Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-07-2015, 08:10 AM   #1
Ryn
Connoisseur
Ryn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sigil crashes on "close other tabs"

The program sometimes crashes when I use the function "close other tabs" - ALT-CMD-W / CTRL-ALT-W. This has been an ongoing issue at least since the 0.7 release, in the OSX builds. Especially on "large" books, with many xhtml files and many images. Once it has happened, sigil *seems* more prone to crashing on restarts, until a full system reboot. Would be nice if this could be addressed.

One more thing, in 9.1 the TOC dialogue box has a different response to the "enter" key. It used to be easy to generate a TOC and close the dialogue by pressing the enter key; now the enter key allows you to change the title for the first TOC entry, which subtly screws with my workflow. But I'll find a way around it, if I'm the only one for whom this is a minor annoyance.
Ryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm a habitual user of the "Close Other Tabs" feature and I've never experienced any crashes using it on Linux/Windows--in past or present versions of Sigil. Perhaps it's an OS X-only (or system-specific) issue. I'm not certain what constitutes a "large" book, but I think I have some that would qualiy.

I'll try loading some up and see if I can make it happen.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use the close other Tabs all the time (Windows 10, XP) V9.1

Most books I touch are under 1M, some have embedded fonts, some have lots of images. Been a while since I touched up a really big book (>5M)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi Ryn,

Huge numbers of crashing bugs have been fixed since 0.7 in Qt and some in Sigil. So crashes on closing windows was common in earlier versions since earlier Qt had issues with memory corruption especially on Mac OS X.

I can not get my build to crash using the close all windows but I am on Yosemite.

So using only Sigil-0.9.1 on Mac OS X, if you can get this to crash, please generate the crash report and copy its contents to a text file (no need to send it to Apple) and post it either here or pm me with it. Include information about your use of BV or Preview and even a epub (non-commericial) that causes the problem and steps to create it.

Thanks!

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryn View Post
The program sometimes crashes when I use the function "close other tabs" - ALT-CMD-W / CTRL-ALT-W. This has been an ongoing issue at least since the 0.7 release, in the OSX builds. Especially on "large" books, with many xhtml files and many images. Once it has happened, sigil *seems* more prone to crashing on restarts, until a full system reboot. Would be nice if this could be addressed.

One more thing, in 9.1 the TOC dialogue box has a different response to the "enter" key. It used to be easy to generate a TOC and close the dialogue by pressing the enter key; now the enter key allows you to change the title for the first TOC entry, which subtly screws with my workflow. But I'll find a way around it, if I'm the only one for whom this is a minor annoyance.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
Ryn
Connoisseur
Ryn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Funny thing; I can't get it to crash just now even though the book I'm working on is 60Mb and I've got all the images and xhtmls opened in tabs. It really should crash if the past is any guide, but I guess this is one of those days of misbehaviour. Almost X-mas after all... I'll report back when I get it to behave *properly* - ie crash. Once again, thanks for your replies.
Ryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2015, 02:26 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryn View Post
Funny thing; I can't get it to crash just now even though the book I'm working on is 60Mb and I've got all the images and xhtmls opened in tabs. It really should crash if the past is any guide, but I guess this is one of those days of misbehaviour. Almost X-mas after all... I'll report back when I get it to behave *properly* - ie crash. Once again, thanks for your replies.
It could very-well be certain steps unrelated to file-size. Maybe even some sequence of events that you do more often with big books. Keep us informed--especially if you discover a way to consistently reproduce it.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote