Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Isaac Asimov. Decisions, decisions

Have read a couple of Asimov's works which includes i Robot and a couple of other robot novels; loved them greatly.

I am a fan of Science Fiction, but heard the Foundation Series is not for the casual fan. Been advised to work your way up, if finding the genre 'more' interesting. So I ask, which books do you recommend of Asimov's I should read to 'ease' me in a little more into Science Fiction.

Thanks,

Dave
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
Have read a couple of Asimov's works which includes i Robot and a couple of other robot novels; loved them greatly.

I am a fan of Science Fiction, but heard the Foundation Series is not for the casual fan. Been advised to work your way up, if finding the genre 'more' interesting. So I ask, which books do you recommend of Asimov's I should read to 'ease' me in a little more into Science Fiction.

Thanks,

Dave
Well, I read the original Trilogy and Foundation's Edge in High School. They are not difficult reads. I am not a big fan of the books Asimov wrote after that in the series, but I love the original trilogy. None of the books in the original trilogy is very long and they are made up of shorter stories so they can be read in chunks fairly easily. They are typical of Asimov's style; plot often tends to move by conversation as opposed to action (Though there is a bit). Still, if you liked "I Robot", I don't think you should have any problem with the Foundation Trilogy.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
I also read and loved the original trilogy years ago. By today's standards, with series that generate doorstops endlessly, they're a piece of cake.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You've probably already read them... I loved the short stories, but Foundation I couldn't get into at all, stopped after reading half of the first book. Not sure why, don't even remember what it was about, I'll just have to get back to it sometime...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Frostschutz,

Kind of ironic since the first book was nothing more than a collection of short stories... maybe one or two novellettes in there.

--
Bill
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
Well I don't know how deeply you want to dive into Asimov's fiction but over the course of his career he began to tie his books together into a timeline starting with the Robot stories and ending with Foundation:

1. The Complete Robot (includes every story of I, Robot)
2. The Caves of Steel
3. The Naked Sun
4. The Robots of Dawn
5. Robots and Empire
6. The Currents of Space
7. The Stars, Like Dust--
8. Pebble in the Sky
9. Prelude to Foundation
10. Forward the Foundation
11. Foundation
12. Foundation and Empire
13. Second Foundation
14. Foundation's Edge
15. Foundation and Earth
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I simply do not agree. In my humble opinion the best way to get to know sci-fi books is to read the masters cold turkey, I would recommend that you go get copies of the Foundation trillogy, I read that one cold turkey and it was great. Next get a copy of Farenheight 451 by Ray Bradbury then fire up Netflix and watch Total Recall, thats another one of the masters of sci-fi. Next go download and read On Balsic (I hope I spelled that right) Station by David Weber, its in the free library and its available for $0. Next try Dune by Frank Herbert and read about Mau Dib and the effects of sound, "Those that can stop a thing can control it" and the Fremen warriors.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Didn't this come up quite recently? I'm sure I recommended The Gods Themselves on here not long ago.

I preferred it to Foundation, but Foundation was okay.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Didn't this come up quite recently? I'm sure I recommended The Gods Themselves on here not long ago.

I preferred it to Foundation, but Foundation was okay.
Last month. Which Issac Asimov novel should I start?
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
bill_mchale
Wizard

Well, I think the thing to remember about the original Foundation Trilogy is that it essentially is the foundation (yes pun intended) of an awful lot of Sci-fi. Pretty much any where you see a galaxy spanning empire, with corrupt leaders, or a fallen galactic empire, a second empire, a world spanning city and probably a bunch more I have not figured out yet, it traces back to these novels. The Gods Themselves, while a good and important novel is not nearly as influential on what came afterwards.

--
Bill
Old 02-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I would read the Foundation books in Publication order:

Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation

Then, if you like those, read some other books that integrate the Robot novels into the Foundation series and beyond (as cjr72 noted above.)
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the tips, guys and I apologise for starting another thread related to Asimov and what to read.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I agree with DrNefario: The Gods Themselves is a good place to start. It won the Nebula Award for Best Novel in 1972, and the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 1973.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #14
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
No problem, I have no qualms about repeating disucssions, often times thoughts get better organized when the topics are rehashed.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #15
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I agree that the original Foundation Trilogy is amazing. The Gods Themselves is also a fantastic single book.

And Asimov's short stories are also awesome.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote