Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
ynot
ynot began at the beginning.

Device: nook 3g+wifi
nook dictionary replacement?

Hi,

I'm brand new here and am pretty happy with my nook 3g+wifi. I've got it fairly well figured out I think.

My chief compalint is that horrid dictionary. Is there a way to replace it with a better one?

Thank you.
ynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
ynot

Is there no way to put a better dictionary in the nook 3g+wfi?

The one that is it comes with is pretty poor.

I wonder if B&N put in a poor dictionary so we would buy a good one?

Last edited by ynot; 04-08-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #3
ynot

No one is responding because:

A. This was a stupid question which has been answered here previously. (I searched and found nothing about it. Maybe I used improper key words. Maybe I need a good dictionary to find the right words).

B. No one knows the answer.

C. People don't understand the question.

D. People need a good dictionary to help them understand the question and are relying on the nook dictionary to help them.

E. None of the above.

Last edited by ynot; 04-08-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
ynot

I guess no one knows the answer to this.

I'm surprised.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:13 AM   #5
ynot

So far we're 0-147.

Sounds like the combined records of the Yankees, Red Sox and the Tampa Bay Rays.
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
ynot

Anybody?

Amost 200 people have read this and none of them has an answer?
Old 04-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
Chikwako
Reader EZ
Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: √NC, √NST, Sero Pro
Sorry ynot, I don't know the answer to this one, I just wanted to intervene because this lack of answers has also happened to me.

To be frank, I never used the original dictionary (never bought a book from BN), because I have many books in other formats, which I'm pretty sure the original dictionary won't read.

I installed 2 dictionary apps in 2 different languages and use those, but to do that you have to root. They depend on your internet connection too, so you have to be connected.

Regards,
Chikwako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikwako View Post
To be frank, I never used the original dictionary (never bought a book from BN),
???

The dictionary has nothing to do with where the book is bought. Most of my books are sideloaded and I can use the dictionary. I very rarely do though, so I don't know how good/bad it is, but the few occasions I have used it it has worked well for me. So I have had no reason to look into any replacement.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #9
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
If you are talking about the built-in dictionary that is in the e-ink Classic Nook, then no, there is no mechanism for replacing that dictionary with another one, as far as I know. There is no mechanism for replacing ANY of the built-in apps that come with the classic Nook, unless you root it (see other threads).

I suppose you could buy a separate dictionary ebook if you could find one, but it would be very cumbersome to use, since it seems that the only way to look up a word would be to do a search on it, and you'd probably not find the true entry for that word on the first search, but have to keep searching till you got to it (unless the word was very uncommon).
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
I tried to get the Nook 3G to read the dictionary pdb dictionary from the ereader.com palm reader and it didn't recognize it as a book. It did read some other books for the palm reader.

Greg Weeks
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote