Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Romance Recommendations

After many years as a virtual non-reader, my wife has suddenly started reading again and is ploughing through books at a rate of knots.

This re-awakened interest has coincided, more or less, with me replacing my Sony 650 with a new Sony T2, so I intend to give the 650 to Mrs Bilbo and load it up with a few books that she might like. We're not sure she'll like the e-reading experience, so I am looking for free (legally) or very cheap books in ePub format.

She read and enjoyed the Fifty Shades trilogy (I know, I still love her though ) and also enjoys Cecilia Ahern and Katie Fforde. Hopefully that gives those that know the genre an idea of her tastes.

All and any recommendations/suggestions gratefully received please!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:22 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
It's so hard to know what to recommend...because what someone likes ABOUT an author's books might be different from what another one does.

Was Fifty Shades her first exposure to erotic romance? If so, it could be that any kind of erotic romance would work for her: Maya Banks, Jaci Burton, Lora Leigh, Cheyenne McCray, Anya Bast. I could probably list another 3 dozen. Keep in mind, the works these women publish with the smaller independents (like Ellora's Cave) will be more explit/push more boundaries than the stuff published by the mainstream authors, in general.

On the other hand, if what she liked about Fifty Shades was the specific time of erotic romance (dominance/submission, BDSM), those would be a different list of authors or a specific subset of the above authors' books. I remember that Cheyenne McCray definitely had a series or two of BDSM with Ellora's Cave. It's not a subgenre I can stomach, however, so while I could probably find some names, I couldn't give an opinion on how readable/good the books were.

I think the appeal of Katie Fforde is that she writes what I consider "chick-lit" romance (as opposed to true chick-lit). It tends to be sillier and lighter? So she might like Katie MacAllister, Janet Evanovich, Jane Graves, Vicki Lewis Thompson...

I haven't read Ahern. I didn't think she fit under the genre title of "romance", although her stories may have romances. I just don't know enough about her writing to make a guess.

I wasn't thinking about costs when I listed these names, by the way. So they may all be currently in Agency prices and probably be more than you want to spend.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #3
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I would recommend having a read through the Romance Deals thread because there are a lot of cheap or free books listed in their and also the posters tend to share their recommendations and favourites https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=189628
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
If Mrs. Bilbo doesn't mind reading "older books" you can browse our MobileRead library here and search for books with the prefix "Romance". At least they are free.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Thank you, all. I'm sure Mrs B will be happy now!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
You could try finding authors similar to the ones she likes by entering the names at Literature Map.

I've read only one book by Cecelia Ahern (Book of Tomorrow) and wouldn't call it a romance. Frankly, I'm not sure exactly what it was, but it was interesting.

Marian Keyes and Jill Mansell might be possibilities.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
julid
julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'd suggest she check out the books Ellora's Cave puts out. They publish mainly erotic romance novels, and many BDSM themed books too, if that's what she's looking for. The Wild Rose Press also has a line of erotic romance novels called The Wilder Rose Press. Those are the first that come to mind. I hope this helps.
julid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Just some romance writers that I've read that should give you a range of options, though I don't think that any of them are available in free versions, though there might be discounts around:

Laura Willig (chick-lit/Regency)
Georgette Heyer (Regency romance)
Mary Balogh (Regency romance)
Susan Elizabeth Phillips (contemporary)
Suzanne Brockmann (contemporary/suspense)
Sandra Hill (humorous - contemporary/time travel)
Jennifer Crusie (humorous - contemporary)
Janet Evanovich (humorous - contemporary)
Nora Roberts (contemporary/suspense)
Karen Robards (contemporary/suspense)
Sandra Brown (contemporary/suspense)
Elizabeth Lowell (contemporary/suspense)
Anne Stuart (contemporary)
Emma Holly (romantica)
Robin Schone (romantica)
Nikita Black (romantica)

Would your wife be interested in the paranormal, horror and scifi sub-genres of romance?
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recommendations, romance