Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Exclamation No color *themes* in ShuBook SE? Please tell me I'm wrong!

Alas, I made an unexpected discovery yesterday. It seems ShuBook SE does not let the user change the colors of the night mode or set color themes!

Is that right?!!

For sure, it lets you change the default background and text color, but there seems to be no way of setting two themes and switching between them. I would like one color theme for daytime and one for nighttime.

The night mode seems to be only white-on-black--without any way of changing the color of the text!

Any work-arounds?

The system for changing colors is also the most convoluted interface I've ever seen for changing settings, especially colors, in any app--and I have hundreds, including a score or more that let you change colors easily!

Of course, it would help if the various settings pages would take on the color themes, too. Right now, they remain a glaring white background that ruins your night vision!
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
You have a LOT of control over the colours, and tney can be stored for night and for day. yes... convoluted, but it works.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 07-05-2013 at 11:38 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could you explain how to do that? That is, to create and switch between *two* *user-created* color themes?

It seems to have only one. After that, you can press the night mode button, but you have no control over its colors! It is always white text on black.

I have worked through ShuBooks' convoluted color setting scheme multiple times, but no matter what I come up with, you end up being able to set only one set of colors, not two.

This is dramatically different from what eReader and Stanza offered, which were real color themes-- e.g., you could create a Midnight Blue theme with blue text against a black background, along with a Midnight Gold, with yellow text, a daytime sepia, an afternoon parchment, etc.

Last edited by robinson; 07-23-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
Could you explain how to do that? That is, to create and switch between *two* *user-created* color themes?

It seems to have only one. After that, you can press the night mode button, but you have no control over its colors! It is always white text on black.
My apologies. You are absolutely right. What a pest. Have you emailed them about this?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
robinson
Zealot

ShuBooks SE strike two!

Need to do that!

Plus, I've discovered another irritating "feature".

Like Stanza, you cannot simply tap and hold on a word to get a definition pop-up! Instead, it brings up the paragraph surrounding the word. OK, that does permit you to copy and paste the paragraph elsewhere, but unlike Stanza, the word you tapped is NOT selected, so you have to hunt through the paragraph to find it!

With the paragraph having different formatting than the original, and even with shorter paragraphs, it can be a nuisance finding the word. At least in Stanza, the word remained highlighted!
Advert
Old 08-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard

Have you looked at Duokan? Its Chinese but you can get rid of the Chinese books it comes with and you dont have to access the chinese bookstore. Transferring epubs is by itunes add/dragdrop, open in if you d/l from online, or transfer via browser to its buildin ftp server. Theres not much configgability in terms of colour but the four themes are quite presentable. You do get a dictionary define popup, but you get several options when you highlight a word (Copy, Digest - dunno what that is yet, Note, Define, Share or Search). You can add your own fonts via wifi, too which is a bit nice.
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/duok...517850153?mt=8

All that said.. Marvin is on the brink of being released for iphone as part of Marvin 2.0 and you will likely find that fills all your needs and then some. I've pretty much given up on Shubook now.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 08-27-2013 at 10:57 PM. Reason: link added
Old 08-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard

Pfft, by the time you get back to look here, Marvin will be released (looking at your posts, you blow in, post, and dont return for a month in order to see if anyone replied :P)
Old 09-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
robinson
Zealot

Ha! Where's Marvin?

I'm glad that my posts and their timing are so important to you! It's clear that you need to get out more--or, at least, spend more time reading ebooks than being concerned with other posters!

Personally, I'm far too busy to simply hang around here taking cheap shots at other posters. I get the site's digest, in any event.

---------------------------------

Setting aside the repartee, you do offer some good insights around here...

Be back next month to see if you've replied!

Last edited by robinson; 09-02-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
kyteflyer
Wizard

I have absolutely nothing to say to that. marvin will be out when its out.