Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
roa71@yahoo.com
roa71@yahoo.com began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Book Removal

I love the wireless feature of the Kindle. To be able to buy or sample a book while sitting there reading is awesome. However, wanted to relate a disconcerting problem I had last week.

A few weeks ago, I purchased the NLT Version of the Bible. In the process of using the book, I have made several notes and highlights throughout. I really like the fact that Amazon backs up your notes to their server. Thus, losing my Kindle will just be a financial loss.

However, I had a few issues with the formatting on the Bible. This is a 'red letter' book which means that the words of Jesus are printed in red. Since the Kindle does not support color, the decision was made to show the words in light gray, making them very difficult to read.

So, I sent an email to Amazon asking if there was an updated version or if they could work with the publisher to improve. Use a bold font instead of a light font. Something simple. I also emailed the publisher to make them aware.

A couple of hours later, I get an email from Amazon apologizing and crediting me the price of the book. Not exactly what I was after, but that's fine.

I then sit down with my son to read some with him and the book is gone from my Kindle. The refund process reached down to the device and removed it. I then emailed Amazon back since I was mainly concerned about my notes. They indicated that unfortunately, the notes are removed, once the book is removed.

Yes, the notes are still in 'My Clippings'. Though, I was told I would need to retype to add to the book if I repurchased. I was given a 5 dollar credit for my trouble as well.

My point is that I just had a concern about the book in question. Next thing you know, the book is gone. The downside to wireless, I guess.

Does anyone else use the notes and highlights to much extent? It's one of the best advantages to the Kindle for me. To know that all of my comments will be preserved forever with my account, regardless of what happens to my Kindle is huge. That is, unless you send a minor complaint about the book in question!

In the future, I will be clear to indicate that I do not want the book removed. Oh well..

Rick..
roa71@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I would always back up my notes and things to my computer, not rely on Amazon to preserve them.

I also had a book unexpectedly deleted by Amazon after I complained. I just restored it from my computer backup and kept reading.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert