Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #16
zcm1019
zcm1019 doesn't litterzcm1019 doesn't litterzcm1019 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Dictionary lookup of French words consisting of a letter, followed by an apostrophe and the rest of the word does NOT work properly in the Kindle for PC app and on the Kindle 3. Therefore I seriously doubt that they fixed this issue on the Kindle Touch. You might get a definition, but is invariably for the wrong word. (see attached files)
Feel free to prove me wrong. Simply download a French PD novel, search l’avait (or any other similar word), do a dictionary lookup and take a screen capture.
There is no such problem with k4's built in french dictionary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-18388.gif
Views:	334
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	83207  
zcm1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #17
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcm1019 View Post
There is no such problem with k4's built in french dictionary.
Thanks for testing this. This is good news for potential K4 buyers. BTW, what's your exact model and what's the firmware version?

Looking at the screenshot, it seems that you were able to position the cursor before the starting apostrophe. Where you able to select the apostrophe because you have a touchscreen model or did the cursor jump there automatically from the previous word when you used the right arrow key?

BTW, "Le Comte de Monte-Christo" is one of my favorite books.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 02:34 AM   #18
zcm1019
zcm1019 doesn't litterzcm1019 doesn't litterzcm1019 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Thanks for testing this. This is good news for potential K4 buyers. BTW, what's your exact model and what's the firmware version?

Looking at the screenshot, it seems that you were able to position the cursor before the starting apostrophe. Where you able to select the apostrophe because you have a touchscreen model or did the cursor jump there automatically from the previous word when you used the right arrow key?

BTW, "Le Comte de Monte-Christo" is one of my favorite books.
Firmware: 4.0.1 (1331440003)
Dictionary: Dictionnaire française de définitions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-1411.gif
Views:	288
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	83278   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-1412.gif
Views:	332
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	83279  
zcm1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #19
Ebenist
Ebenist began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I've more or less got over this problem now, perhaps in a not very elegant way but it works well for me. I now read the majority of books on iPad, using Goodreader, and I brought a French dictionary called Antidote. I set up the book I'm reading and Antidote in multitasking mode. In Goodreader it is extremely easy to highlight and copy any word, missing out the apostrophe and the article if necessary, then flick across to the Antidote dictionary and paste the word in to search for a definition.
This kills two birds with one stone, it solves the article apostrophe problem and it gives access to a French dictionary that is light years ahead of the Kindle's Miriam Webster.
I have not completely given up on the Kindle though, I live in Crete and like to read outside sometimes, where the bright light rules out the iPad, so I keep a copy of the same book on both devices.
Ebenist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #20
carnivroar
Enthusiast
carnivroar can illuminate an eclipsecarnivroar can illuminate an eclipsecarnivroar can illuminate an eclipsecarnivroar can illuminate an eclipsecarnivroar can illuminate an eclipsecarnivroar can illuminate an eclipsecarnivroar can illuminate an eclipsecarnivroar can illuminate an eclipsecarnivroar can illuminate an eclipsecarnivroar can illuminate an eclipsecarnivroar can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS-T1 White
So I've had the Sony PRS-T1 for over a month now and I've had no problems with it. I usually find 95% of the German words I need to look up, and virtually all French. I only wish it had monolingual dictionaries because I'd rather not rely on translating everything into English. But I could probably find a hack for that.
carnivroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #21
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivroar View Post
I usually find 95% of the German words I need to look up, and virtually all French. I only wish it had monolingual dictionaries because I'd rather not rely on translating everything into English.
In addtion to the free monolingual French dictionary that I already mentioned, the Kindle apps for PCs, Macs and Smartphones also come with the free Duden dictionary (Duden Deutsches Universalwörterbuch 7., überarbeitete und erweiterte Auflage, 2011), which will be downloaded on demand if you look up a word in a German ebook.
If you're an advanced speaker, you might find the German Open Thesaurus project useful. (You can download the word list and convert it to an ePub.)

Last edited by Doitsu; 03-09-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote