Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Corduroy Mansions book 2 - starts on Monday

Alexander McCall Smith's second Corduroy Mansions novel is online in the Telegraph from next Monday.

BTW - does any happen to have saved the first book? I thought it was okay just to save the emails, but it turns out it's not available anymore, and I can't find it on the 'Net .... and I would really like to read it
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Panda Rose
Zealot
Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs505, Kindle 3, iPhone4
I saved it on my iPod. It drove me nuts as the episodes were so short and the blurb telling you it was a podcast took as long. Will look out for the new o e though.
Panda Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Alexander McCall Smith's second Corduroy Mansions novel is online in the Telegraph from next Monday.
thanks for the alert ! i just found the email in my spam folder.

Quote:
BTW - does any happen to have saved the first book? I thought it was okay just to save the emails, but it turns out it's not available anymore, and I can't find it on the 'Net .... and I would really like to read it
arg !! i need it too. i saved all the mails planning to wait till it was finished so i wouldn't have to wait for an episode, and then i forgot. if anyone saved it i would love a copy as well.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't checked my email in a couple of days.

I have the first book in text format. 627 KB.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Pfft, I tripped up in the very first sentence:

"William French, wine merchant, Master of Wine (failed), somewhere in his early fifties (hardly noticeably, particularly in the right light),..."

Should that be 'noticeable'??
Has this thing been proofed??

Andrew Sachs says 'noticeably' on the audio!! What's going on - am I missing sumfink??
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hm, i'm not sure, "noticeably in his early fifties" doesn't shock me... i could be wrong though.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hm, i'm not sure, "noticeably in his early fifties" doesn't shock me... i could be wrong though.
You're right! - I didn't read it the right way.

(In my defence I would point out that English isn't my first language - gibberish is.)
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
Panda Rose
Zealot
Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have decided that I don't want it as a podcast but to have it on my Sony, so I have signed up for the emails. I have missed the first 5 eps. Is there any way I can get them off the Telegraph site. Or is it better to ask a nice person here to send them to me, please?
Old 09-26-2009, 02:24 AM   #9
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Rose View Post
I have decided that I don't want it as a podcast but to have it on my Sony, so I have signed up for the emails. I have missed the first 5 eps. Is there any way I can get them off the Telegraph site. Or is it better to ask a nice person here to send them to me, please?
Me too. I also missed the episodes before correcting an email problem.

If anyone would be willing to email them to me I would be most grateful. (please, please?)

Thank you very much.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #10
wchris
Book lover
wchris began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
It is all on the Telegraph website. Find the Culture page from the top menu then Books.
wchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
(In my defence I would point out that English isn't my first language - gibberish is.)
something else we have in common.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wchris View Post
It is all on the Telegraph website. Find the Culture page from the top menu then Books.
yep, you can get all the episodes from the beginning online (they don't send the text in the emails anymore, word of warning for those who want to wait to have the complete book to read it !) here's the link :
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...alexandermcca/
Old 09-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #12
Panda Rose
Zealot

Ok so now I am being really "blonde". I have found all the eps, thanks, but how do I get them onto my reader. Do I have to make a copy, then pdf and then upload? i have tried that and I cannot do it. i think I will have to go back to my iPod!
Old 09-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #13
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ok so now I am being really "blonde". I have found all the eps, thanks, but how do I get them onto my reader. Do I have to make a copy, then pdf and then upload? i have tried that and I cannot do it. i think I will have to go back to my iPod!
I'm wondering too.

Thanks, wchris - I've found the episodes, but no downloads other than audio. Is it assumed that readers must copy/paste to a format, then upload to their readers??
Old 09-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I'm wondering too.

Thanks, wchris - I've found the episodes, but no downloads other than audio. Is it assumed that readers must copy/paste to a format, then upload to their readers??
yep, the telegraph apparently is not anticipating that people will want to read these chapters offline. CharlieBird has told me about a firefox plugin called page2pub which will save html pages directly into epub, sadly the site appears to be undergoing maintenance for now. but if you want to read the book offline you can either copy the text of each chapter into a word or html document, or save the individual pages and then if you like stitch them together into an epub book using sigil (that's my plan) or zip them and send them through calibre. be advised this method could be tricky because of all the extra text etc. in the pages ; some cleanup will be necessary.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #15
Skydog
Wizard

Thanks, zelda_pinwheel - I didn't know about the plugin and will certainly have a look.

In the meantime, I pasted the first six chapters together and am playing around with the result. I am a complete noob when it comes to creating a book, so this might be a good learning tool.

I plan to use Sigil => epub too.

Thank you!