Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 03-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Question enTourage eDGe LCD Screen Responsiveness

With the usual apology for posting in this forum while waiting for the dedicated eDGe sub-forum, I've been noticing that in the reviews of the eDGe, a lot of commenters talk about the lack of responsiveness of the LCD screen. I've found this surprising, as I've seen almost immediate response to touch and stylus input in most cases, as fast or faster than with my Windows laptop. In fact, the reason I'm writing this post is because I'm finding it to be almost *too* responsive with regard to scrolling through pages by finger touch. On pages with a lot of links (e.g., the settings page or bookmarks page), I often accidentally click a link rather than scroll the page. Are any other eDGe owners encountering this, and more importantly, do you have any tips on how to avoid this? In the same vein, I'm not having much success using the stylus for page scrolling, so any ideas there are greatly appreciated as well. I have tried to find answers for this in the User's Guide and on enTourage's site, but there's been quite a bit to experiment with, even after two weeks of "playtime" , so I may have missed something. Thanks in advance.
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
I have the exact same problem with responsiveness. I find it odd that the reviews you mention point out a lack of response? It's the opposite. Like you, I am also looking for a solution to the problem of accidentally clicking on items as you scroll.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
I have the exact same problem with responsiveness. I find it odd that the reviews you mention point out a lack of response? It's the opposite. Like you, I am also looking for a solution to the problem of accidentally clicking on items as you scroll.

zetareticuli,

Yes, among others, CNET, Engadget, and Wired have all made some reference to "slow" or "sluggish" performance. I'm starting to wonder if I just got lucky or I have a completely different product than the reviewers . For instance, the Wired reviewer mentions "the eDGe's poor battery life: just about two hours of active use in our tests, and a mere eight hours on standby." As I write this, I've had the device off the charger since Friday morning at 10:00 a.m. (i.e., over 40 hours ago) and the battery status indicates 64% remaining. In this case, it may be that some reviewers are leaving the WiFi on, which I've found will deplete the battery at around the stated 6-hour mark. More to the point, as others have stated, I think the best feedback will come from individuals who are using the eDGe for *their* normal life and work styles. Of course, that doesn't mean it will prove to be a long-term success; only time will tell that. But, from my early experiences, it has been far more useful for its marketed purposes, especially for a first-generation device, than is indicated by many of these reviews.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Batman, I am beginning to suspect those reviews might be biased against the Entourage eDGe. I have not had such experiences. My overall experience with the eDGe is quite positive. The battery lasts about 6 hours of consistent heavy use. Last time I got 6 hours and 12 minutes of consistent use of both the LCD and the eInk display, using Wi-Fi just about the entire time. Standby is much longer, as you indicated. Aside from a few problems, most software-related, I find the eDGe is an excellent device. I consider it a great purchase.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
mgm1979
Zealot
mgm1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage eDGe
My fiance and I have found the same with respect to the screen response...I will say though (as I have elsewhere) that there is some slow response/lag when using the virtual keyboard, but that's about it. Hoping subsequent software updates will improve this issue, as was the case with the first generation BB Storm.
mgm1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
My battery life is poor but that's because (I think) the Edge doesn't go into power save when I close it. Hoping for the new firmware that addresses this.

The on screen keyboard is very responsive, for me I find that it works best with the stylus.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
hanmik
hanmik doesn't litterhanmik doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-600, PRS-900, eDGe (pre-order)
I think the LCD is very responsive. I have an Archos 5 IT and the eDGe is more responsive. I have found if I set the Android side to timeout after 2 minutes of non-use it helps with battery life.

I am looking forward to the up coming patch.
hanmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
My only gripe about the LCD touch screen is with clicks occuring to places on the screen other than what I am "physically" touching.

It seems that if I am lazy about how my finger approaches the screen, I can inadvertently click a link I wasn't meaning to click.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
mgm1979
Zealot
mgm1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage eDGe
/\ fat fingers???

Or literally ghost-clicks?
mgm1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm1979 View Post
/\ fat fingers???

Or literally ghost-clicks?
mgm1979,

Not sure about Paul's situation, but for me it's a combination of fat fingers and anything heavier than a flicking motion causing any link in contact with my finger to activate. I can maneuver around to blank spots on most web pages, but for pages like the bookmarks page and the settings page, it's almost impossible to scroll with my fingers or the stylus. Am I correct in assuming that no one else has found any screen sensitivity setting available, either? Thanks.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
fibrou
fibrou began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulckennedy View Post
My only gripe about the LCD touch screen is with clicks occuring to places on the screen other than what I am "physically" touching.

It seems that if I am lazy about how my finger approaches the screen, I can inadvertently click a link I wasn't meaning to click.
I am experiencing the same problem, especially when I am in landscape mode. For whatever reason, the "S" key registers either an "A" or "W" entry. The "A" key registers a "W" or "Q" entry. It is more of an annoyance than a problem, but I do not believe the problem to be "fat finger" directed, because the wrong letter entry occurs even when the stylus is used. Only after numerous tries can I get the correct letters entered. For whatever reason, the touch screen is extremely sensitive in the "A, S, W, Q" area, especially in landscape mode. Or, there are some other "problems" with the sensitivity I cannot correct.
fibrou is offline   Reply With Quote