts. Might be just a hick-up with mine. Not having that problem with Alreader on WinCE, however.

Page turns are quick on both FBreader and Alreader.

Don't use a comic reader, so can't comment on that.

Last edited by bjkel; 08-30-2009 at 06:34 PM.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:23 AM   #8
david83k
david83k began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ7, Sony PRS-600
Yes, I would buy it again.
I use it to read ebooks and RSS feeds, internet surfing in bed.
When I have received my WinCE license I will also use it as a
secondary monitor in Windows with the Innobec SideWindow software
and the Nokia CA-126 USB cable
(you can use it to charge and synchronize through a USB port,
hope that the Nokia charger fits)

Why buy a USB monitor http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/10/n...im-yet-toucha/ when you can have a MID for the same price?
david83k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:34 AM   #9
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Has Wince been translated to english yet?.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:44 AM   #10
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Has Wince been translated to english yet?.
Ver 2.0 for the Q5 apparently has a language option Chinese/English (no ver 2.0 for the Q7 yet) although I have not heard from anybody who says it definitely does. Houndx has written a WinCE cab that translates 95% of the current Chinese version into English, that works just fine for me on my Q7.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:15 AM   #11
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation.A.List View Post
Ver 2.0 for the Q5 apparently has a language option Chinese/English (no ver 2.0 for the Q7 yet) although I have not heard from anybody who says it definitely does. Houndx has written a WinCE cab that translates 95% of the current Chinese version into English, that works just fine for me on my Q7.
Oh, must have missed that, where can I get it from? is a licence required?.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:03 AM   #12
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Oh, must have missed that, where can I get it from? is a licence required?.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=houndx
and yes you need a licence for WinCE to work, you can buy a licence from http://www.jiongtang.com/shop/ OR htttp://www.allpmp.com
Old 08-31-2009, 10:22 AM   #13
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
Oh, built in English would be very nice. I'd like to see v2 for the Q7. I'm hoping the delay means they are working out more issues before releasing it.

I checked out that Sidewindow software and it's very cool, but apparently it doesn't work in Vista or 7 - too bad.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:22 AM   #14
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
Roguefan99, is page turning slow?
Page turning is okay in speed. Loading comic takes a bit of time depending on the size of the comic (if its a 200 page file you will have to wait, but for a 26 page comic its quick, about 20 sec at worst)

I wouldn't use it for any applications apart from the readers, e.g. web usage, because it feels slow and awkward (see the umpcportal review). Booting of programs does take a while but for the price this is to be expected.

Only complaint as a reader that I have is that I tend to get uncomfortable holding it, but I think thats probably because I'm trying to hold it like a book.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #15
alilxmas
Enthusiast
alilxmas has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SmartQ 7, VX787
Well my real purpose for this Q7 was to read txt files at work and also to read comics on and from work.

It works perfectly, most of my comic archives are about 50 pics in zip format.
I can fit alot onto a 32gb SDHC card.

It opens up the zip file and i can start reading them in about 10 seconds from the time i select the zip file.

Then just tap and hold down screen and select to rotate counter clock wise or clockwise doesn't matter, and select keep transformation, so all other pages will also be turned automatically.

After that you can just click the buttons to go back and forth or just touch the screen to advance to the next page. it loads up the next image very fast (basically when you click/touch the page and release its on the next page, no wait time)

Another nice feature is that when you reach the last image in the zip file, it will automatically load the next zip file that is in that same directory.

Some comics with larger text is fine in the windows mode (but when bother), but if the comics have small text you would want/need to use full-screen, then the text is very readable.

EDIT: well just made a zip file that was 95mb and contained 500 images and the Q7 handled it just fine, no lag loading it up and no problems at all flipping pages.

Last edited by alilxmas; 09-02-2009 at 04:58 AM.
alilxmas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comics, smart q7